Posted: 17 November 2023 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Another thread showed a commission Michael Golden
finished based on his original sketch for AVENGERS ANNUAL
#10.  There are a lot of beautiful--but rejected--covers
and sketches out there that deserve to be seen!  Post
your favorites!
Here's the published cover
by Al Milgrom (clearly an editor's idea based on function
not beauty), followed by Golden's finished version.

That darn bike ad ruined more
covers--!!

Edited by Tim O Neill on 02 December 2023 at 4:49pm
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2023 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Probably the best part of the short-lived Atlas (Seaboard) Comics of the 1970's was Howard Chaykin's THE SCORPION, and I always wondered why he didn't do the cover to issue #2.  Well, turns out he did, but it was rejected!  Here's the published cover by Ernie Colon (which doesn't even match the interior story), followed by Chaykin's beautiful rejected version.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2023 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That Milgrom cover isn't bad at all, it's definitely good to me if not great, it's just not anything much like the Golden comic inside. He was possibly the best inker Golden ever had though! Milgrom did some great landmark covers the same as Dave Cockrum has.

I'd love to see any covers not used... there was one for a late '70s Spider-Woman that was meant to introduce the Black Cat which didn't happen at all. It had a cat-like shadow looming over her and I saw the figure used small size minus the shadow in a house ad once, but would really enjoy seeing the full over larger... of course the character later debuted in Amazing Spider-Man. I've seen (genuine) unused covers for Spider-Woman #1 and #13, I think the Cat shadow one might've been numbered #8.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 17 November 2023 at 11:23pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 1:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm not a huge fan of either Avengers cover.  I like the Chakyn cover, but its nowhere near as good as his cover for #1.  In comparing the two Chakyn covers, I think the unused cover for #2 lacks a focal point.  Maybe that's why they didn't use it.  

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hey Rebecca!  I recently bought the SPIDER-WOMAN MARVEL MASTERWORKS Vol. 2 hardcover (unusual for me, but I love Mark Gruenwald's run on SW!), and that Black Cat cover was in the back's special features!

Can't really call this a "rejected cover," as Marv Wolfman left the series and took Black Cat with him over to SPIDER-MAN, and it's weird that the cover was produced at all since the story didn't exist yet.  (Wasn't that a DC thing, to do covers before the stories?  I thought Marvel's covers came last.)

It's also weird that the "cat" silhouette looks more like an ermine or a weasel rather than a cat, but perhaps that's because it's all white.  It's probably for the best that plans were changed.

That's a great Spider-Woman pose though, and I believe it ended up being used for ads.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Here's the other cover Rebecca mentioned--SPIDER-WOMAN #13!  Nothing wrong really with the Infantino original cover, except for Spider-Woman's face looks weird...and Infantino always drew her quite lovely, so I have to blame the inker for that.  And who IS the inker anyhow?!  I can't tell.  It looks like a fine-line inker like Bob McLeod or Bob Layton, but not quite either of them.  Any guesses?

And here's the published cover, an awesome piece by the master Dave Cockrum and the afore-mentioned Bob McLeod--

Edited by Eric Jansen on 18 November 2023 at 8:10am

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Chaykin obviously really liked that costume design!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 2:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Here's the published cover by Al Milgrom (clearly an editor's idea based on function not beauty), followed by Golden's finished version.

Never has a comic's interior been most undersold by its cover! But I can see the perfunctory reason it was rejected. :(

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 4:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Unused cover for X-Factor 16 (which I think is a v. striking piece of work by David Mazzuchelli):

And the actual cover by Walt Simonson that ended up being used:

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Tough call, I'm a huge fan of both. 
Though I can see why they went with the latter.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thank you Eric! Great to see that again... attack of The Black (or White?) Weasel! :^)

It's filed in my memory bank with The Cat #5, and the Ms. Marvel #24 that was made but not published which would've been the second Sabretooth appearance (saw print in one of the 'Marvel Super-Heroes' giants).

I think the generic or static poster image style of covers used to be rejected in favor of something with action or a dramatic situation, now it's somewhat the reverse when so many copies never get opened anyway, so it's the poster-like cover buyers want now (and some are also available as a poster I think). I tend to like the less story specific poster covers myself... Whiz Comics #22, Superman #14... the granddaddies of pin-up covers!

I just remembered, there was an unused cover for Amazing Spider-Man #194, the comic which did introduce the Black Cat. I was totally ignorant of the old Harvey comics character and maybe they were trying to take the abandoned name ala Captain Marvel, but I thought she was a great foil for Spider-Man (well, from #204 on as I missed out on the very first appearance). Google 'amazing spider-man 194 unpublished cover'.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 18 November 2023 at 6:51pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Okay, here's the two versions of the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #194 cover!  The first by Al Milgrom, the original by--it looks like Keith Pollard and Bob McLeod?

Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version