Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Unused Covers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 11:04pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And here's the unpublished MS. MARVEL #24--a very nice piece by Dave Cockrum and Terry Austin--and the same story as finally published in MARVEL SUPER-HEROES #10--

Back to Top profile | search

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 November 2023 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Never seen the unseen Mazzucchelli X-Factor or Pollard Spider-Man covers before.  Both are great pieces.  I like them better than the published versions.  

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2023 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The inking of Infantino's Spider-Woman #13 reject is credited to Steve Leialoha on Comicartfans.

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2023 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Moon Knight #25 included a feature on three Bill Sienkiewicz covers that were rejected in favour of two by Frank Miller and one by Ron Wilson. They missed a trick by not having Miller do the cover for the issue guest starring Daredevil.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2023 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I still wonder why Cockrum only did two issues of his new redesigned Ms. Marvel... from a house ad it looked like he'd had other story ideas that never appeared, one with the dragonfly lady character that later surfaced in The Futurians. If there was some other gig that took him away from the title I'm not aware of it, but there could've been. I remember there was a Slurpee/Slushee type plastic cup with his art from one of his two issues I got (again wishing I still had something that I probably couldn't find again or at some crazy price).

Sometimes unused covers would appear as a bonus pin-up with and without explanation, or as covers on fanzines; it's kind of amazing there were still some that never appeared anywhere.
Back to Top profile | search | www

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2023 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Was there any difference in compensation between accepted submissions and those that were rejected?

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2023 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I really wish Cockrum had continued on MS. MARVEL.  A new(ish) series really needs a stable creative team to have any chance.  If Claremont & Cockrum had continued, the series might have lasted and we would have been spared the debacle that was AVENGERS #200, and I could have lived without things like Binary and at least 20 years of no one knowing what to do with the character.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 November 2023 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

That darn bike ad ruined more covers--!!

•••

Tell me about it! Imagine how thrilled I was to see a banner like that plastered across the cover of UNCANNY X-MEN 137!

One of the earlier indications that the marketing department was taking over.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2023 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That IS the worst example of the bike ad curse!  But I really would have liked to see this Sienkiewicz Moon Knight/Daredevil piece used too!

Instead of this one...

Which is not really bad for an emergency job, but that Sienkiewicz one should be in a gallery!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2023 at 1:32am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Here's Sienkiewicz's other rejected MOON KNIGHT covers, two fantastic pieces and their otherwise fine Frank Miller replacements, for issues 9 & 12--

I think the explanation was, for the first, that there had already been too many covers with MK going crazy, and, for the second, the editor wanted a close-up instead.  One would think that these things would be figured out first, unless Sienkiewicz really jumped the gun and did whatever he wanted without discussion (which I somehow doubt).

Edited by Eric Jansen on 21 November 2023 at 1:32am

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2023 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There must have been (and still must be!) some sort of company-wide guideline as to how to undertake cover designs. It would be silly and counterproductive to leave it up. to case-by-case editorial discretion.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2023 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm guessing that for Moon Knight #12 the figures were small and the scene lacking in 'Marvel' drama... as in an unusual angle or a tight close-up. Ideally the interior artist should do the cover to a comic is how I feel, but a good cover is a good cover even if not by the interior artist.

A cover not used must still be paid for I'm thinking, but I don't know if a cover is paid different than an interior page? I expect it probably does command a higher price when the original art is for sale, but I don't know the pay scale from the companies if it's the same per page rate...
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version