Posted: 16 May 2023 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

Heaven’s??
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2023 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Young voters? In Florida?
DeSantis knows his audience.

Sorry, what I meant was on a national stage.... He's good in Florida (for now.) but does he charm the rest of the country with this nonsense?

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2023 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Well, it looks like members of the Conservatives have stopped pretending &
gone all in with following the Republican playbook.

We currently have our version of the Nuremberg rally going on & it is truly
scary what is being said.

We are usually a few years behind the USA, & I hoped we would approach
but not go through what America has. Alas, it was a false hope.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2023 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

US Senator Tim Scott, the sole Black Republican in the Senate, today launched his run for his party's presidential nomination in 2024.

This will be interesting.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2023 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 5  

He’s going to be sorely disappointed

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2023 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 6  

I'll vote for him.  Out of the Republicans who are in the race or likely to join the race, he would be my first pick.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 4:22pm | IP Logged | 7  

De Santis will apparently enter the race today or tomorrow, which makes things more interesting.  

The conventional wisdom has been that a large Republican field favors Trump, because his constituency is unmovable, and the other candidates will divide the rest of the Republican Party, thereby assuring he gets the nomination.

Without De Santis in the race, I think there is definitely some validity to that argument.  But De Santis will directly court Trump's base, and may have the ability to split the Maga vote.  

Current polling shows Trump leading by a wide margin, but I think his mounting legal problems will eventually have an impact on things, and the debates will be huge.  

My predictions:
  • Hutchinson and Christie are non factors.
  • Ramaswamy will create some noise, but ultimately go nowhere (he is the Republicans' version of Andrew Yang)
  • Pence will not gain any traction, but will hurt Trump
  • De Santis will eventually overtake Trump and win the nomination.
  • Haley and Scott will rise. One of them (I think Scott) will end up being the main alternative to De Santis, and possibly end up as the VP on his ticket.
  • If Trump wins the nomination, Biden wins re-election.
  • If Trump loses the nomination, the Republican nominee will beat Biden badly in the general election.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

I thought a lot more people had hit bottom with this kind of act with the current Republican party, that they'd be fully sick of the divide and attack b.s. and various name-calling games, literally harmful misinformation... apparently not. By this point I certainly expected Trump to be history (creating what happened that January 6th should've been a total capper and prison sentence) with few empowering, looking the other way or taking the fall for him. CNN pretty much now sucks and I won't watch it again, something is wrong there since a change in owners. In other worlds has thrown away it's trusted source status with that ridiculous 'town hall' garbage show with an audience forbidden to voice anything but approval... a disgrace, not journalism, just another pretense of it.

Just grab a brain, really think for yourself, and at the very least figure out your basic self-interests... only then I think the U.S. can get some much needed stability and credibility back. Choose not to live in fear in small ways now so you won't live under more fear later!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 24 May 2023 at 4:50pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 5:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

Something that may or may not be obvious to people with high school and college-aged children, 20% of Gen Z adults identify as LGBTQ+. 

After years of saying that the youth vote will turn things around only for the youth vote to not show up, the 2020 election had the highest turnout for young adults ever. Meanwhile the Boomer vote was no longer the majority and only will shrink more from this point forward. 

I predict, with respect to abortion and LGBTQ rights, people like DeSantis are overreaching and creating a whole strata of single-issue voters. People who might not otherwise be interested in politics or who are unsatisfied with both parties will still show up at the voting booth to vote against the GOP agenda.  

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 5:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

Michael, I agree with you, but I think we are one or two election cycles away from having those changes determine the outcome of a presidential election in the absence of a candidate as polarizing as Trump.  

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
Ramaswamy will create some noise, but ultimately go nowhere (he is the Republicans' version of Andrew Yang)

I agree he'll go nowhere. Where Yang had some interesting policies, Ramaswamy has plain nuts ones though (get rid of the FBI! Then make a new FBI! Get rid of the department of education! Budget requests to Congress to come entirely from me!) and his campaign states such "truths" as "God is real."

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2023 at 10:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

...and his campaign states such "truths" as "God is real."

By itself that doesn't bother me.  Biden is openly Catholic and Obama touted his Christian faith multiple times during his first campaign.  Many presidents have been religious.  

Among Republican voters, I think that will buy him some support from the religious right, but that support won't translate into votes because while there are shared values, he is the wrong religion for them.  So ultimately, they will judge him based on his positions, rather than his faith.

That's where things will fall apart for Ramaswamy.  Behind the patriotic rhetoric, some of his policy ideas are too extreme, ie Civic Duty Voting and the things you already mentioned.  I can't see him winning even one primary, but I think he will influence the dialogue in many of them.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version