Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Greatest runs of covers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2024 at 12:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Technically Kane’s studio. He used a lot of assistants.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2024 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I've enjoyed those Sal Spectaculars a lot with his full cover and interior art, pencils and inks. There aren't too many artists I don't appreciate the complete work by, and usually much prefer, although I thought Joe Staton was an excellent inker on Sal B. Steve Ditko inked by JB is another one of those magic combos to me (now if I can only get that Charlton Bullseye #1 someday).

One of my all-time favorite Infantino covers, or comic covers period, must be Mystery In Space #90 with Adam Strange and two planets about to collide, beautifully inked by Murphy Anderson... bought it twice even (three times if the DC Super Stars 'Space' reprint counts). His Spider-Woman covers inked by Leialoha are favorites, yet another magic combo (I thought Gene Day made things look too 'severe' or sharp even if I liked his work elsewhere quite a bit).

A book of all the Steranko '60s Marvel covers might be fairly thin but I'd buy... that one Hulk Special, and X-Men #49 I could buy just for the cover alone (always also had excellent color on his covers so thinking maybe he had a hand in them like Neal Adams with his, although Marie was an all time top colorist, see she is credited on the Hulk).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2024 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Technically Kane’s studio. He used a lot of assistants.
Even then, eh? I know you’ve mentioned assistants when we’ve talked about
his 89s work but don’t recall hearing about his using them as much in the
70s. Chaykin is about the only one I can think of that I’d heard about.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2024 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Mark Haslett wrote:
Still not seeing any run that compares to 100 uninterrupted classic Jack Kirby covers on the World’s Greatest Comics Magazine.

Agreed. Jack Kirby's run on those covers (and the stories behind them) is nothing short of fantastic!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 January 2024 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Kane was fairly typical of artists who are called upon to “mass produce” the work. Nothing new. Goes on even now. Studios proliferate.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2024 at 4:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The majority of FLASH covers were drawn by Carmine Infantino... does he come close to Kirby's first 100 uninterrupted FF covers?

-C!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 January 2024 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There might have been a long unbroken run of excellent story connected Kubert war comics covers for DC, but I haven't really been too interested in those comics outside some Enemy Ace. Kirby is still King for a reason; there's usually nobody too close where his firsts and numbers are concerned.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2024 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Strange Adventures 207-222.  This includes the beautiful Neal Adams Deadman covers that everyone is familiar with, but also a couple of Adam Strange covers by Adams that are probably not as well remembered, and a handful of Adam Strange covers by Kubert.  

"Kirby is still King for a reason"

When it comes to superhero comics I agree.  But its hard to imagine two artists whose styles are more different than Kirby and Kubert.  Kubert on war comics is tough to beat.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 January 2024 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bolland on ANIMAL MAN and INVISIBLES for me.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 January 2024 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Simonson and Chaykin from the era(s) that proliferate this conversation.
But to add someone from the dreaded later eras, I always found Chris Bachelor had that quality of breaking the rules while acknowledging them at the same time, a quality that always caught my eye,

P.S. I don't know why, but I hesitate to put those cover artists who are known primarily or even exclusively as cover artists like Hughes and McKean in the same category as those had to pause or shift gears from their interior work to put out a cover.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2024 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It was always nice to run into a Steve Ditko cover (like on an Avengers reprint Marvel Triple Action), but I can't think of many runs of them... outside early Spider-Man anyway. At Charlton they seemed to rotate cover artists on their 'mystery' and 'space' type comics... Captain Atom excepted. I saw a show about him talking to his brother and nephew and they'd kept a sort of clipping file of early Batman comics covers he had; it's interesting to think they had an influence on how he would do cover art! Later Charlton would often repurpose interior art for covers and some of those made for memorable Ditko covers. I remember a Jungle Jim issue with Wood inking Ditko and they enlarged one panel for the cover... very striking! Later there was a Wood pencil cover inked by Ditko!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version