Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: What coulda been, what shoulda been, what will never be AT ALL! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think DC had originally planned a series with the original Charlton heroes they
acquired...I would have been interested in seeing what they did with that.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Two words: Doom Wars

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 11:55pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB tells the story in "The Art of John Byrne" of an issue of What If he and Claremont were to have done asking the question, "What If Magneto Had Formed the X-Men?" I was disappointed when that never came about. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric Jansen wrote:
SUPERBOY & THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES--Jim Starlin's follow-up to his brilliant issue #239 (possibly my all-time favorite single comic issue) was supposed to be a big special with twice the pages but was instead whittled down by the new editor to two regular issues, inked by the totally inappropriate Dave Hunt, prompting Starlin to call himself "Steve Apollo" and never go near the Legion again.  In hindsight, 239 and the sequel would be the type of thing to forever be reprinted in all formats (including oversized hardcover "ultimate" or "artists" editions) and possibly spawn a billion-dollar movie.  But, hey, editors have to show artists who's boss every so often, right?

That was a disappointment, I agree.  The special was cancelled due to the DC Implosion, and the material from it was not published until a year later.  Starlin says he drew it expecting Joe Rubinstein to ink, and left his pencils rougher because he knew how Rubinstein would finish the art.  But when it came time to complete the work a year later, Rubinstein was no longer available and that's why Dave Hunt was assigned.

I don't think the editing was done to "show Starlin who was boss" but rather to make it fit into two regular issues of the comic.  The most puzzling thing to me is that they took a 48-page story and wound up only using 31 of those page, writing off the other 17.  I wonder why they did not simply extend it to a third issue, which would have enabled them to print the story more or less as originally conceived.  It's bizarre that they wrote off 17 pages of Starlin art.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 April 2019 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dave Hunt was the only bad thing about the Claremont/Byrne MT-U run. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 12:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Dave Hunt also finished off Curt Swan's SUPERMAN run, which was especially sad after Al Williamson's beautiful inking stint, his thick lines obscuring Swan's subtleties.  Not that I necessarily hated Hunt--he looked good on Kurt Schaffenberger.  It's all about appropriate pairings.

So, again, I blame the LEGION editor for picking Hunt, as well as dumping Starlin's 17 pages.  (And if it sat around for a year, it's not like they were rushing to meet a deadline.)  And, actually, I asked Starlin about the issue a couple of years ago at Comic-Con and I forget exactly what his answer was, but I think that's where I got the "editor showing him" impression.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 16 April 2019 at 12:35am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 6:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Dave Hunt was the only bad thing about the Claremont/Byrne MT-U run.

••

Maybe not the ONLY thing, but I'll admit I didn't care for his inks. In the Tigra issue (taking my cue from Dave Cockrum) I inked one page myself, to show how I wanted her hair inked. Didn’t work.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ah. I’ve long wondered who did that page. Had no idea it was you. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Now I’m thinking of that MT-U Thor issue with DeZuniga inks. 

Swoon

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 3:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yes, big fan of the DeZuniga inks on that issue.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So many things in comics go on FOREVER with hundreds of issues (I'm thinking of the overblown muscle-bulging art in the X-MEN of the 90's, but there are plenty of other examples), and we only got ONE issue of DeZuniga inking Byrne!  You'd think some editor, some where, some time might have said "Hey, let's do that again!"

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That issue, Marvel Team-Up #70 was the second issue of the title I'd read as a kid (the first being #44 by Mantlo and Sal Buscema) . Even as a kid I could tell there was something special about the art on Marvel Team Up #70. It was my earliest exposure to Byrne art before I even knew that there were people that made comics. The next comic I got with Byrne art was Avengers #181 and it pretty much sealed the deal on making me a lifelong comics and John Byrne fan. The Neal Adams influence was strong while still being very much John Byrne art. In my opinion, it was likely the best looking comic on the stands the month it was released.  In retrospect as a an adult having gotten and read that whole run (plus the earlier Mantlo/JB issues and many others), it's a shame DeZuniga didn't do the rest of the MTU issues.  

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version