Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: November 22 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It’s odd to see what little reaction this anniversary stirs in modern Americans. Fifty-nine years ago it was impossible to imagine this day to be anything but a scar ripped across all our history to come.

I was thirteen, and there was no way I could have predicted I would one day be sitting in my house in Connecticut, communicating by this quasi-magical means, and realizing that our 35th President had been rendered largely inconsequential by the march of time.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It is truly impossible to convey to later generations how the ghost of JFK haunted America. I think by the advent of Reagan, though, our nation less and less dreamed of what we'd lost in losing him -- i.e., the "promise" he offered. A sad loss, to say the least.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Meanwhile, in our time, it seems to be these f@cknuts who have been most intent on keeping JFK (literally) alive:

>> The latest conspiracy the group [QAnon] has clung to is that the Ukraine war is part of a plan to uncover President Joe Biden’s criminality and replace him with JFK, who is very much alive and hiding in plain sight, disguised as former President Donald Trump. << [Source: www.vice.com]

Edited by Michael Penn on 22 November 2022 at 4:18pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JFK would be over 100. That would explain Trumf’s mental aberrations.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I thought the Q theory was about JFK jr.?  Could be either, given how crazy and all-consuming the Q mythos has turned out to be.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 8:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Last time I heard this crap it was indeed JFK Jr. 

It took him three tries to pass the bar exam. The only bar exam Trump could pass would involve telling which drink is bourbon and which is vodka.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Growing up in the 80s, JFK had -- like so much of the 60s -- a kind of legendary aspect to him. I'd have to agree that, as the decades have rolled by, his prominence in the cultural and political zeitgeist has largely faded into the ether of history.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"For in the final analysis, our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this small planet. We all breathe the same air. We all cherish our children's futures. And we are all mortal."

Those words still resonate with me. 

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 November 2022 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I expect that next year the documentaries and specials will be all over tv/etc, for the 60th anniversary. Due to most of the news/documentary channels finding a cash cow out of the specials.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2022 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"The only bar exam Trump could pass would involve telling which drink is bourbon and which is vodka."

Trump doesn't drink. (He also wasn't the man behind the grassy knoll.)

A lot of the Kennedy mystique is deliberate image crafting. Before the assassination, the media covered up his Addison’s disease and personal peccadilloes. After, according to James Pierson, author of Camelot and the Cultural Revolution: How the Assassination of John F. Kennedy Shattered American Liberalism, Jacqueline Kennedy wanted him remembered as a civil rights martyr. (There's no evidence he ever spoke about Camelot the musical.) The liberal left couldn't accept that he was killed by a communist. A modern politician with Kennedy's platform would be called a fascist by most of this board.  

Edited by Jim Burdo on 23 November 2022 at 10:18am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 November 2022 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Trump doesn't drink. (He also wasn't the man behind the grassy knoll.)

••

ON the grassy knoll. Not much use being BEHIND it.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 November 2022 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Burdo wrote:
The liberal left couldn't accept that he was killed by a communist

Glad we have you to set the record straight after all these years.

The confusion over Kennedy's death is understandable in that a major piece of evidence was the Zapruder film which had no sound -- that lack of sound made it unclear when the first shots happened. In other words, it is a an imperfect piece of evidence and hence there is ambiguity. And where there is ambiguity, it's not that surprising that we have differing interpretations over what actually happened.

For many years there was an assumption (a not unreasonable assumption in my opinion, but it would seem an incorrect one) that the first bullet would have been the most accurate. This messed up the timing when trying to play the film alongside the dictabelt audio recording of the events, and this created an impression that the bullets were all fired in a shorter sequence of time than was practicable for a single shooter -- and, hence, the conspiracy theories.

As for Oswald as a communist: his biography would suggest someone that very much wanted to be a communist, tried it out, and then didn't like the reality of it. If he wasn't a patsy as he said, I'd conclude he was someone who had chosen to accept (grudgingly) what capitalist America had to offer, after finding it was better than what was on offer in the communist Soviet Union.

Edited by Peter Martin on 23 November 2022 at 5:36pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version