Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Ed Piskor commits suicide over being "cancelled" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2024 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Ed's note if you don't have Facebook : Link
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 April 2024 at 10:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Jesus.  I know nothing of who this is, the situation, any of the players or anything other than the final outcome, but that note is a gut punch.  Brutal.

Never read anything like it.  
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2024 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I couldn't face the new Kayfabe upload today, have to take a break for awhile. I watched one of the Disney Duck ones yesterday and someday will hopefully check out the others on Carl Barks.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2024 at 9:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I had to watch the new upload today as they were reviewing Babe #1.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

They've posted his obit over at TCJ: https://www.tcj.com/ed-piskor-1982-2024/

The comments section there is closed, in a sad reflection of the fact that the people who he felt hounded him to his death are still determined to do so after his passing.

They also will be posting reminiscences in a few days.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Conrad, your link leads to a restricted GoogleDocs file that won’t open.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It opened fine for me.

I've heard his name before, but didn't follow his career. If those were the guys that reviewed JB's Elsewhen then I did hear his voice and see his hands in part of an episode.

As the Obit says, incredible how quick someone's life can be obliterated in about a week to the point of ending one's life. 

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

James: Google Drive stuff is iffy in the UK.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 5:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks Dave.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I work in media production and I use the phrase "Don't tell me you're...." very frequently, and to me, it's always meant "It makes me feel older that we're co-workers" there's no sexual component to it.

What a sad situation.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm sorry James, I can't find one that's not the Google Docs one or the Facebook one (I don't have Facebook anymore).
Googling only reveals a huge amount of references to it or links to the Docs version.

Also did I miss where he spells it out, or did Bleeding Cool's coverage make it seem like Ed died of natural causes or something?  Link

(edited to use correct name! )

Edited by Conrad Teves on 12 April 2024 at 6:43pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2024 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I see some people have been calling this murder. Unfortunately it's not quite that clear cut. Although a couple people definitely were attacking him for quite awhile and able to effect him severely, it was he who did himself in. You'd think just living with a crappy day job at worst would still be better than nothing, not that it would be at all fair, but I guess from the thing he wrote before hand he thought this would do something to his enemies by ending his own life. From what I can gather it hasn't. Sadness upon sadness.

All these people are younger and different from me. I don't understand the emotions about a comics scene entirely, or having some sort of standing in it. If you want to make comics you make them and people who will like them either find them or don't. I think the talking over comics videos of the two guys was definitely a positive and got others jazzed about some of the subjects they looked at, and informed and were generally quite intelligent, and that helped bring some attention to their own comics. I liked and still like some rap, have been aware of it for longer than Ed Piskor was alive, but again know little of a hip hop culture or scene. I think some stuff is cynical b.s. aimed at white suburban kids wanting to tick off their parents, but that now is also decades long situation. I think that generation younger than myself is lacking some things, and maybe they have some things older people sometimes haven't developed... generalities don't hold much water though. I wish people would back off and perhaps drop a lot of the edgy type positioning thing or choice of language, but I can see through it and I saw this guy really loved good comics and wasn't all ego and swagger but actually wanting to enthuse and spread the stoke.

Definitely a loss. Today there was a 'new' Kayfabe on a 1984 Macross comic and I watched that, maybe because I never did have that one though I had a lot of early Comicos as they were appearing and I watched Robotech fairly avidly. Now I feel better I never got that issue and probably won't, so even after death this guy has done something positive for someone. Maybe I went though my hating comics period already (1987-on) and have come back from it much to my own surprise. It seems a lack of such an experience could exist for there people perhaps too involved in the 'scene'? Like they can't imagine going off and not having any contact for years... too close? Yeah, go, read other things, do jobs that mean less or nothing, and then come back with a more healthy perspective? Pull the plug. Villains will come and villains will go, and heroes too... in other words don't get so self-important nor too addicted, especially not about having an image or a stature that people can attack and even take away.

Almost a month later I still wish this guy was still around. It seems sick he isn't, but I also feel a bit that he let them do this to him, that he was missing something, and I'm sorry he was, and now some of us are missing him. Lose, lose. :^(

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version