Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: GOP gonna GOP (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 1  

You're right, of course, that the religious right will consider it a bonus. There is a difference, though, between one candidate saying "I believe in God" and another proclaiming "God is real" as a "truth" that is a key part of their political message.

The former is stating something of your character/personality. The latter has a scary kind of fundamentalist air to it.

Edited to try and improve the clarity of my sentences.

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 May 2023 at 1:43am
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 2  

John: If Trump loses the nomination, the Republican nominee will beat Biden badly in the general election.

Is there some Republican nominee who is backing away from the GOP commitment to ban abortion?

If not, it is wish-casting to imagine a Republican candidate who beats Biden badly.

Swing states are not famous for their commitment to strip women of their right to choose.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 2:14am | IP Logged | 3  

Mark, I didn't even need to check to see who said the comment... Some people just love to live in a fantasy world.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 4  

"Swing states are not famous for their commitment to strip women of their right to choose."

And yet in 2016, when one of his key campaign promises was to nominate conservative justices to overturn Roe v. Wade, Trump won Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, Iowa, and Florida; all states that Obama won in 2012.  

People are not single issue voters, and Biden's approval rating is very low.  He is vulnerable in this election.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 2:36am | IP Logged | 5  

Are the hard core Republican/MAGA types gonna try to overthrow the government again when Sleepy Joe wins again?    

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 6  

"The former is stating something of your character/personality. The latter has a scary kind of fundamentalist air to it."

I agree its odd to have that statement occupy such a prominent position on his campaign website, but I think he's just being very up front about who he is; an extremely conservative person, whose world views are informed by his belief in God.  I don't think he's advocating for a theocracy.  The "10 truths" is separate from the part of his website that describes his policy objectives, and where he talks about policy goals he supports his points without referencing any religious dogma.  

Either way, he's got no chance of winning.

Edited by John Wickett on 25 May 2023 at 2:49am

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 7  

Regarding Biden, here is something I respect about him that sets him apart from other politicians in both parties: He is willing to implement policies that he knows will result in short term pain, in order to achieve results that he believes will provide long term benefits to the country.  In this instance I'm referring to his energy policies.

Biden understands the risk.  American voters are historically short sighted, which is why most politicians lack the courage to invoke pain, even when it is in our best interests. 

His recent comments on the debt ceiling show the same resolve.  When asked if he would be blameless if the government defaults on its debt, he responded: "On the merits, based on what I've offered, I would be blameless."  However, he acknowledged "because I am president, and presidents are responsible for everything 'Biden would take the blame.'"

I admire his willingness to take the political hit for doing what he thinks is right.  Unfortunately for him, I think the hit is coming.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 4:22am | IP Logged | 8  

McCarthy and the Republicans in Congress can easily do what the Democrats have done without drama; their job... to ensure the U.S. does not default on it's obligations financially with irreversible and potentially catastrophic results. Just the willingness to risk that is the opposite of a worthy leader. But, this is a crew who gave themselves multiple standing ovations for doing in fifteen tries what should have taken at worst a couple of rounds of votes; appointing their own Congressional house leader! People want to find fault in Biden next to a never ending show of weakness, bufoonery, quackery, and every other of ery? There's no cure for incurable stupidity.

For whose benefit are these representatives actually working? I mostly see them concerned for people born into generational wealth, racists, religious extremists, homophobes, gun manufacturers, climate change and medical science denialists... want to get into bed with all that because what... political correctness bugs you as having gone too far? Bike lanes? For the most part, blaming Biden is simply a sad game from the Karl Rove playbook, and opting out of that script is long overdue for many including a lot of major media. If there's a conspiracy of an elite cabal it's manned by people who take on China solely because their name branding deal there didn't go so smoothly. The old horse race with balloons and signs is better applied to sports, not politics with the leadership of the free world at stake. Florida is why you got "equivalent duty" Bush Jr., hardly a role model for any future.

Default is a new crisis creation most Republicans see as empowering for them. It is what only those willing to harm their country and people do. Finding those who do not and would not for your representation would seem pretty obvious advice.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 May 2023 at 4:24am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 9  

There's not going to be a default.  This is political theatre being put on by both parties.  How many times have we seen this?  They all know this is coming months in advance.  Each side knows there are some concessions the other side must have in order to reach a deal on the national debt, but they will spend months pointing fingers and hurling barbs at each other to try to placate their bases before reaching a deal at the last minute.  If negotiations are particularly contentious they will pass a temporary spending bill and kick the can down the road so we can do this again in a few months.  

Edited by John Wickett on 25 May 2023 at 5:47am

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'm with Mark above. Unless (until) a Republican grows a pair and steps away from the lunacy that identifies the party nowadays, they will not be winning for awhile. Amazing they have double and triple downed on ideology that the general public rejects. I'm fine with it, keep losing, better for everyone.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 11  

I don't see where "both" parties have played the game over the default threat at all, the Democrats without much fanfare simply did their jobs where the other guys make a big production of actually doing the slightest part of their jobs. It's theater or amusing until suddenly, 'unprecedentedly"... oopsie. "Don't worry, Trump can't possibly ever become President, this is good, it'll destroy them." They don't look very destroyed at all... they still have their hands on a lot of power, bad behaviour continues to be well rewarded.

Just the possibility of default, lasting up to a final possible second, is extremely damaging; I see only one party as deciding to make this part of a "new normal". Meanwhile in the real world of people trying to plan a future for themselves and their family... uncertainty, interest rates rising, inflation the Republicans say the federal government and it's employees can somehow be magically immune from by simply demanding it be so...
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2023 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 12  

Rebecca, this is not the first time that a deal to raise the debt ceiling has not been reached until the last minute.  We have seen this scenario play out many, many times over the years.  We have even seen the government shut down, but we have never defaulted on our debts, and we won't this time.  

Both parties will raise the possibility to scare the public, and they'll blame each other for putting us in this position, but neither side will actually allow a default to occur.  This is all theatre.  A compromise will be struck, and both sides will make concessions their bases hate.  Then they will blame the other side and say they were forced to make these concessions because their opponents would have otherwise caused us to default on the debt and bring catastrophe upon the country.  

This is all about creating political cover for themselves when they ultimately cut a deal.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version