Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 1  

Dale, this has been stewing since AUGUST of last year, when they surely must have known what their game plan was for 2019. That was when MAY was suggested as the launch date—by them, not by me.

Serialization on the JBf—my original plan—is becoming more and more appealing.

Back to Top profile | search

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 2  

Marvel did just give the X-men to Hickman to get him to return, so maybe this is the hold up?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 3  

I can see it bringing a lot of older fans back where many things (the starting over yet again, the going extreme, the multiple limited edition variations) wouldn't or would even be repelling... it was the Hidden Years that broke the ice for me again after mostly twenty years or so of hardly looking at comic books, and since then I checked out various other Marvel and DC series. I think it would be good reading for a younger reader as well, just like when the old Thunderbirds shows were re-run in England in the 1990s and set off a new wave of comics and toys  for young fans and videos and reprint books for older fans.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 4  

Such a shame.  I was so hoping to see this in print.  Man, what is wrong with Marvel? 

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hickman? Oh look, more #1s... lot's more I bet. Wow, this changes everything (said sarcastically). Like I said, "starting over yet again, multiple variations"... well, don't know about extreme... no giant guns and thighs anyway, but Professor X might be going radical.

"these new stories will redefine the X-Men and their place in the Marvel Universe" - C.B. Cebulski. Maybe I'm wrong and this House Of X and Power Of X will be really exciting to others?

Instead of continually asking people who buy comics what they want and then giving those ever smaller numbers that, maybe they should be asking the far greater numbers of people who don't buy comics (especially who once did) what they want?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 09 May 2019 at 5:29pm

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB: Dale, this has been stewing since AUGUST of last year, when they surely must have known what their game plan was for 2019. That was when MAY was suggested as the launch date—by them, not by me. 

Serialization on the JBf—my original plan—is becoming more and more appealing.

---

2 thoughts...

1) Would it be absurd to put "mustaches" on the characters and then have IDW publish it? 

2) Or perhaps give Marvel a deadline? A deal needs to be in place by the end of May or you're moving on?

Just trying to be helpful... sorry if the suggestions are annoying.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

My guess is that there has been push-back from whoever is 'guarding' the core X-books and that this project may be seen as a bit of a threat. Just a guess, but what really does Marvel have to lose from publishing something that has, at the very least, some guaranteed interest? 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ever since this ethereal little project began, my gut feeling was that it would never be published, at least not outside this forum. The current climate and culture of the industry just won’t allow for it. It would be too good, too smart of a move. At best, I think that the main appeal to Marvel for trying to work out a deal would be to provide a temporary sales boost to the sinking ship. A shot in the arm, rather than some kind of return to form.

I also have the sneaking feeling that JB and we loyal fans would be much better served if it WAS only published here, outside of a failing and flailing system which could throw all sorts of wrenches into the machinery.

Anyway, being exposed to the DARK PHOENIX trailer (Oy!) recently got me thinking about how exciting it will be to see a fresh take on this era, an era where so many of the characters were still feel of the barnacles they’d later accumulate. Not quite a righting of wrongs, exactly, but rather a fun way to see what might have been. I firmly believe that—later developments and consequences aside—the published X-MEN # 137 was the right way to go for that story, but it’s still fun to get a sense of the road not taken.

JB has long blamed himself for the effect that the death of Phoenix had on the industry, but that storyline is easily in the top five that Marvel’s ever published. And, whereas the (soon to be) two film adaptations have tried to cram and compromise and mangle all of that story into two tidy hours, the comic story took four years of slow buildup. Seventeen years, really, since so much of the story’s power depended of all of those years of slow character and relationship growth. That’s also why # 138 works so well as an epilogue: # 137 capped off the biggest and best X-Men story up to that point (and, arguably, ever), and it only became the biggest and best because it took a long time and a lot of chess moves to get there.

And now we’ll see how the game will go when that one crucial chess piece—the death of Phoenix (or lack thereof)—is played differently!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 09 May 2019 at 10:22pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 9  

I still remain hopeful that Marvel and JB can work something out. This may be a true labor of love, and I am grateful that JB plans to share it with us fans one way or another, but it would be nice to see it get published officially so JB could reap some financial benefits for his work.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:12am | IP Logged | 10  

On the subject of WHY Marvel has yet to make any move in public, or in private with JB about this matter, I don't see any benefit in the rest of us trying to figure out if there is any grand schemes or conspiracies at work. I see a lot of speculation going on, but that is all it is at this point. Let's just cross our fingers for Marvel and JB to reach some agreement on the deal, and wait until JB and/or Marvel makes the final decision.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 3:16am | IP Logged | 11  

These delays all sound like 'legal' issues to me. 

JB is willing. CB is (was) willing. 

So, unless there is someone on the X-Books with more pull than CB, it seems the wrinkle has to be somewhere else, right?.

I'm guessing legal. No idea what, as that is a large broad stroke 'Legal'.

There is/was a common declaration across Publishers that said they would not pick up work that had already been done (Perhaps removing their 'voice' from the process). So, if you came to them with something already produced, they wouldn't take it. (Not sure if that is just a rule for the many and not for the Legends among us!)

There has to be a reason for that broad rule.

Obviously, my hope is that CB/Marvel and JB figure out a way. Marvel would take a giant step back to being "Marvel" with John back there.

I'm hugely grateful that John found out that he had this itch and that it has stuck around long enough (Likely due to that lack of soul-sapping interference) that he can see so far down the road with the project.

(As an aside: Marvel may wait until they know there's an end to the project. There may be different implications between a 12 issue series and an ongoing project with no foreseeable end. Marvel should title series "My Way:" That way they could invite a creator to choose any of their titles at any point in time and do it 'their way'. So Walter Simonson on Thor (again), John Byrne on the X-Men, Neal Adams on the Avengers etc.) 

Edit: 'There' replacing 'Their'.

Edited by Darren Taylor on 10 May 2019 at 3:18am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 12  

I've decided to lock this thread. What started out as a bit of fun has degenerated into uniformed speculation, which only adds to my increasing sense of frustration and annoyance.

If something happens--a very big "if" at this point--I'll reopen the thread. For now, move along, move along. Nothing to see here.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version