Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Ed Piskor commits suicide over being "cancelled" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 4:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'm just in shock

https://www.thewrap.com/ed-piskor-dies-suicide-hip-hop-famil y-tree-artist/
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Shocking.

Not up to date with what exactly happened RE:Cancellation but really sad, awful news.

I'm a big fan of his Grand Design books (great source for filling blanks in X-Men history in a super fun and entertaining way) and of course Cartoonist Kayfabe his YouTube channel that made me discover a lot of stuff and showed real love for the art form.

He was my age, hard to take.

RIP

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Among other things, Jim Rugg ended their working relationship, although in his suicide note he says "Jim Rugg came to my house unsolicited and gave me a hug and told me he loves me. If you know Jimmy, you know how huge that is! ". In the note, he says he was murdered by internet bullies.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A couple (maybe three?) women posted texts he had sent them promising
to introduce them to his agent and publisher and whatnot in exchange for
sexual favors and such. One was 17 when he started it with her and it
looked as though he was continuing to do it with her up until present day. I
don’t know the circumstances in which the women shared everything, but
this started about a week ago.

I certainly enjoyed their CK interviews and their CK courtroom installments
but couldn’t stand their comic book reviews. Mostly because of Piskor. He
was so demeaning and disparaging with the attitude he was the only one
who knew what he was talking about and would poo poo art by classic
Marvel or DC artists but would always heap praises on Liefeld. I just
stopped after their review of GSXM 1. He made some comments about
Dave’s work on that and that was it for me. Rugg was the one out of that
pair that I really liked.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wow, that's some rough news to wake up to. I watched Kayfabe pretty regularly but wasn't enough in the loop to be aware of any of the allegations or even that the feed had stopped over a week ago. I definitely enjoyed their analyses, in part because of where we disagreed and how much fun it can be to just disagree with someone's hot take - which is the spirit in which I took the show.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A couple (maybe three?) women posted texts he had sent them promising
to introduce them to his agent and publisher and whatnot in exchange for
sexual favors and such. One was 17 when he started it with her and it
looked as though he was continuing to do it with her up until present day. I
don’t know the circumstances in which the women shared everything, but
this started about a week ago.

According to this video featuring Robert Meyer Burnett (who reads those online texts in his video), that's not quite what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHFdkp59bDs&ab_channel=THEBU RNETTWORK

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This is really sad and if these allegations against him are proven either untrue or not quite what his accusers claim them to be, then it us also messed up and could open his accusers to have legal issues against them. RIP.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Bizarre! Known to me solely via some Kayfabe vids.

I see there are lots of new youtube vids about him, hard to know what to make of it all... people with various axes to grind.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 02 April 2024 at 6:48pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2024 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I definitely enjoyed their analyses, in part because of where we disagreed and how much fun it can be to just disagree with someone's hot take - which is the spirit in which I took the show.

Yeah, me too. It was called Kayfabe, after all.

Got a peek on Twitter and obviously the worst kinds are using this terrible situation to go all anti-woke cancellation mob, predictably.

While I recognize that, that someone decided to end his life over being exposed as a creep via messages also seems insane to me.

Strange times.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 12:33am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

In summary it seems someone in their early 20s now shared some online chats she had with Piskor back when she was 17 and he was twenty years older, which began when she was 'liking' a lot of his art. One of the things about him saying to her not to tell him she's 17 rang to me like back when I was 19 an older artist said something about how they weren't as good when they were that age (someone should break your hands, ha ha), but some seem to take that as some sort of jailbait type reference. I have no interest in the guy's comics, what I've seen looked okay, the rap music history looks like it might be particularly well done, so I'm neither 'against' or particularly 'for' on that level, I'm just not seeing that comment about don't tell me you're 17 as anything sex related.

So she calls him out as a creepy older guy. In their messaging to each other he mentions something about her keeping a secret which some say was about art not yet finished for publication he'd shared, others that this is what a 'groomer' says, which they do. Add a few lines with capitalized letters by someone still fairly young. Unfortunately someone he did have real actual contact with then 'piled on' about how he had made a comment about a sexual favor in exchange for giving her contact info on his agent... no chat 'evidence', not much context (bad attempt at being edgy rather than serious?), I'm not sure if they were ex at that time or still involved physically. Now it's allegation(s), he's been up to no good twice with females. More smoke, are there other fires?

What happens in the wake of those two disclosures is that an exhibition of Piskor art is postponed and probably cancelled, and a book deal collapses, based on 'why take chances' probably, and a local newspaper picks up the story which makes things very uncomfortable for him and his family where he lives. Oh, and the guy he had been doing hundreds of popular web casts with doesn't want to be seen with him ever again. Various online pundits and social warrior types pile, some who likely simply don't like the guy for whatever reason, and probably most never even had met him. The guy ends himself feeling ruined, with no way back despite apologies and admitting to being stupid, and figures too many people will now hate him as a sex predator or even a pedophile (if you consider 17 but a 'school girl' to be what that's about, the state of Pennsylvania has an age of consent of 16).

Basically things seem very out of proportion in various ways, ways that seem to be fairly common in the social media/virtual town hall sort of environment we have at least some contact and experience with. Lose-lose... everybody loses! I wish he could've found some other way to cope obviously. This does seem a time of many victims and many bullies, and adding the internet and even other media seems to exaggerate exponentially. Mob 'justice' however is nothing new at all.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 03 April 2024 at 1:45am

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"Dogpiling" (after a while) was considered Bad Manners on the internet back in the wild and woolly Usenet days, but now it can be done in a massively distributed fashion that's impossible to police.

If you're not mentally prepared to be massively multi-hated (like a politician), this is precisely what is likely to happen.  

Seeing some defensive, (paraphrasing) "this is awful, but still gonna hold people to account when they may have done something "inappropriate" on X.  I love the assumption of moral superiority there.

We're so much better at being unkind than kind.

Not changing my view that Social Media is a net negative on the Human Race.

None of this was worth a man's life.

Bob Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 April 2024 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

For those coming in late, please choose Rebecca's summary over Brian's hasty skim of the situation.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version