Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Fall of the House of Ideas (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 1  

J.B WROTE:

Then there are the so-called "professionals" themselves, far too many of which are anything but. People who, as Frank Miller once put it, "do three issues and want a parade." And, alas, these worthless prima donnas are able to find far, far to many brain dead "collectors" who are eager to support them while they are "growing roses." To the point, even, of making lateness a badge of honor, and producing books on time an indication of shoddy workmanship.

I could not have put it any better... they want there ego's stroked. they are  like little children. if daddy will  not pay attention to them they throw a fit until he does. and who is daddy?  you got it .......wizard the big hype machine because if they say it guess it must be true......i am missing something here?  

Edited by Robert Oren on 10 July 2006 at 5:17pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jeff Lommel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 2  

Chuck, that's just criminal.  You were one of the writers I looked for during the 90s, because I knew that your stories were always going to be entertaining.  I'd love to see you doing regular work for DC on a mainstream title again.
Something else that's become a symptom of the marketplace of late is the cancellation/relaunching of titles when a creative team leaves.  Wha?  For instance, they cancelled "Spectacular Spider-Man" v2 when Paul Jenkins wanted to move on, and Joe Quesada said something like "that was Pauls book, it was for him" (I'm paraphrasing, but that was pretty much what he said).  When/why are the creators more important than the titles they work on?  I will follow some creators to different works, but I would never expect the title they left to end! 
*I mean no disrespect to Jenkins btw, I'm sure he didn't go in and say "if I'm not writing it then no one is".
Back to Top profile | search

Chuck Dixon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks for the kind words.

These days I'm more interested in exploring beyond the lights of the core DCU and Marvel titles. Much of what they're doing now is not familiar to me in any case. Who's the Batman guy these days? Not the one I remember.

The potential for comics in the book and library trade is yet to be realized and white hot right now in comparison to the doldrums and false promises of the Diamond/Wizard/DSM continuum. I've gotten more interested in comics a teaching tool for young readers and have done a lot of work in that area with the promise of more down the road.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Mays
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

Great ideas on the teaching tool!  I like it!

We should all get together and save the industry :-)
(Not sure what I'd contribute though!)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 5  

I agree with what Jeff said. It doesn't make sense to me to cancel a comic because of a creative team leaving. It not only makes it seem to the fans that the creators are more important to the company than the character(s), but also causes a glut and confusion when books constantly get relaunched. I HATE seeing several volumes of a series, meaning several #1s, and its something I just wish Marvel would stop doing. I can see it when there is a valid reason, such as the new Green Lantern and Spectre series that DC have released, and even the upcoming JLA and JSA relaunches. But Marvel seems to do it just for the sake of doing it.

(Really loved Chuck Dixon's work on Green Hornet for Now Comics, by the way)

Event I would change? Hmmmm.....hard to pick. I wholeheartedly agree about what JB said about the DSM - especially after talking to more than a few comic shop owners who even disliked it and one in particular who hates Diamond being the only game in town now as far as distributors go  - but, I'd also have to consider:

Stopping Marvel from letting Rob Liefeld do ANY work at all for the company, let alone hiring him.

or

Stopping Marvel from letting Todd McFarlane do ANY work at all for the company, let alone hiring him. (And I actually used to be a Todd McFarlane fan.....)

or

Stopping Marvel from making Joe Q their EIC.

I haven't quite decided yet who was worse for Marvel: Bill Jemas or Joe Quesada.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 10 July 2006 at 3:16pm

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:15pm | IP Logged | 6  

In the end, you see, saving comics from cancelation, shifting more and more product to the DSM only weakened Marvel (and the industry as a whole). By the time the decision was made to "pull out of the newsstand" it was kamikazee time. There was no way the industry could survive as a nitch market. There simply were not enough readers, and the move to Direct Only severely reduced what few of them there were. Then came the madness of the Speculator Boom, also fostered and nurtured by the DSM.

I recently let my subscription to VANITY FAIR lapse (side effect of their constant "chicken little" SUBSCRIPTION COMING TO A CLOSE letters is that you stop taking them seriously). Anyway, while I renewed, I knew that I'd have to get this month's issue on the stands. My original plan was to swing by Barnes & Noble on my way home but while running some errands (drug store, grocery store), I came upon the issue at least twice (finally, I just bought it at the grocery store and saved myself the extra trip).

