Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: What coulda been, what shoulda been, what will never be AT ALL! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The rest of JB's Avengers West Coast run.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The rest of John Byrne's Hulk run and the second Cold War mini-series.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The JLA/Avengers deluxe set had all the remaining art from the 80s Avengers/JLA  It was about 15 pages, uninked and uncolored. Beautiful stuff, but it only got through the first chapter and a half... all that was ever done as I recall.

Mr. Byrne's FF without powers would seem to me to be, effectively, the Challengers of the Unknown (ref. Amalgam's "Challengers of the Fantastic.") That's not a complaint; I would LOVE to see Mr. Byrne's take on the Death Cheaters!

It seemed to me that IDW's "Byrne Super-verse", with Trio and Helix, had many more stories to tell, and I would have loved to see those.

I'd've loved to see more of Danger Unlimited. Maybe they were set in that prior BS-v... there were several super heroes in DU (including the Torch of Liberty, whom I would enjoy seeing more of as well!)

In general, most of the Byrne books that got cut off - Captain America, X-Men (although Elsewhen whets the appetite!), Fantastic Four, the Hulk, etc.

I really wanted to see the OTHER ending to Crisis on Infinite Earths. I talked to a couple of DC pros who said that if sales and response weren't good on COIE, there was a storyline to revert everything back to "status quo."

Mr. Byrne has noted that he had a storyline to go from "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" to "Man of Steel" organically; not simply a dead stop and restart; but a story that reverted everything naturally. It sounded great!

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 7:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB and Chris Claremont's "What If...Magneto Had Formed the X-Men?"

JB's SHAZAM!

JB's announced FREAKS series for DC.

Edited by Eric Smearman on 13 April 2019 at 7:18pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2019 at 8:44pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

DANGER UNLIMITED. I still look at the DU Timeline thread from 2006 and think damn, I would have liked to have seen those stories:

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 12:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

1.  The X-Men/Legion of Superheroes crossover by Claremont and Cockrum, circa 1982.  When DC's New Teen Titans book took off and unexpectedly became DC's best seller the Titans were swapped out for the Legion, and Dave dropped out of the project.  Seeing Dave draw the two teams he made famous would have been amazing. 

2.  Howard the Duck revival series circa 1986.  After Gerber settled his lawsuit with Marvel he was slated to return with an all-new Howard the Duck series.  He wrote the script for the first issue (a parody of Secret Wars, Crisis, and "event" stories in general) but Shooter asked for changes that Gerber wasn't willing to make, so he took his script and walked away.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 2:03am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JESUS--I understand Frank Miller was intending to do a life of Christ comic, but was derailed by 9/11.  As a Christian, I find that both intriguing and scary at the same time.  Nonetheless, I think his SIN CITY art style mixed with 300 would have fit the desert-set epic quite nicely--I mean, I can practically picture the whole thing in my head!

OMEGA THE UNKNOWN--I think Steve Gerber's basic plot was genius, but it might have worked better if it had shown up in the 60's or 80's, and then it sadly ended on a cliffhanger that was ultimately finished up by somebody else.  (Of course, I would take another 100 Gerber issues on anything he ever worked on.)

SPIDER-WOMAN--I've mentioned this before, but Mark Gruenwald's relatively short run of this Los Angeles-set series is one of this LA native's all-time favorites!  He and Carmine Infantino somehow got the weird feel of my home town just right.  I guess at Shooter's order, Mike Fleisher and then Chris Claremont wrote 180 degree takes that weren't even the same character.  Gruenwald was heartbroken as he had plans for 100 more issues (some of which, I assume, he used on his 120+ issue run on CAPTAIN AMERICA).

STAR-LORD
BLOODSTONE
--the writers of these (Steve Englehart and John Warner) had great plans for these characters--epic plans--that were totally truncated.  (It's interesting that the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VOL. 2 movie sort of completed Englehart's original "godlike" idea for Peter Quill.)

SUPERBOY & THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES--Jim Starlin's follow-up to his brilliant issue #239 (possibly my all-time favorite single comic issue) was supposed to be a big special with twice the pages but was instead whittled down by the new editor to two regular issues, inked by the totally inappropriate Dave Hunt, prompting Starlin to call himself "Steve Apollo" and never go near the Legion again.  In hindsight, 239 and the sequel would be the type of thing to forever be reprinted in all formats (including oversized hardcover "ultimate" or "artists" editions) and possibly spawn a billion-dollar movie.  But, hey, editors have to show artists who's boss every so often, right?

Edited by Eric Jansen on 14 April 2019 at 2:20am

Phillip L Lightfoot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 2:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

<<<Phillip, have you seen Marvel Masterworks: Warlock #2, which included 16 pages of "Just a Minor Incident" by Jim Starlin and Alan Weiss, intended for Warlock #16?>>>

Yup!  Great stuff!

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Years ago, everyone here would have said "The final chapters of the NextMen"...I'm so glad we all got it in the end...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JESUS--I understand Frank Miller was intending to do a life of Christ comic...

•••

So was I. Based on the Book of Matthew, which I figured would mess with people’s heads, as the story told there is quite different from the “Fifth Gospel” so many believe.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Roger Stern getting to carry out his plans for The Avengers (to me the only misstep Mark Gruenwald ever made).

Love it or loathe it, Peter David being allowed to wrap his Hulk run up with issue 500.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2019 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I would have loved to see DC's New 52 reboot not happen. Geoff Johns didn't want it to happen but he got overruled. 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version