Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: GOP gonna GOP (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2023 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

There's an interview clip with Kevin McCarthy about George Santos with one quote that really, really bothered me.  When asked by a reporter as to whether he was going to take any action against Santos due to the allegations about him, McCarthy replied "what are the charges against him?"

It's clear that McCarthy thinks that by flipping the conversation from allegations or extensive admitted and documented falsehoods and associated grifting to 'charges,' it's a burn on the reporter. But it's more like a self-burn... or a burn on Democracy.  Because the direct implication here is that in order for a member of his coalition to face any penalties from the party, actual criminal charges need to have been filed - a real lowering of the ethical Limbo stick.

LINK (Seth Meyers.  Whole thing is worth watching, but the money shot is around the 12:30 mark.  Apologies for secondary sources - can't find the original CNN interview).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2023 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

So it begins... A police officer outside a Ron DeSantis book event in Leesburg, Florida was told to remove anyone wearing Trump from the line.

LOL

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 01 March 2023 at 5:45pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2023 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 3  

For decades I've seen people in the U.S. vote clearly against their own self interest with Republican candidates. It still floors me. Somebody in Ohio worried about the effects of the derailment pollution on them, or the all for student loan forgiveness and availability person, are only now waking up to the 'oops, waitaminit' thing... okay, so you get bicycle lanes and don't ride a bike, but if you detail what the GOP means for you personally, even though not a targeted minority, it's usually not at all good for 90% of people.

The Supreme Court is absolutely rigged now, by the Orwellian (and sometimes literally billionaire) bozos who whine the most about things being rigged. I'll be shocked if they take credit now for the EPA and rail maintenance cuts they crowed about not long ago, or do anything to balance or stop the educational arms race rigged in favor of the wealthy. Man of 'faith' Ted Cruz buggering off while people froze to death in Texas is the true face of the GOP these days to me, and DeSantis is a huckster of anti-Fauci memorabilia. Quit empowering people working feverishly against your own interests if nothing else. Everyone for themselves, poor to no infrastructure, and lack of regulation is what defines a backward no-hope banana republic, not the greatest anything.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

This type of news slips thru the 'cracks'... 

North Carolina Rep. Tricia Cotham, who won election to a deep-blue Charlotte-area seat as a Democrat just five months ago, CHANGED PARTIES Tuesday - a move that gives Republicans a veto-proof majority. LINK

No wonder voters sometimes feel deflated about the process.

-C!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Doesn’t it seem like changing parties should mean an automatic resignation?
Back to Top profile | search

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 6  

Why should she resign? she was elected by the people of her area, for the people of her area. Now, afterwords, she's got a lot of things to answer for, including her disingenuousness to her constituents, but simply switching parties shouldn't merit a resignation. 

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 7  

This concerns me that other Republicans could run as Democrats, win, and then switch sides.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 8  

"Doesn’t it seem like changing parties should mean an automatic resignation?"

---

Or at the very least, a special election.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

Why should she resign? she was elected by the people of her area, for the people of her area. Now, afterwords, she's got a lot of things to answer for, including her disingenuousness to her constituents, but simply switching parties shouldn't merit a resignation.

•••

Her constituents elected her as a Democrat. Presumably, that means the majority expect her to represent Democratic values. In today’s Congress, that is very different from Republican values.

This woman made a promise to the people who voted for her. She has now broken than promise.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

She was "disingenuousness to her constituents, but simply switching parties shouldn't merit a resignation."

Seriously, THIS part of the problem with this country. No sense of accountability. *sigh*

-C!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 11  

Why should she resign? she was elected by the people of her area, for the
people of her area. Now, afterwords, she's got a lot of things to answer for,
including her disingenuousness to her constituents, but simply switching
parties shouldn't merit a resignation.

Because she won based on a platform that is now the opposite of the
people that voted her in. If she had run as a Republican would she have
won? She absolutely needs to be made to resign.

John OConnor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2023 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 12  

Only speaking for myself, but I don't vote party line - I vote for the candidate, not the party they run under [helps avoid mistakes like the George Santos debacle]. She clearly had a hidden agenda, and now she's played her hand. If they want to haunt her every public appearance and ridicule her for her blatant duplicity, I say have at it, but she's a duly elected representative who was elected by her constituents. As there's no avenue to recall her, perhaps that is where they should start. 

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version