Comics haven't been this easy to buy in years -- aside from subscriptions, which are nowhere near the deals given by magazines (I get the New Yorker for about $1 an issue compared to the $4 cover price).

It's amazing to think that so many people thought such an incredibly bad idea (pulling out of newstands) was a good one.

Brandon Pennison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 7  

Chuck Dixon wrote: That ain't me, babe.

That is why we love you Chuck!  The same reason why we love J.B.  Both of your convictions are so strong that you are not going to kiss someone's ass to stay 'big' in the industry. 

Honestly, I have always been a Marvel guy when reading comics.  Chuck, I promise, for me to read a DC book regularly, which I did with all your bat books, but especially Nightwing, that is saying something.  I actually looked forward to your stories more than anything and I always hated DC.  I hate that you are not writing comics more lately.  When you left Nightwing it was noticable.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 8  

Stephen, I totally agree with you. Especially about the irritating subscription renewal notices. There was one magazine I subscribed to for two years that I dropped after they started putting the notice on the magazine with 4 issues left to go. I could understand it if it was on the last two issues, but not on a magazine published on a monthly basis......

The sad thing is, the only comics you can find in grocery and convenience stores nowadays - at least around here, anyway - are movie tie-in comics (like the Star Wars Episode III adaptation mini-series when it was out - I know of two different grocery stores that carried the issues), Archie comics digests (which are usually up at the checkout counter), and those Marvel comics put out that are two comics in one and flip over (like.....Astounding X-Men on one side, Spider-Man on the other), and sometimes the comics DC puts out featuring other properties like Scooby Doo and Powerpuff Girls. And it sucks.

The comic dealers I've talked to who disliked the DSM disliked it for one main reason - other than it almost killing the market for comics altogether, that is: cutting out grocery and convenience store cut into their business; they would usually get customers who would pick up a comic at another place then get hooked and come in to see what other comics there were out there.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 10 July 2006 at 3:28pm

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 9  

But what baffles me is that these "hot" talents are given assignments based on hype rather than performance. Creators whose books are selling steady if not spectacularly are removed so that sexy new talent can take over. More often than not the sales fall below that of the former less-sexy team and never again rise to their former numbers no matter how many rounds of musical creative chairs are played. But those replacement guys maintain their gloss and keep getting books until Gareb Shamus no longer wants to party with them.

And if all of this star-chasing (to clean up the term) resulted in higher sales I'd just admit I'm clueless and go away. But each month's figures prove me right. It's a slow downward spiral but its ever downward.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>

The "stars" should always be the characters. Spider-Man, Batman, Superman. Yes, JB's FF was great, but I never got the feeling that the star of the book was anything other than the FF themselves.

>>>>>>>>>>

I was told recently that to get more work at a major company I would have to "party with" and "buddy up" to certain people.

That ain't me, babe.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Wow, comics are just like Hollywood. Sigh.

Chris Marquardt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

The potential for comics in the book and library trade is yet to be realized and white hot right now in comparison to the doldrums and false promises of the Diamond/Wizard/DSM continuum. I've gotten more interested in comics a teaching tool for young readers and have done a lot of work in that area with the promise of more down the road.

Interesting story that made me view recent experience in a different light. At a school book fair, my 7 year-old son wanted a Batman book that contained 4 text stories accompanied by illustrations about every other page. After purchasing it, I noticed that two stories were illustrated by JB and I remember thinking that work MUST be slow, if he's doing stuff for kids' books. Now that I think about it more, he probably reached a larger audience with those books than if he'd been doing the Batman comics! Potential, indeed...

Anthony Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

Interesting story that made me view recent experience in a different light. At a school book fair, my 7 year-old son wanted a Batman book that contained 4 text stories accompanied by illustrations about every other page. After purchasing it, I noticed that two stories were illustrated by JB and I remember thinking that work MUST be slow, if he's doing stuff for kids' books.---- Chris Marquardt posted.

Hire an Editor-In-Chief that understands that these books are MAINLY aimed at the ages eight and up and not twenty-five and up.

Someone who understands that the characters come first and not which creator happens to be hot at the time.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2006 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 12  

Is there any hope that sales of trades in bookstores might be a way to climb out of the DSM hole?

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version