Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Q: for John Byrne...ANYTHING you enjoy these days? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

We come back to that ol' debbil lack of sophistication -- this time in the audience. "This story has lots of panels of people standing around talking. It must be deep!"

Previous "generations" used to know how to write stories in which there was huge amounts of action --- and depth of characterization. That, in fact, was what gave birth to the whole "Marvel Age".

Today, we have professionals and readers who are so embarassed to have anything to do with superheroes (yet are addicted to them, in the first case for the money, in the second for the "fix") that they must try to knock down the stories of yore. "Oh, those were just giant slugfests! They didn't have any depth." Right. The saga of Bruce Banner or Ben Grimm had no "depth". The death of Franklin Storm had no "depth". The first coming of Galactus had no "depth". The Master Planner arc had no "depth". Hell, did the death of Junior Juniper have no "depth"? Not a month went by that there was not a steady flow of comics that were exciting, dynamic, bursting with energy -- and full of human drama. More in a single issue, in other words, than a year's worth of monthlies too often contains today.*

*Of course, for some books that is a single
issue!

Back to Top profile | search

Andy Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was just naming a few artists off the top of my head. Wasn't trying to list everyone that has good dynamics just a few that sprung to mind.

andy

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

Wasn't trying to list everyone that has good dynamics just a few that sprung to mind.

Didn't think you were, Andy. But my point remains. In days of yore, your list would have been much, much longer.

Dusty Abell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 4  

John, if i send you the first hardcover collection of Invincible would you read it? I honest to goodness think you might enjoy it! Its just old fashioned comic book fun, cracking the cover open might be the biggest challenge, but it fills a void for me in comics these days because its the kind of series i grew up reading. Perhaps you might find it to be similar for you. The only reason i put together the book I did is because I believe in this series so much and want to see it succeed, it sure isn't about cashing in. Just an offer, but i'll have it in the mail tonight if you were up for it. Take care.

Ron Sluyter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

I enthusiastically second the recommendation of Invincible. 

Edited by Ron Sluyter on 19 January 2007 at 1:17pm

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

> I enthusiastically second the recommendation of Invincibles. 

Ron, that was Invincible. The Image series by Robert Kirkman. A nice read that smacks of traditional superhero storytelling.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andy Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

I second Dusty, Invincible is a damn fine book. Good art and a good read! One nice package!

The Invincible Universe book is great too! Would love to have contributed to that.

andy

Ron Sluyter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thats what I meant, sorry the typo threw you off

David Whiteley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

I read those Invincible issues and need to pick up the hardcover once and for all!

Stephen Sadowski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

Well, you'll THIRD it Ron..;)

I still stand by my comment that ART and WRITING  has probably never been better as a whole..
 When I go back and read the comics that I loved as a kid..The ADAMS/O'NEill Batman..the Perez Justice League...they dont read well... They read like kids comics. Now some would say that that is THE POINT...lol. But I was reading them THEN through ten year old eyes.Kids these days ARE more sophisticated than we were at ten! I dont agree with the level of violence in some comics..esp when Wonder Woman spins a guys head around...but there are still MANY diamonds out there...
 IMO Kurt Busiek is a master of the new generation(middle?) of writers, managing to capture the 'new voice' of comics as well as the 'grandeur' , if you will, of the old..JLA/Avengers, Astro City comes to mind immediately...

Anyway, John,  so you are saying then that NO, there is nothing that excites you these days..?
 Wow, thats really inconceivable to me...
 I'm going to add Darwyn Cookes NEW FRONTIER to my 'JB  Recommended Reading'  list..

I'm NEARLY positive you would enjoy that...

Edited by Stephen Sadowski on 19 January 2007 at 1:21pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 11  

Grandeur and dynamism missing? Well, I think you got the point.

Today there are several comics which seem... Uh, how do you call them in English? "Photonovels"?
Tecnically, they're great. I see what Epting is doing on CAPTAIN AMERICA and I cannot say it's bad. But... What's really missing, is the "atmosphere".  

Some week ago I have read the early issues of HIDDEN YEARS. Arts by JB and Tom Palmer, you know. There is a Savage Land story, just like when JB was drawing UNCANNY: I get the 2 books and compare them. That UNCANNY isssue is from 1979, HY from 2000. Same artist, but different styles.
Fanboys tell that "his old stuff was better". UNCANNY should be "old stuff". Well, that was great. Beautiful artworks, the best I have seen in the series. HY is drawn with a different style. Less elegant, maybe, more "rough". But, look at those pages. I read it and my first thought is "It's a comic book!". I appreciate what JB is doing. I admit I prefer how he drawn Superman or the X-Men, but I like the evolution of his style. He's trying to create a true comic book atmosphere, and, in my opinion, he is doing it well. No photos, no graphic realism... Yet he still does good COMIC BOOKS. JB, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you still trying to evolve your style in something different? Following your most recent works, I'd say so.

Another example. As told billions of times before, the most popular comic here is TEX, a western. TEX's major artist was Aurelio Galleppini, who drawn most of the first 400 issues and all the covers. With issue #401 he was replaced by one of our best talents, Claudio Villa. Villa is amazing, every cover drawn by him is a little masterpiece. Despite this, I still prefer Galleppini's covers. And not for the style (Villa is #1), but for the impact of those images. Always a good idea for every cover, always a great atmosphere. These are 2 covers drawn by him, 2 of my favorites.

See? Those aren't perfect artworks. But I can't help but admire them.
Pure comic book.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2007 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dusty, if JB doesn't want it, feel free to send it to me :-)
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version