Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Q for JB: Dealing with fans (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 1  

Something to consider about celebrities - speaking only for myself, I'm extremely shy when it comes to strangers, and if someone approaches me and says hello, I feel awkward and might just say hello in return, and not much else. I do wonder if I come off as an asshole sometimes as a result of that, but it's really not my intent. There are definitely actors that are shy like that. I believe James Gandolfini is an example. So it might not be something to take personally.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 28 December 2006 at 3:07pm
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Bill Murray was correct when he said that you can truly tell what kind of person someone is by the way that they treat their waiter or caddie (paraphasing)."

I have a coworker that thanks the cleaning ladies every time they come by and empty our trash bins at night. I have to admit I hadn't thought of doing that before.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 3:20pm | IP Logged | 3  

When I used to go to conventions, I was always amazed by how few of the fans in attendence knew much about the history of comics and how few of them "cared" that some very important people in the history of comics were there. I suppose it worked in my favor though. I was at one con where the entire place made a mass pilgrimage to stand in line to meet McFarlane, which gave me the chance to have a very nice conversation with Julius Schwartz and to meet Martin Nodell.

I wonder if there was a noticable increase in "obnoxious fan behavior" during the speculator boom when there was a large influx of people who were not really around for enjoyment of the comics.    

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 4  

I wonder if there was a noticable increase in "obnoxious fan behavior" during the speculator boom when there was a large influx of people who were not really around for enjoyment of the comics.    

The speculator boom gave us a huge rise in the number of "fans" who treated the artists, writers, etc as if they were autograph-robots. Unfortunately, since the speculator boom also shattered the fan base and drove away most of the casual readers, the fans who come in with assumptions of rights and priviledges have maintained a higher proportion in the mix that was formerly the case. It one of the many reasons I have stopped doing cons.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

It's got to be tough on the "celebrities" in many cases. I deal with the public everyday and they annoy the hell out of me. The primary difference though, is that they are not specifically coming into the store to see or talk to me. I'm just a piece of the environment. It must be infinitely worse to be the actual "attraction" (for lack of a better word..i hope that doesn't come across as insulting).

Stan Lomisceau
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

if you can not pay respects to the professionalls than maybe it is not right to meet them. they have done the comics and we have not and so many people think we are friends for it. it is not really good think like that. you will only have disappointments if you do that. we are not there friends! mr. byrne if i was meeting you i woul dbe respectful of you and i think you know that. even if i had a job for you it would be that way. if you said there was no eye contact for the people who worked for you then i would not even look at you out of respect. that is the word everybody. r e s p e c t. there is no sense being rude when you can have common courtesy! thank you for having this board mr. byrne it is so great for you to be with your fans!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 7  

All I expect from a comics creator is for that person to produce good work.  Anything above and beyond that is gravy.
Back to Top profile | search | www

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

What Wallace said.

And we don't pay JB's paycheck just because we read a comic of his. The company he does the comic for provides the paycheck for him in anticipation of profit from the product.

The only ones one the forum who can say they pay his paycheck are those buying artwork directly from JB.

Dave Powell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 6:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

To add a little clarification...

If there had been a line of people, all I would have expected was a "Hello" and maybe a "How do you want this signed?"   In no way am I a "gushing" anything.  My wife often says she's going to take my pulse to see if I'm still alive.  Since there was no line, I figured it might be one of those "I gots no place else to be" moments. In particular, I didn't create the situation, and didn't offer myself for interaction with people, the author did.  I didn't corral him at a restaurant, bar, sporting event, or even on the street, I went to an event of his own making.  I don't think that in such a situation, eye contact is too much to expect.

What happened seemed rude to me, but I know that I am applying my standards to someone else.  I tend to thank cashiers, and smile at them on my way through a line at stores.  I know this is because of my midwestern US upbringing.  I grew up waving at people driving by my house, whether I knew them or not.  Now I live in NY State, about 50 miles from the city, waving at cars is NOT what people do here, unless your count one fingered waves. 

I do enjoy this forum though.  There is a nice level of blunt around here.  That seems to come from JB's rules, and I really do appreciate being able to participate.  Thanks for the thought out answers and debate.

Edit to say:  This is not a "bad story"  the author's name intentionally has not been mentioned . 

Edited by Dave Powell on 28 December 2006 at 6:27pm

Scott Nickel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

I work for Jim Davis, creator of the GARFIELD strip, and I've been to a few book conventions with him. He is, hands-down, the nicest and most pleasant guy I've ever encountered (and I'm not brown-nosing). He's gracious, pleasant and really makes the fans feel special. He's also a signing machine, autographing nearly 600 books in about an hour. I think he feeds off the energy of the fans; what should tire out a normal person, he thrives on. Just watching him exhausts me.

I don't think anyone has a story about a bad encounter with Jim, because I doubt there's ever been one.

He's also a great guy (even when he's not in public) and a wonderful boss.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 11  

All it takes is someone whose life is so small that s/he is willing to lie about it...

Edited by Wallace Sellars on 28 December 2006 at 6:39pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Chris Hutton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 December 2006 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

Scott, that sounds like George Perez, also.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version