Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: What coulda been, what shoulda been, what will never be AT ALL! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 16 2019 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That MT-U run was the first run I ever completed of JB’s by solely scouring the back issue bins. And that was when I was a teen. 

I found all of IRON FIST except for 1 and 14 and did have to rely on eBay for those years later. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: April 16 2019 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Having Tony as the regular inker on MTU would have done wonders for my art. He was such a superb artist in his own right it would surely have compelled me to push even harder on my own stuff.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 16 2019 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Loved the art on MTU #70! I'd have thought that it would occur to somebody to have JB and DeZuniga as the art team on the regular THOR book!

I always liked Dave Hunt's inking. My first JB art was inked by him (an issue of MTU, the second half of a story with Yellowjacket and the Wasp and a villain called Equinox.). Lately, I've seen a lot of displeasure expressed about his work. I enjoyed him most over Kurt Schaffenberger and Don Newton. His stuff over Curt Swan was decent but I think I was just happy that Frank Chiaramonte wasn't doing it anymore!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 16 2019 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh, and getting back on-topic, I recall a couple of series to be written by Len Wein being announced at DC but never happening that I thought sounded intriguing: ZERO MAN and a fantasy series called PANDORA PANN.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 16 2019 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Looking into the mystery of Pandora Pann on-line, I found a website which listed a number of unproduced series and issues, nearly all of which sound interesting on some level or another (as solicitations tend to do.) 

While I'm fairly certain I'd have hated how dark and twisted the results would likely have been, DC's "Metropolis" line headed by Steve Gerber and Frank Miller might have produced some eye-opening moments. 

Similar in its potential to disturb and disrupt would have been Miller and Sienkiewicz's "Wonder Woman: Bondage" project. However it turned out, no doubt people would have been talking about it. 

The unproduced Rachel Summers "Phoenix" mini-series by Claremont and Leonardi would have been visually arresting, no doubt, as a Leonardi take on the world of "Days of Future Past" would have been a treat. 

Barry Windsor-Smith was said to have been working on a Thing mini-series that has been rumored to appear a couple of times here and there.

There was supposed to have been a "Superman 3-D" book done by JB in much the same vein as the Batman book he did, introducing a new villain for the Man of Steel called Tantrum.

The Uncanny X-Men/New Teen Titans #2 by Wolfman and Perez mentioned earlier upthread was to have featured the Hellfire Club and Brother Blood as its villains. That would have been something to see.

And of course, the Kirby "Prisoner" and Adam Hughes' Wonder Woman book remain treasures lost to the vagaries of fate.

Russ Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 17 2019 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ever since JB mentioned that he'd floated the idea of JR Jr. taking over art chores on the FF so that he could keep writing it when he jumped over to Superman, I've tried to imagine what a five year Byrne/Romita run on that book would have looked like.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: April 17 2019 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Ever since JB mentioned that he'd floated the idea of JR Jr. taking over art chores on the FF so that he could keep writing it when he jumped over to Superman, I've tried to imagine what a five year Byrne/Romita run on that book would have looked like.

••

As have I!!

At least we got a whisper of it on IRON MAN.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 17 2019 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian H., I have to speculate about those Wonder Woman stories; with titles such as Bondage and Prisoner, I'm wondering if those were just the WW rape scenes that have been referred to frequently. In the glum and gritty era of the 80s and 90s, it might have seemed a juicy story.

Of course, Mr. Byrne is consistently right on the topic; replace Diana with Batman and ask if the story still works. Methinks it fails hard, whether it sells well or not.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 17 2019 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Len Wein and Dave Gibbons were also planning to launch a spin-off title from their Green Lantern run called "The Image" featuring one of the supporting cast Clay Kendall as the main character.

Dick Giordano announced it in his "Meanwhile" column, but it never happened as they both departed GL quite suddenly.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 17 2019 at 10:02am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I’d never heard about JRjr on FF! Wow

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 17 2019 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Eric, Kirby's "Prisoner" had nothing to do with WW. It was an adaptation of the Patrick MacGoohan television series. 

I agree that the Metropolis line and the Miller/Sienkiewicz "Bondage" were likely to be sexually exploitative journeys into the fetishtic history of the character, tinged with a very modern level of violence and grime. 

When Kirby came over to DC, he asked what the company's lowest selling book was, so he would not be displacing a creative team who weren't already on their way out. He was told Jimmy Olsen, and that's why Darkseid, Morgan Edge, and the Fourth World all have their origins in that title. I have occasionally wondered what would have occurred had DC replied differently and Kirby has assumed control of Wonder Woman instead. The New Gods would likely have come in literally replacing the old and causing no end of chaos for the Amazons and Paradise Island. It is an image to conjure with. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: April 17 2019 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Thinking it over, Miller and Sienkiewicz's "Bondage" might actually have worked with Batman in place of Wonder Woman. He and Robin did get tied up an awful lot... :-)

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version