Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Ed Piskor commits suicide over being "cancelled" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Not changing my view that Social Media is a net negative on the Human Race.

Oh, not doubt about that.

Apart from these kinds of episodes and the incalculable negative effects on kids' self esteem and preventing them from developing actual real life social skills, you just have to take a look of a few of the latest elected presidents that "came out of nowhere" and used social media as their main platform to get to that conclusion fairly easily.

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This whole thing crept into my dreams last night.  I find myself very affected by it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's definitely been bothering me. To me this was a younger guy I 'knew' only via Cartoonists Kayfabe and perhaps I tolerated some language, and whatever information he wasn't totally solid on more because of that. I found the webcasts very informative in spots. I enjoyed the ones on FF #232-293 and the unpublished '70s FF tryout story. The last one I saw was about the Twomorrows history of the '80s book. :^(

So for an 'older' guy he seemed very young to me and that may effect how big a difference I might be able to imagine between 17 and 40. I think he may've had some inappropriate ideas but I guess I come from an (even) older generation now that usually 'deals with it' at the time and then often forgets... including even being outright grabbed a few times by people. I guess I'm lucky a loudish 'whoa' was enough, but a palm heel strike to the nose among other things I learned would be solid punctuation followed by my leaving/closing the door on that person. Everything crashed down well beyond proportion on Ed Piskor even dragging his family into the drama, and I/we can't entirely imagine what that must've been like. Nor what it's like at a young age to get talked into taking explicit pics for who knows who on the other side of a device and then have that held over them.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I've been really ticked since it happened.
Just seeing these self-appointed Internet Cops criticizing his suicide note like they a)had nothing to do with this and b)it was written in a perfectly normal state of mind and Ed just "made a bad choice" is infuriating. Like it was always an option for him even if his life hadn't gone to hell in the space of a week.

I am not easily offended, but these asshats offend me.  

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah. Just took a quick scroll through the comments on the Fantagraphics posts about it, and a depressing volume I've seen is along the 'he deserved it' kind of tack.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This one has hit me hard, too. I enjoyed Cartoonist Kayfabe a lot. I didn't agree with them and often vehemently disagreed with Ed but I enjoyed that they came at it with a sense of being pros and fans and educated in the field.
I actually preferred Jim and found Ed to be a lot to take. I would probably have not wanted to be friends with Ed in real life but he was interesting to listen to.
I found the behavior outlined by the original woman Molly to identify him as "kind of creepy". I don't think he was a threat (and as far as we can tell neither did she). But I was willing to see where it all shook out before landing on judgment. 
His suicide is a shock. His sharing of this extremely clear-eyed statement of his is shocking. I've not see that many suicide notes but this one seems so matter of fact that it's really bracing. I appreciuate that he takes reposnibility for at least being "dumb" or foolish in his interactions toward the first Molly. 
This section in his open letter is gutting- " I’m sorry to my family for making such a mess (no pun intended) and for creating this hassle. I wasn’t trying to be a creep. I’m also sorry to everyone who got this note and the baggage that may or may not come with it depending on how well we knew each other. 

I knew I wasn’t going to be able to survive this. Comics is beyond a profession to me. It’s everything. That might sounds sad and pathetic to some, but this culture and medium gave me the greatest joy in life. 

Im doing it out of intense shame. We’re not built to have hundreds (maybe a few thousand?) people judging and/or harassing us at once. A private and solitary mind can’t take it."Oof, I wish he had seen a way out of it. So sorry for his friends and family. 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Watched the 'new' Kayfabe on Tom Strong posted today... whenever it was made he was still promoting that gallery show meant to have opened on the 6th, which will now be after his funeral. Never seen so many comments on a youtube post before. :^(

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I was hoping that Jim would follow Ed's request to post finished videos and hopefully continue the channel.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The internet can sometimes just seem like voices screaming in your head. I've spent the last few months watching the Gaza/Israel war unfold, with all the myriad human suffering compounded by a shrill and grotesque stream of comment threads and partisan takes. Only reading and not contributing, I've still managed to put myself in a state of constant, historical paranoia and anxiety.  I can't even imagine (and never want to imagine) what Piskor must have been going through, having all of that kind of energy suddenly directed at him, while at the same time watching his career collapse and his community evaporate, all in the course of a week.

It's a dicey thing to comment on. You don't want to minimize the pain that he put others through, and you don't want to paper over his behavior.  But the post-suicide trolling is deeply fucked up.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Rebecca wrote:
Watched the 'new' Kayfabe on Tom Strong posted today...

You're braver than I am. I don't think I'll be able to watch any for some time - I honestly still can't watch any Anthony Bourdain shows.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2024 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I felt it was horrible the way the mob hounded Ed.  People accusing him of being guilty with no more evidence than some out of context screenshots.  
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2024 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I've not heard they ever even met in reality. I did hear she kept communicating with him, a 'creep', for years.

In looking for an enemy that can be demonized and fought righteously against anyone questioning that instantly become a terrible person defending the absolute worst imaginings you can have and therefore deserve terrible treatment and extreme rudeness. There then you have gone way over the edge.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version