Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 376 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Figurine Collection Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What sometimes amazes me is that those who will fight the hardest and loudest for the blue colors on various characters who used to be black are the selfsame fans who demand absolute fidelity to every moment of the "continuity". As is so often the case, "continuity" in this instance means "since I started reading".

I wonder, back in those pre-internet days, when letters saw print only if the editors wanted them to, were there people who complained about Neal Adams occasionally reverting Batman to his original black and gray color scheme?

Back to Top profile | search

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It's funny, but the blue and gray Batman was the first one I "saw" as a kid in the 70s, and it took me a while to get used to the "real" one when I first saw it (briefly) in Dark Knight Returns, and again in Batman Year One. Now that's the one that looks right to me.

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Side note about letter pages, John--someone wrote to Marvel about ASM # 241 and praised them for restoring the black to the costume. Of course, knowing fandom, that may have just been a case of Marvel editors counting the "hits" and ignoring the "misses."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

This is an important point which has, for some reason, eluded many fans over the years. There was always an agenda of some kind at work when an editor chose a letter for publication.

Sometimes it was nothing more sinister than picking a letter because it was neatly typed and thus saved the editor some work. (Roger Stern tells the story of pointing out to one of the writer/editors that he was running absolute drivel in his letter columns because he was applying this approach, and it happened that a couple of the more, er, damaged fans happened to be good typists.)

More often, tho, an editor chose a letter because it served some purpose, usually promotional. The old "Glad you asked about Dr. NastyGuy, as he will be appearing in our very next issue!"

What sprang from this, let's call it "innocence" on the part of the fans was a false sense of empowerment. By getting a letter published, they felt they had really "made a difference" -- even if it usually meant they had no idea of the publishing schedules of the books! (There was one guy who used to write to FANTASTIC FOUR almost like clockwork, complaining one month about something he thought I was doing, and then writing the next month to say he was glad to see I had followed his advice and gone in a different direction. He was completely oblivious to the fact that the issue that commanded his second letter had been finished and done months before he wrote his first letter!)

I used to say this false sense of empowerment was something I saw manifest all over the internet, as people took the same feeling from hitting that "ENTER" key as used to be gotten from seeing a letter published. Alas, as time has passed, the sense of empowerment has become less and less false, as more and more editors react directly to the internet. Madness!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Another note on coloring. Gerry has posted the next issue of FANTASTIC FOUR in the reading thread, and as I glanced at the images I was struck by something that has long bugged me.

In the corner symbol, Sue is partially invisible. The colorist has made the background green, but her legs, what can be seen of them, pale blue. This is because "Sue is always blue!" One of those arbitrary "rules" that find their way into the lexicon.

The effect is to make her look rather more like a floating amputee than a woman who is partially invisible. It's no wonder, then, I suppose, that over the years I have received several letters from fans who did not quite "get" what being "invisible" means. Best typified by the one who suggested that, just as Johnny sometimes used his flame to sculpt dopplegangers of himself, Sue should use her forcefield to make "invisible copies" to fool the bad guys.

During my time on FF I tried all kinds of different ways to make Sue "look invisible", but somehow the coloring always seemed to defeat my efforts.

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Actually, I always thought Luke wore very tightblue jeans with his yellow shirt…

•••

Shiny blue jeans?

Actually, the pants are NOT black - they're African American.

(sorry - couldn't resist a little politically incorrect humor here)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Oh, sure -- and I'll get in trouble for it!

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Does that make green Irish American?

Pat Ditton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well...since this thread is actually a little off topic already (until the next figurine pics get posted) --- I've always thought it strange to call "black" Americans "African Americans".  I guess part of it comes from my personal thoughts on not needing to label anyone -- BUT -- If you're "African American" it is supposed to tell us that at some point an ancestor came from "Africa" - the continent -- not the tiny little country called Africa.  SO what are you if you are from Egypt ?  You're still African American.  similarly if you're from India -- you should be considered Asian American.

I'm White -- My lineage is European (Welsh, English, German) -- in fact one of my family tree branches can be traced all the way back to the early fleets.  So am I just "American" ?

Branding of skin color / race is so stupid -- but I guess that is spoken from someone who's never really been discriminated against - except via reverse racism.....

Luke's pants ---- I always figured he didn't really wear a traditional costume - pants, shirt, bracelets, etc. - but not a regular spandex thing.   So his pants were black or blue -- 'cause he had different sets of pants.   I agree that BLACK or a DARK BLUE works better than that bright blue on the figure.

Michael Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I don't like people with dwarf avatars

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2007 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Does that make green Irish American?

•••

Only if Irish-Americans are called Greens.

Gil Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So I've gotten 6 of these recently. They're really neat. Question about painting them though. I read somewhere, maybe this thread, that Eaglemoss uses Games Workshop paint. Anyone know for sure? The Dr. Strange I received is chipped on one of its finger and I thought I may fix it myself. I was looking to get the glove color.

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version