Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: GOP gonna GOP (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 1  

John Wickett wrote:

I think McCarthy will eventually get 218 votes, but he'll have to compromise on several issues with either far right Republicans or moderate Democrats.  Both of those groups should be actively engaging in negotiations with McCarthy.  Simply trying to outlast each other seems like a bad strategy here.

The problem for McCarthy is that a significant portion of the Freedom Caucus is fundamentally anti-government, so they gain points with their constituents for being disruptive and creating a spectacle rather than for passing legislation.  There is nothing McCarthy can offer them that exceeds the publicity (and resultant benefit) they are getting by opposing him and shutting down all House activity.  So they have no incentive to negotiate and McCarthy has no leverage.  And the longer this goes on, it makes them more intransigent, since they do not want to appear to have caved.  They want to tell their constituents they "won."  They've painted McCarthy as the villain and do not want to appear to have flip-flopped.

At this point I'd say McCarthy has no chance of being elected speaker without Democratic help.  He's either going to have to make a deal with the Democrats or step aside for someone else.     

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 06 January 2023 at 12:18am
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 2:08am | IP Logged | 2  

Jason what you state is too true, the larger question is will the hardcore 5, actually vote for any republican put up for the position? Or will they just continue to disrupt everything so they can fundraise off of it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 3:20am | IP Logged | 3  

Brian, I think at this point they've framed victory as "no McCarthy" so I think at least some of those five guys would potentially vote for some other Republican, assuming it's someone who isn't well-known for being moderate or compromising, and assuming they are offered some concessions.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 4  

I'm sure they'd vote for any of the names they've thrown out there, ie Jim Jordan, who says he doesn't want it.  

Jason I agree with your comments with respect to a small number of the 20 holdouts, but I still think a deal will be made.

As ugly as this has been, we're only on Day 3.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 5  

John, we're only on day three, but McCarthy has had almost two months to prepare for this, and it appears he fundamentally misunderstood his opposition and went into this week with no real plan other than to assume they would fold after a couple rounds of voting.  Now he appears to think he can buy votes with concessions, but I think there are too many people who are unwilling to vote for him at any price.  I think he will be lucky if he can add 12-14 votes via negotiations, and that there's probably a solid 5-7 people who will never vote for him (or change their vote to "present" to help him) under any circumstances.  Again, why should they?  They are gaining what they want by being oppositional. 

And McCarthy also runs the risk that if he bends over backwards too far and makes too extreme of concessions to get some of the 20 contrarians, he might alienate moderates who resent getting nothing for their loyalty.  There's a chance he might lose a vote or two that way.

I'm sticking to my prediction that the only way McCarthy becomes Speaker is by negotiating help from the Democrats.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 6  

"John, we're only on day three, but McCarthy has had almost two months to prepare for this, and it appears he fundamentally misunderstood his opposition and went into this week with no real plan other than to assume they would fold after a couple rounds of voting."

No doubt about that.  But as much as the holdouts might be gaining PR points with the far right by being oppositional, I think they understand they would lose those points if the major concessions he's already made are lost because McCarthy ultimately has to turn to Democrats to get elected.  That's why I think at some point (if they are smart) they will blink.  

Democrats must also understand this. I think they are missing an opportunity by not already negotiating with McCarthy.  IMO, one of these groups is making a political miscalculation. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 7  

There is zero benefit to the Democrats making an offer to help McCarthy. He’s already made it clear that his agenda includes retaliatory House investigations into the J6 committee, Hunter Biden, the handling of COVID, the FBI. Any cooperation between the Democrats and McCarthy can and should require the sort of concessions that would basically end McCarthy’s career in the GOP. He’s not going to go there. 

If the MAGA holdouts end up resulting in a consensus Speaker, that doesn’t hurt them in the slightest with their constituents. It just proves their point that establishment Republicans are RINOs and part of the Swamp. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 8  

^This

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

“Turning to the Democrats” sounds like completely misunderstanding the situation. Michael’s assessment seems much more likely and as dumb as McCarthy seems politically, I doubt he is thinking it is possible at all at this point. Matt Gaetz had already gone to AOC to fact check when McCarthy tried to lie about this very thing. Someone isn’t up on current events. 

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

"There is zero benefit to the Democrats making an offer to help McCarthy. He’s already made it clear that his agenda includes retaliatory House investigations into the J6 committee, Hunter Biden, the handling of COVID, the FBI."

That's going to happen no matter who the speaker is.  We're going to get 2 years of legislative gridlock and political theatre.  

The difference between McCarthy compromising with moderate Democrats or the far right will be which procedural rule changes get adopted.  An agreement with Dems wouldn't stop the investigations, but it could impact how they play out, and in 2024 when both sides are trying to appeal to a fed up and pissed off electorate, Dems would be able to say they tried to reach across the aisle.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 11  

The Dems will never vote for McCarthy.  Every single vote all 212 have voted for Hakeem Jeffries as House Leader.  Jeffries is getting more votes than McCarthy....

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2023 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

As the current Republican party, especially the so-called hardline hold-outs, is known for not keeping their word and even 180 degree turns in position, perhaps McCarthy will promise anybody anything to get what he so feels he deserves and then not abide by them? For the 'Democrats are an evil enemy' situation that seems the only hope.

McCarthy had a choice to stand up to Trump and his or other supposed revolutionaries and he denounced all of them over the attack on the capitol that cost real lives... and then promptly debased himself heading to Mar-A-Lago to kiss Trump's privileged ass and beg forgiveness and begin minimizing the crimes. It matters not what party affiliation anyone has, you simply cannot respect that. He is essentially broken whatever title he may connive his way to achieving, but more so by the same pandering to actual thugs and crooks like Perry whose vote he finally gained. Are there ever any actual moderate or even intelligent Republicans left and how do they view these deals for McCarthy to have his grand prize of historic note? If he loses not one from empowering the hostage takers the party is truly pointless, exercising power only for private gains, individual vanity, small details, and sheer fanatical divisiveness.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 06 January 2023 at 7:54pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version