Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 26 Next >>
Topic: The All New Atom # 1 Thread (SPOILERS) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 1  

My current career is a shadow of its former self -- brought down
almost entirely by lies.

I know this is not the best comparison JB, but your career is
reminiscent of other fiercely independent artists, for example, the
musician Prince: once he struck out on his own while speaking out
concerning the miserable state of the music industry he was
regularly derided in the press and by his own fans. Criticizing him
became a sport making it truly difficult at times to remain a solid
fan.

However, he stuck it out through the grind and the horrors of public
opinion by adhering to his principles, his vision, and so on.
Although his career took a serious dip for some time, he is now at
the top of his form artistically and business-wise. He has shown the
music industry--and the fickle among his fan-base--how wrong
they were.

My prediction is that you will shut the nay-sayers down by
demonstrating your commitment to the work you do in the medium
you're in. If history shows us much, it seems that your path is an
example of the truly independent among us.

Not the best comparison (no offense!) as you and Prince have
little to nothing in common. It's merely an example I am familar
with of an artist finding success through principle and skill.

Keep the gorgeous art and fantastic stories comin'!

Edited by Marcel Chenier on 07 July 2006 at 11:09am
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 2  

Read Atom this morning before work and really love it. The story arc is off to a  terrific start (that first double page splash is astounding) and the implications going forward are ominous. I also like Ryan's supporting cast and resident brain trust; seems like he'll have a lot more back-up (on the science front) than Ray Palmer ever had.

Great work, JB and Gail. I'm glad your partnership is back and strong as ever.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:19am | IP Logged | 3  

The first issue really exceeded my expectations!  I'm very interested in the supporting cast.  The only thing that would've improved it would be a Byrne cover.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 4  

Got my free copies of this and BOTD yesterday and read them on the flight down to LA...

Have to say, as much as I'd always rather have Byrne writing, the story on this, and the previous Atom preview we got, was pretty interesting.

If Simone ever does anything outside of comics, I'll be sure to give it a look!

Victor Manuel Fernandez Patiño
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm with you on that one...

Ollivieti has been one of my favorites for a long time, but in this case, the cover had no effect on me.

John Dallaire
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 6  

One cannot fly in the face of reality, Ronald. To this extent, the sad boys on the internet and the self-fulfilling prophets in the shops have won. My current career is a shadow of its former self -- brought down almost entirely by lies. - JB

I'm sad to report that I can affirm this from a local (Tucson) perspective. One shop owner refuses to even order anything by JB, cuz JB is such a bad man and all that. And this owner has all sorts of personal anecdotes to support this - hell, he's even convinced that JB's "Vas you dere, Charlie" refers to him, specifically (yes, his name is Charlie). Of course, this joker is way 'round the bend...to hear him talk, he's responsible for convincing the Pinis to publish Elfquest, etc.

Another local shop doesn't let you open a book to see if you might like the insides as much as the out. So I haven't shopped there for years.

Another shop is primarily a Manga/Anime shop, although they do carry weekly new comics. However, anything by JB is for subscription only...maybe one copy for the racks.

And the final shop, my preferred shop, when I went in yesterday to pick up the two books I wanted to buy this week (Demon and Atom), were completely sold out of both. Of course, they only ordered enough for subscriptions and one or two for the racks. I got into a discussion with the store employee who informed me that "JB's stuff doesn't sell like it used to." I responded that if I came in looking for a book that came out that very day and couldn't buy it, of course his stuff doesn't sell. And I'm the vocal customer. How about all those who didn't say anything, but left emptyhanded? Come to think of it, I haven't been able to buy the last several issues of Demon, either...always sold out the day it comes out. When I pointed this out to the employee, he supposed that maybe the same person came in every month and bought their one shelf copy...of course, they could've sold at least two, probably more, had they the titles available.

And to think, the owner, when I was in last week, was all excited about JB's art on Atom...telling me that it looks like some of his best work ever...yet he only orders one copy above subscription?

I'm sick of this. I'm tired of being frustrated in my attempts to give retailers money. I'm irritated by my having to be a full-time researcher and know three months in advance what comics I might want to buy, sight unseen, otherwise, I might never even see them.

Other entertainments don't require this of their customers...I might hear about a movie a year in advance, yet not decide to go see it until the last minute. Same with books, or DVD's...why is the onus for preordering placed squarely on the customer's shoulders? If I want to hang out in a coffee shop, I don't have to call ahead months in advance just to make sure they have the pastry I like when I come in...the cafe's COUNT on spoilage, and try to make/order enough for everyone...

Comic shops need to get their minds out of the collectibles mentality and more into the mindset of a bookstore, or a customer-oriented cafe. They're supposed to be there for the fans...it shouldn't fall on the fans to make the comic shop owners job easier...it should fall on them to make the fans purchases easier.

Back when I discovered JB, comics were sold primarily at newstands on a returnable basis - you were almost always guaranteed to be able to buy a JB book any given week...these days...the direct market has killed this hobby.

Okay, I'm frustrated and ranting incoherently.

