Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Q: for John Byrne...ANYTHING you enjoy these days? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 1  

Once upon a time, comics used to be able to offer something Hollywood couldn't. The way I expressed it was that when George Lucas wanted to film an alien planet, he had to take his crew to Tunisia, whereas I shot on location.

Comics had a "bigness" that the movies didn't. To do in a movie what Jack Kirby did in a comic would either cost most of the production budget, or run the risk of looking incredibly cheesy. But that's not so, anymore. Computer graphics have provided moviemakers with essentially the same "pallette" Kirby had -- if you want that alien cityscape, or that starship, or that incredible parallel dimension, you simply create it in the computer.

So, when we see something like STAR WARS, or SKY CAPTAIN, or SPIDER-MAN, we see the stuff that used to be strictly the province of comics -- and we see it bigger and better.

What's odd, tho, is that the current crop of comic creators seems largely to have responded to this challenge by backing down. They have effectively surrendered to Hollywood, saying "I can't do what they do, so I will do less." So we get painted panels of Tony Stark talking on his cell phone. We get heroes standing around arguing with each other. We get whole issues in which the title character does not appear in costume. (We are, after all, embarassed by costumes. Hollywood told us we should be.)

What we don't get, except very rarely, is the kind of over-the-top stuff that used to be the cornerstone of superhero comics. We don't get Superman smashing thru walls, we get him sitting on clouds. We don't get the Hulk ripping tanks apart, we get page after page of Bruce Banner feeling sorry for himself.

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 2  

< Don't get me wrong, the art is very well drawn. But there's no sense of action, dynamism. >

Maybe in some of the books, but  there are lots of artists like Pacheco, A. Davis, Larsen, Yanick Paquette, Ivan Reis and Hitch just to name a few that have great action and dynamics in their work.

It comes down to your personal taste.

andy

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 3  

"What's odd, tho, is that the current crop of comic creators seems largely to have responded to this challenge by backing down"

Very interesting ...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 4  

What JB said

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 5  

"Pacheco, A. Davis, Larsen, Yanick Paquette, Ivan Reis and Hitch"

I enjoy the work (and dynamism!) of most of those artists.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 6  

Andy, I like those examples of artists you listed above but I'm not familiar with Pacquette. What is some of the stuff he has worked on?

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm looking forward to Perez's Brave and the Bold and have been loving FF: The End.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

Don't get me wrong, the art is very well drawn. But there's no sense of action, dynamism.

+++

Maybe in some of the books, but  there are lots of artists like Pacheco, A. Davis, Larsen, Yanick Paquette, Ivan Reis and Hitch just to name a few that have great action and dynamics in their work.

It comes down to your personal taste.

What it comes down to, is that you should not be able to make a list like that. You should not, when confronted with the statement that too many are doing it wrong, trot out half a dozen names of those who are, you feel, doing it right. In the "Marvel Age" the half dozen names would be those who were on the wrong side of the coin. The list of books that were going above and beyond, and the artists providing that work, would have been the long one.

Stanton L. Kushner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't think Andy meant that those are the *only* guys doing it right. 

Günther Seydlitz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

These days comic book art looks more like storyboards...boring
storyboards.

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
What it comes down to, is that you should not be able to make a list like that.

Good point.

Bodhi Radl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 12  

"What's odd, tho, is that the current crop of comic creators seems largely to have responded to this challenge by backing down. They have effectively surrendered to Hollywood, saying "I can't do what they do, so I will do less." So we get painted panels of Tony Stark talking on his cell phone. We get heroes standing around arguing with each other. We get whole issues in which the title character does not appear in costume. (We are, after all, embarassed by costumes. Hollywood told us we should be.)

What we don't get, except very rarely, is the kind of over-the-top stuff that used to be the cornerstone of superhero comics. We don't get Superman smashing thru walls, we get him sitting on clouds. We don't get the Hulk ripping tanks apart, we get page after page of Bruce Banner feeling sorry for himself. "

Very well put. I have expressed a similar opinion numerous times on other boards, and usually with the same response: "but the stories are so much better now", or "the characters have so much more deapth now that writers don't have to rely on pages of useless fighting." Of course these responses are totally inacurate. There were some great stories told back in those days of the fisticuffs, I daresay even some better stories, plus you had the exceptionally exciting action scenes that we all remember so fondly.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version