Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Dealing with fans (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 1  

I've met a few famous people -- including JB. I've only been disappointed once, and that wasn't by JB, even though I wasn't on my best behavior when I first met him. (I was young; what can I say?  I was still learning how to be a decent person.)  JB treated me well, despite my stupidity; he was very gracious and it was a fun experience.

I was very critical of Alpha Flight, based on nothing more than some character sheets JB was showing at a convention.  I got smart, he responded and I got the idea that I was out of line.  After that, it was heaven!  I spent about ten minutes chatting up my favorite comics pro.

But I also learned.  I have always tried my best (not always succeeding, by the way) to treat people well under any circumstances.   That goes for everyone, as to the best of my ability. 

I've heard the stories of fans that interupt meals and trips to the bathroom and elevator trips with requests for autographs (and more).  The times I have encountered people I admire in these circumstances, I usually give them a knowing smile and a look that lets them know that I know who they are -- and then I back off. 

I have never regretted not introducing myself to someone under those circumstances, and I know that if I were to intrude, I would hav regretted that.

In the world I want to live in, everyone tries to be respectful and civil to everyone else.  That's the way I try to be every day. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brendan Howard
Byrne Robotics Member
FAQ Master Supreme

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 2  

I'm a strange case because my first meeting with a comic pro was at a train station where JB picked me and some other JPFers for lunch. So that was a whole different dynamic than most interactions between a fan and a pro.

My first con was last year when B. Diddy's Scatterbrain was released, and I went down to wish him well and check out the scene. I brought an autograph book in the hopes that I could meet some of the artists I respect and have a quick word with them as they signed my book, and maybe get a sketch or two. In general, I was able to do just that, and had nice interactions with Terry Austin, Jim Starlin, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, and a bunch of others.

Some of the "fans" were incredibly annoying, tho, and seemed to think that they were at a collectible factory. The one I remember most clearly was the guy who was rolling a suitcase full of hardcovers and TPBs in line to meet Walter Simonson. When he got to the front of the line, he put book after book in front of poor Uncle Walt for signatures, without a single word of "I enjoy your work" or anything like that. He was quite obviously getting the signatures only for their resale value. Walter must truly be the most patient, kind person on the face of the earth, because I was ready to clock the guy and I was simply in line behind him.

I give any pro who is willing to put up with these jerks a lot of credit. I expect that the conventions were more fun when youngsters made up more of the fan base. Any truth to that, JB? (Or other pros in the audience?)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 3  

I was at a con with my friend,he was getting an autograph from a sixties actress who has really done nothing since,she was more interested in filing her nails than meeting a fan,the only fan in line.No eye contact and `couldn`t be bothered` attitude.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 4  

Fans:  Remember, these guys didn't ask to be your personal hero.

Creators:  Remember, to some of these guys, you're their hero.

Unfortunately, creators have to greet sincere fans after having to deal with impolite opportunists making a buck off of their fame.

People have good days, people have bad days, make the best of it.

When I gush over an artist at a con, all that I expect is a simple "thanks", "cool", or "you're welcome" before they try to sell me something.  If they don't have time to listen to me at all, that's cool as well.  Just so they're reasonably polite about it.  I'd guess that they'd expect the same courtesy from me.

I have a hundred good fan/creator stories for every bad one, but the guy whose only response to my praise was a snarky, "well, you don't have all of my work unless you buy this."  Still sticks in my craw.

Luckily, on that particular day, Joe Staton was the next table over and gave me a smile and a thumbs up when I thanked him for creating Huntress.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 5  

Civility does go both ways and I do believe that there is an objective standard of what is civil when dealing with reasonable people.  I think we'd all agree that the Author's behavior in the example that started the thread was pretty poor.  We'd also agree that fans who ask for autographs from people who are at dinner or using the bathroom are out of line.  If the person on either side of the line crosses it, they should not be surprised by the results. 

PS.  I recently purchased all of the Fables TPBs based on the recomendations of other members of the Forum and I'd sign off on any raise Mr. Willingham would request. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

I saw Kyle Baker at SDCC this summmer. Didn't say anything to him though, as he was talking to other fans, and I couldn't think of something to say that wouldn't come out stupid. I don't buy his work usually, but I'm a huge admirer of his 80's/early 90's work, particularly his inks. But he doesn't really render that way anymore, so I didn't want it to come off as a 'your old stuff was better' remark.

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 7  

2 years ago, in the airport following ComicCon, my buddy & I ran into Dan Didio. he was talking on his cell, & we left him alone. Then he came into the bar for dinner (with a Warner Brothers exec) and he chatted with us for a few minutes & gave us nice Superman pewter pins. We went back to our lives, he went back to his. We "played the game" properly. Sitting next to us at the bar was a San Diego Padre. I'll withhold his name, because, as my buddy astutely noted, he was there with a lady who was not his wife. Naturally, we didn't try to strike up a conversation.

Victor Rodgers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
saw John Lithgow on the CBS lot once...he was outside a soundstage walking toward me...head down reading something.  he glanced up and caught my gaze...i said "hey, how ya' doing" and he immediate returned his gaze to what he was reading.

was he being rude...maybe.  or maybe he was reading lines and getting into character.  all in the eye of the beholder.

This is how any person that was properly raised acts in this situation.

Person: Hey how ya doin?

Other Person: Just fine, thank you for asking.

QUOTE:
i knew a lady that worked on a lighting crew.  she was measuring out a mark on a star trek film.  rule of thumb...don't touch the talent when doing such things.  she made a boo-boo.  she touched shatner's foot.  he was mid conversation, didn't miss a beat and proceeded to step on her hand.  was it rude?  maybe...but totally shatner and i personally love the man for it.

Person: Im very sorry for stepping on your foot..

Other person: Thats okay.

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 2:32pm | IP Logged | 9  

with regards to the Lithgow "incident," who's to say he didn't have a sick family member, fight with his wife, or relative/friend just died? Any of those events (and plenty more, I'm sure) could cause any person to be so distracted. From everything I've seen of John Lithgow, he seems to be a gregarious, outgoing guy. I'd chalk that up to him having a bad day.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 10  

I can't say I'm down with Shatner's reaction. If he scolded her for it, that's one thing, but to cause her physical pain for something so innocent is another.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

This is how any person that was properly raised acts in this situation.

Person: Hey how ya doin?

Other Person: Just fine, thank you for asking.

---

I'd like to think I was raised properly, but there have been many times I have not acknowledged a stranger saying hello to me. Sometimes I was lost in thought and wasn't paying attention. Sometimes I had assumed that the person was speaking to someone else. Sometimes I just thought the person was weird or creepy and didn't want to open a dialogue with him or her. Sometimes I was just in a bad mood and didn't want to talk to anyone.

Kurt Anderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 12  

Some of the bad behavior described isn't specific to celebrities.  Those of you that have worked in the service industry know that there are folks who just believe that they are above others and should not be required to show the lowly masses any respect.

Bill Murray was correct when he said that you can truly tell what kind of person someone is by the way that they treat their waiter or caddie (paraphasing).

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version