I'm gonna have to special order all my books from now on. And you know what, as much as I love JB's art (and Steve Rudes, and Frank Millers, etc.), I'm starting to resent the hobby more now than enjoy it.

Sucks.

John Dallaire

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 7  

...he's even convinced that JB's "Vas you dere, Charlie" refers to him, specifically (yes, his name is Charlie)...

Tell him from me that he is absolutely right. I also have cameras hidden in every room in his house, in his car, and in his store.

I'm watching him right now. . .

Matthew Hansel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 8  

If only self-publishing was a viable option...or even POD...then we'd have new JB stuff ALL THE FRIGGIN time and we could eliminate the store part...

MPH

JD Morrow
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:46am | IP Logged | 9  

As for JB's career....well, I hate to say it and it's not like he really needs any advice from someone like me....but, you might have reached that stage in your career when you need to put yourself out as an "art robot" for some other high-profile creators for a while.

Yeah, as much as I've always enjoyed John Byrne's writing (one of the best ever!), there are certain realities about the current marketplace, and "old school", as much as I hate to say it, isn't the soup of the day. I'm sure Dan Slott and Kurt Busiek would attest to this. There are a few guys today that sell well and have a nice blend of old school (which you can tell they respect) and the new style that ushered in about 5 years ago. Ed Brubaker and Mark Millar come to mind. For the most part, however, it's the Brian Bendis influenced "write for the trade" era of comics that sells, and that's just the way it is. Britney Spears outsells Paul McCartney now, too, so go figure.

I find it hard to believe that David Michelinie and Roger Stern "can't" write comics anymore, but their styles are rooted in old school, so they don't "fit". Peter David was a much better writer, for instance, when he didn't have to change his style to "adapt" to the decompressed writing of his contemporaries. He did adapt, but he doesn't sell like he used to, either, but he sells enough to "hang on".

Personally, I think the old school style blows away the "new breed" of comic writers, who come off more as "movie writer wannabes", which is why I've been reading tons of classic comics lately, and buy fewer of today's books, but I'm in the minority there. New comic readers have been conditioned to like the comics that are written for the trade. Some bitch and moan, but the airheads still throw money at those types of books.

I do believe John Byrne's viability as a "writer" isn't really there anymore in today's marketplace, regardless of the fact that he definitely is a talented writer, and moving into an "art robot" direction would be best for his career, at this point. I also believe that John Byrne "Marvel" will always be in more demand than John Byrne "DC".

I was told a few months back by a certain EIC, who I greatly respect, even though he knows where I stand on the John Byrne/Marvel issue, that it's a shame about how things worked out, because he (Quesada) is really good at directing careers (and I'd agree with that 100%), and he knows the perfect vehicle at Marvel that would be a mammoth hit for JB. I personally feel that a John Byrne drawn Hulk, Avengers, Iron-Man, or Fantastic Four, would go over big, and if he did Alpha Flight again, the rumors of his demise would have been greatly exaggerated!   

I still hold out hope for a return to Marvel by the prodigal son, and I hope it happens soon, because they go together so perfectly! Bigger differences have been worked out by much simpler minded people, so why not, right?

Oh, Atom #1 kicked total ass, by the way!

Edited by JD Morrow on 07 July 2006 at 11:51am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 10  

I was told a few months back by a certain EIC, who I greatly respect, even though he knows where I stand on the John Byrne/Marvel issue, that it's a shame about how things worked out, because he (Quesada) is really good at directing careers (and I'd agree with that 100%), and he knows the perfect vehicle at Marvel that would be a mammoth hit for JB. I personally feel that a John Byrne drawn Hulk, Avengers, Iron-Man, or Fantastic Four, would go over big, and if he did Alpha Flight again, the rumors of his demise would have been greatly exaggerated! 

Welcome back from Earth 2, JD. Hope you enjoyed your vacation there. Now, to catch you up on what you missed while you were away, about five years ago I was doing an X-MEN book at Marvel. Yep, John Byrne back on the X-MEN. Store's should not have been able to keep it in stock, right? Unfortunately, Marvel promoted it so badly that by the sixth issue, many potential readers actually thought is was another book, published at the same time but constantly missing shipping, and by nine months out most readers still thought it was a miniseries.

Then the EiC you "respect" canceled the book while it was still profitable.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 11  

I think JB's demand at DC is limited by the fact that he's only done second-
and third-tier characters for the past ten years. And I include Generations in
this -- despite the fact that they featured Batman and Superman, they were
only versions of Superman or Batman.

At this point, with JB's name having been dragged through the mud for so
long, a JB-written and drawn Demon, Doom Patrol or Elseworlds book just
isn't going to sell in the same numbers as, say, Green Lantern, Flash or
Batman. The loyal fans are going to follow him, but that clearly isn't enough
these days to sustain a fringe book like Blood of the Demon, despite the
quality of said title.

It makes me sick.

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 July 2006 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 12  

It's a good thing kids don't read comics anymore. What kind of lesson is it that someone who's consistently professional and is willing to voice an informed opinion is professionally shunned?

<< Prev Page of 26 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version