Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

I totally dig it, and look forward to inking over it
tonight on an 11x17 piece of bristol vellum with my
favorite brush pens.
(THIS is what I dreamt of doing when I was a kid.)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 3:07pm | IP Logged | 2  

RE: publishing comics without inks... I'm remembering some kind of color Gene Colan comic published from pencils without an inker and I didn't like that one, but there was a short Roy Krenkel comic or part of a comic in pencil with color that seemed to work, but a lot of it was set underwater and it suited that. P. Craig Russell b&w pencilled comics are very nice! I also saw some Curt Swan pencils in a San Diego con book once and I think he could've gone without inking too. Maybe it's putting color on top that is a bit strange looking, although today's quality of printing maybe even that Gene Colan with color could've worked out, especially minus too many bold primary colors.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 June 2018 at 3:08pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shawn Kincade
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

I mean do you think there's a future for you in this business ?

•••

That's kind of the ultimate question, isn't it?

Seeing this incredible drawing makes me miss the characters I grew up with and new creative work from JB, the creator whose work has been a huge part of my 40 years (!) of reading comics.

There's no doubt a future in modern comics for JB if he wants it.  I want him to want it, the same way that I want anyone who is excellent at what they do to do it in his or her field.  There is a loss when a great songwriter stops writing songs, when a great athlete stops playing, or when a great chef stops cooking, for example -- because some people seem to have been put on this planet to do what they do better than almost anyone else.  The realization and fulfillment of purpose is a beautiful thing.

But I realize it's sort of selfish to think that JB should produce new comics work or commissions just because he can do it better than almost anyone who has ever done it and because I want to enjoy new work.  Obviously, JB can do the work.  But should I expect him to do so?  He owes me and his fans nothing, and if he has lost interest in favor of engaging in other pursuits, it's hardly my business no matter how disappointing it is.  Or how tragic it is to know that such great gifts and developed skills go unused.  We all need to do what we can to enjoy our brief time, however, and for JB, maybe interest in writing or drawing for public consumption has passed.  There is no obligation to act on great ability.

But if you are ever on the fence about it, sir, keep in mind that with great power comes great responsibility . . . which is a not-exactly analogous way of saying that with your great ability comes our great hope that that ability is implemented.

In any event, the drawing that began this discussion is fantastic.  It captures why I have enjoyed your work for decades while expressed in a different style, if that makes sense.  Thanks for sharing it.

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 4  

Love this drawing, JB. It would be a pretty wild experiment to see it inked by a few different people, just to illustrate for readers how much that changes the final art.
Thanks for sharing it with us!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 5  

Once again proving WHY you're my fav Wolverine artist (you "own" him!)

Fantastic drawing -- I'll be examining this one for many days, JB!!

-C!

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 6  

I am no inker, but it makes me want to try my hand at
it... Just for the fun, and to see what would be the
result.
Would it be OK to do that, JB?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 4:30am | IP Logged | 7  

Knock yourself out! :-)

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 8  

In just this one drawing, I see energy, tension and drama! Three things that are missing from many of the current X-Men comics. I recognize these guys, which is also something that's missing from many of the current X-Men comics. 

Current John Byrne would be a valuable asset on a current X-Men book, where writers like Marc Guggenheim are trying to right the ship. His book doesn't even have a regular artist, just an assortment of one off artists here and there. The lack of consistency is maddening.

My apologies for gushing. I do have a few questions: after scratching that itch, how did you feel about the result? Do you feel that you could still pencil for someone else to ink? Could you see yourself finding joy in doing so?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 9  

My apologies for gushing.

•••

I don't mind! :-)

+++

... after scratching that itch, how did you feel about the result? Do you feel that you could still pencil for someone else to ink? Could you see yourself finding joy in doing so?

•••

I could have fun with it.

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 8:49am | IP Logged | 10  

Man, it would be fun to see you work with those characters again. 

And, seriously, Guggenheim seems to be doing his damnedest to tell good X-Men stories, but in my opinion, his efforts are hindered by the lack of a strong, steady artist. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 11  

I think the only way I could even get close to these characters again would be if Marvel decided to give HIDDEN YEARS back to me, and then stood back and let me do my job.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 12  

That is a fantastic solution and would certainly get me back into a comic shop.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version