Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
One wonders when the Republicans are going to turn on Trump. It can't be long now.

Republican politicians won't turn on Trump as long as he remains popular with the base and doesn't do anything to endanger their extreme tax-cutting legislative agenda.  And Republican voters won't turn on Trump until his actions start directly affecting their lives in negative ways (eg if they lose their health insurance or the economy tanks). So I'd say we're in this for the long haul.

Charles Valderrama wrote:
TCBS Late Show host Stephen Colbert is a "no-talent guy" who talks "filthy."

Those comments are as textbook a case of Freudian projection as I've seen.
Back to Top profile | search

John Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2017 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Here is a good article from the New Yorker about how the firing of Comey is starting the final landslide. Link 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Jason Czeskleba wrote:
I'd say we're in this for the long haul.

Agreed.  People, mostly of my party, seem to be celebrating this moment as what shall be predetermined as the fall of Trump.  I don't think so and, in fact, caution them from celebrating so hard and so fast.  I do this for a number of reasons not the least of which is the understanding that justice is not swift.  It never is.  It took two years between the Watergate break-in to when Nixon resigned.  It wasn't a matter of days, weeks or months.  It was years.

I also mention the "echo chamber effect" insomuch as just because you disagree with something so strongly and with such conviction that all of your friends do as well, that doesn't mean that's the perception of the general populace.  We saw that with the election, no? Where the firing of Comey may be the final domino for some, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans for others.  

Finally, I'll make a cautionary statement: be careful what you wish for.  Mike Pence is no gem.  He's an ideologue.  He's a guy that will appear better than Trump simply because he's in the shadows, doesn't wear his opinions on his sleeve (at least not as much as Trump) and, more importantly, is not Trump.  But he's every bit as dangerous and, I dare say, more so than Trump because he can get things done given the highest position in the land.  He's a politician.  He knows how to game the system and work things to his advantage.  You may replace the devil you know with one you don't and, quite frankly, that scares the shit out of me more than having to deal with shitty Tweets and absurd, irrational decisions that are made in the open. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 1:45am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Young wrote:
the firing of Comey is starting the final landslide

Landslides are not slow. They are swift, uncaring and devastating.  I do not think that the Comey firing or anything that Trump has done will prove to be as fast as some may desire.  Our only political equivalent is Watergate and it took two years, TWO YEARS, between the break-in and Nixon's resignation, for things to change.  That's not a landslide or mudslide.  That's lava.  Slow.  Methodical.  Unstoppable.  

Don't get swept up in the notion that Trump will be out by the end of the summer let alone by the end of the year.  This is a battle, not the war, and it will take as much time as it takes.  So I'd advise to gird yourself for the long game rather than tally a win for every misstep or downright stupid thing the administration does.  

Daniel Burke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

35 senate seats and 435 house seats will be re-elected in November 2018.

Trump's window is closing... and its not 4 years. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't know. NPR interviewed a lot of his supporters across the country to get their take on the firing and the investigation and EVERY SINGLE PERSON agreed with Trump and thought it was the right move and that the investigation was just sour grapes from the democrats.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Trump recently stated that he missed his old life. Maybe he's actually trying to get impeached so he can get back to that life.

Something tells me sometime soon he will be impeached or forced to resign.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You're saying Donald Trump, the world's biggest ego*, would willfully throw something so he can be seen as a failure? Nope. Ain't gonna happen. He's not gonna do ANYTHING on purpose that he feels might make people think he's doing a bad job.

*other than Kurt Russell, of course.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Musing that #45 is actively trying to get impeached is silly. His person interests are the top of the list and he doesn't seem to do anything unless he feels it will benefit him, his family or someone he is in debt to.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

...he doesn't seem to do anything unless he feels it will benefit him, his family* or someone he is in debt to...

*See Jared Kushner's sister.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Speaking of Kushner, I wonder when Bannon is going to realize that his boss's son-in-law is a Jew.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2017 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Trump can't help but evoke those Nixon comparisons:

"James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our
conversations before he starts leaking to the press!"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/86300741113264947 3

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version