Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Nevermind.

Edited by David Whiteley on 14 July 2007 at 7:04pm
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Can we not even link to a cover in wikipedia?

••

What part of "The JBF is a Wikipedia-Free Zone. Any posts that link to or take information from Wikipedia will be deleted no matter what their content. " do you not understand?

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

What part of "The JBF is a Wikipedia-Free Zone. Any posts that link to or take information from Wikipedia will be deleted no matter what their content. " do you not understand?
--

As I mentioned after double-checking the rules and edited in my above post, "nevermind."

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Gotta love that time and date stamp!

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yes, it is good to see when a post is edited.

Mind-reading aside, thatdoes not change that I went to check the rules again, saw that all wikipedia was off limits, and edited my post accordingly after noting your friendly reminder that followed.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

But somehow, you seem to have missed this:

•Do not ask "Why" if your post or thread is deleted. All you need to know is there was a reason.

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes, JB. You've proven that I fucked up in my post. I get it. Say it again if you wish.

Ray Earles
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Does anyone happen to know the origin of this illustration technique that is causing so much confusion? What is the earliest use of it in comics?

Ron Farrell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2007 at 9:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Actually, I always thought Luke wore very tightblue jeans with his yellow shirt. He doesn't seem a tights kind of guy.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Does anyone happen to know the origin of this illustration technique that is causing so much confusion? What is the earliest use of it in comics?

•••

If by "illustration technique" you mean blue-for-black, it's as old as comics -- and by "comics" I mean not just the half-tab format that wears the name today, but all the way back to the newspaper comics, our venerable ancestors.

It's a side effect of the four-color (CMYK) process, and the limitations imposed by it. Even if a colorist was skilled enough to coax a wide range of effects out of the limited pallette, the work was still filtered thru the separators, who sometimes followed the guides, sometimes didn't. (You can find Prince Valiant, for instance, sometimes with pale gray highlights on his black hair, sometimes white, sometimes blue, sometimes blue-gray.)

In comic books, which were from the beginning the redheaded stepchild of "real" publishing, even less care was taken, and "shorthand" often became "shortest possible". Thus, Superman has blue highlights, and people say he has blue hair.* Even tho Lois also had blue highlights. (Perhaps people thought that was a rinse?)

Bottom line, some like to say that comicbooks are an art form masquerading as an industry. Alas, when we get to the actual production end, we find the industrial aspects overwhelming everything, and it becomes all about speed and efficiency, not about "art".

*When I was working on Superman, I asked that he be given warm gray highlights, more realistic than blue. This prompted Garry Trudeau, who really should have known better, to have Ronald Reagan, in DOONESBURY, wondering if he should stop dying his hair, since even Superman had "gone gray".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 6:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Actually, I always thought Luke wore very tightblue jeans with his yellow shirt…

•••

Shiny blue jeans?

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2007 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I remember the very issue and time when Marvel fixed the coloring on Spider-Man after so many years--ASM # 241, with the origin of the Vulture. They finally went back to black with blue highlights. Drives me nuts, today, when I see Spider-Man toys (especially ones for the tykes) when his costume is painted red and soft blue--looks awful.

<< Prev Page of 376 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version