Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Dealing with fans (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 1  

...particularly if the treat the paying customer in a shabby manner.

Again, one man's bending over backwards to accomodate is another man's treating someone in a shabby manner. It's all about the expectation, and there are too many fans who expect not mere civility, but preferential treatment. "I pay your salary!" Everyone who has been to a convention, especially in the last 20 years or so, have seen these people in operation.

And I completely agree with that, JB. Fans shouldn't expect preferential treatment and they are just as obligated to treat the artist/writer with respect as vice versa.

You've obviously had experiences with overly demanding, rude fans and that's not right - you shouldn't have to put up with that kind of treatment. On the flip side, Dave had a negative experience with a writer and I don't blame him for being mad. Neither behavior is acceptable.

I agree that simple application of the Golden Rule - from all parties - would solve 99% of these problems. Heck, it probably would solve 99% of society's problems.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 2  

Participating in a forum like this, in my opinion, clearly entails a privilege granted to its members by JB rather than any aspect of entitlement from him.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 3  

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar...

Civility IS important on both sides.  It's also something that's becoming a lost art, as the "If you don't like it, leave" attitude, the "Whatever, talk to the hand" attitude becomes more and more prevalent.

Those who came before us spent hundreds of years working out codes of civil conduct for very good reasons, and I really don't think we have improved enough as a species to drop those rules just yet.

From personal experience, I've met celebrities from z-list up to maybe b-list, and the variety of behaviour is bewildering.  I remember meeting the stars of an at the time very hot tv show here in the UK, and the lead walked up to me and said "Hello, I'm ***********, the star of the show *********"
Behind him, his two co-stars were cringing with embarrassment. One was even covering his face and shaking his head.  Once I got a chance to talk to them, I found they were very level-headed and down to earth, and truly embarrassed about the change in their co-star.  (he had been a nice guy when they started) Needless to say, he left the show to go on to "bigger" things, which strangely never happened, and I don't think he's been on tv since!

Andrew Davey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 4  

In all things we should treat others with a basic level of respect. Between those who provide the service and those who pay for the service.

Sometimes I think that somewhere along the road good manners were left behind. But then, out of the blue, someone proves me wrong. Maybe 95% of the people I dealt with today displayed good manner and the other 5%...well if a gentle reminder of civility didn't work, I mentally vaporized them. Life's to short.   

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Last
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 5  

As a slight thread offshoot...

Mentally dispatching people that are rude to me really is a useful sanity aid.  My favourite methods are:

Pulling the lever that drops them into the bear pit.
Pulling the lever which releases the easter island head on chains across the room at them.. BAM!   WHEEEEEEEEEEEE.....
And if they are especially annoying, putting down the splatter sheets, putting the silencer on my pistol and SHTUM! straight between the eyes. They then fall backwards in slo-mo..

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 6  

again...it all comes down to people being the kind of people they are.  couple of stories:

saw John Lithgow on the CBS lot once...he was outside a soundstage walking toward me...head down reading something.  he glanced up and caught my gaze...i said "hey, how ya' doing" and he immediate returned his gaze to what he was reading.

was he being rude...maybe.  or maybe he was reading lines and getting into character.  all in the eye of the beholder.

couple of years later i ran into adam sandler...i was hanging in the hallway as he walked by.  i looked up and saw him and before i could utter a word he blurted "hey, how ya' doing."  same thing happened with him a week later.  real nice guy.

i knew a lady that worked on a lighting crew.  she was measuring out a mark on a star trek film.  rule of thumb...don't touch the talent when doing such things.  she made a boo-boo.  she touched shatner's foot.  he was mid conversation, didn't miss a beat and proceeded to step on her hand.  was it rude?  maybe...but totally shatner and i personally love the man for it.

again...it all comes down to people just being the people they are.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 7  

The best creative people put the best of themselves into their work. If it turns out that I find a real-life encounter with them is an enjoyable one then that's icing on the cake.

On the other hand, if their work isn't very good in the first place, then I might have less tolerance.

Bill Willingham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 8  

I have to confess that I've never had much patience with the "but I pay your salary" segment of comics fandom (who are, thankfully, a very small minority, at least in my encounters). At first, in my idealistic youth, I used to attempt reason, showing them how that argument simply didn't hold water, unless their point was, due to the vast interrelationship and flow of all monies in a correctly-functioning capitalist society, everyone paid everyone's salary. I had a pretty good little speech down, with citations, subplots, dramatic twists and even a few song and dance interludes. But, as everyone learns eventually, countering an emotional outburst with a reasoned argument is usually a waste of time.

So now, whenever I encounter the "but I pay your salary" trope, I simply demand a raise.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 9  

"I simply demand a raise."

LOL !

Chris Neseman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 10  

So Bill,
While you're here. I have some great Fables ideas...

;)

Keep making that amazing series and I'll keep paying your salary!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jeff Palm
Byrne Robotics Member
Fake Name

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 11  

I would gladly pay a higher cover price for Fables, same goes for a JB monthly.

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 12  

Aric, should have put low-lifes in quotes....it was intended as sarcasm...but my lack of quotes did not appear the way it should have

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version