Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 32 Next >>
Topic: All Star Superman and the Problem of Late Books (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Newsarama has a preview of Grant Morrison's new Superman. I think it looks great, but budget means that I've got to wait for the trade.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/issue1_previe w.htm

(Thread title modification)

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 09 October 2005 at 8:23am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 2  

Looks like another art job where the colorist should
get 99% of the credit.

"Digital Inker"?

John McMahon
Byrne Robotics Member
Membership Revoked

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 3  

That looks fucking gorgeous - the Luthor dialogue is the business, it 'sounds' just like the chap from the cartoon mixed with the recent incarnation by Brian Azzarello in the Luthor mini-series.

Can't believe I'm gagging for a Superman book, Grant Morrison is the best writer in superhero comics right now - 7 Soldiers is kicking seven shades out of Crisis/HOM and this looks brill on toast.

"I'm getting older and - and he isn't"

Yes-bloody-please!

Edited by John McMahon on 30 September 2005 at 10:05am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 4  

If the book is going to be full of detail drawn with color, I'd rather the
colorist also "ink" in the blacks, too, if only to give a consistent feel.

That said, bring on the Grant Morrison Superman.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 5  

Calm down John M.. 

DC's version of the Ultimate Universe I guess.

I liked the coloring/art.  I enjoy seeing the Luthor of my childhood (mad scientist).

I'll check it out. if I can find a copy. Since i don;'t go on Wednesdays anymore, somehow I doubt I'll find a copy

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 30 September 2005 at 10:13am

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 6  

<<Looks like another art job where the colorist should
get 99% of the credit.

"Digital Inker"?>>

Sho'nuff.  And tho' I like Quitely, he's one of those guys who apparently can't do a monthly book.  Go figure.

I'm looking forward to reading Grant's Superman, at least for a few issues.  Not really sure what to expect - could be anything.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 7  

Honestly, I don't get Frank Quitely.  He's certainly competent, but his artwork is nothing extraordinary, and I don't understand why he can only do three or four issues of a "monthly" title a year (I recent put my New X-Men collection up on eBay because I own the hardcovers, and flipping through them, I got pissed off that even though Quitely was the "regular artist", most of the issues were drawn by Igor Korday, Phil Jimenez, or our very own Ethan Van Sciver).  I can understand why Alex Ross, Brian Bolland, George Perez et al would have problems holding down a monthly schedule, but Quitely?  There's not *that* much detail in his work.  Does he suffer from narcolepsy?  Was the hand he draws with replaced by a hook?  Is there any reason why he can't draw a monthly title?

That said, I'll definitely be picking this up.  Although I've kind of fallen out of comics, I'm a huge Morrison fan.  I heard him talking about his failed Superman pitch at the Chicago Comicon years ago and if even a few of those ideas make it into this book, it'll be something special.

EDIT to fix spelling of Korday's name. 

Edited by Gregg Allinson on 30 September 2005 at 10:29am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 8  

Is there any reason why he can't draw a monthly title?

Perhaps he doesn't want to?

Is the ASS ( heh) book listed as a monthly title?

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 9  

I don't know, Brian, but to the best of my recollection, New X-Men and The Authority were both (supposed to be) monthly.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm kinda on the fence about Quitely's art...his Superman (and also, his Clark Kent) gives off a "big ol' farm boy in overalls with one shoulder strap undone and dangling" vibe which just feels...wrong.  Maybe I'm spoiled, but I like my Superman to look impressive, and the big goof on Quitely's pages doesn't get that across.  He looks more like the hired hand who sleeps in the barn...none too bright in the head, but dang if'n that ol' boy cain't change th' tire on a tractor, yessir!  Oh, and, by the way, the redesign of the "S" was completely unnecessary (in my opinion, of course).

Because I have a tendency to buy all things Superman, and #1s, I'm doomed to pick up at least the first issue, but if I don't see a hell of a lot more than I'm expecting, I doubt I'll get #2-on (All-Star Batman with Robin the Boy Wonder -->whew, I'm outta breath< has already suffered that fate.  Miller's young Batman is the most dislikeable, disagreeable, unpleasant bastard I've ever encountered in a comic, and the book itself seems without a genuine purpose or legitimate reason to exist.  What a wasted opportunity to reach out to the underserved audiences once coveted by this industry.  I'm bitterly disappointed.  And I seem to have strayed considerably from my original train of thought - sorry.)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 11  

Oh, I didn't realize that you were referring to those books. I don't remember the details concerning THE AUTHORITY, but for NEW X-MEN, I remember them stating he would be in rotating arcs much like what Alan Davis was doing during his tenure on UNCANNY. To my knowledge, it didn't ship late, but you are right Quitely didn't do all the art on the monthly title. Personally, I give M***** kudos for realizing he either wouldn't or couldn't do a monthly and planned accordingly. I wish all books were done this way.

Bill Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 12  

Well, I hate to be  a wet blanket, but that preview was simply craptacular.  Was it a poster or a comic?  Art was fine, but I expect more than 10 words on a page.  I'll reserve my own final judgement until the issue comes out.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 13  

Michael, where's the f ? wrote:
I'm kinda on the fence about Quitely's art

I feel the same way. I really liked his AUTHORITY work and didn't care for his NEW X-MEN work. I loved EARTH-2 and don't much care for the ASS preview pages. And I hate how he draws everybody with puckered-up lips.

Edited by Brian Miller on 30 September 2005 at 10:56am

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 14  

How are they going to stretch it to twelve issues if they exceed ten words/page?

Eh, who am I kidding, I'll try it for an issue or two.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 15  

I liked it so far.

Sure, there weren't very many words on those pages, but a science vessel falling into the sun because Lex Luthor sabotaged it 8 minutes ago is a pretty cool way to start a Superman story.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 16  

There are parts of the dialogue that come across as very British to me:

"So if I want to die happy it's time to get serious about killing Supeman. Don't you think?"

Otherwise it looks pretty interesting.

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 17  

I'll pass on this one...

Quitely bores me to tears

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 18  

"So if I want to die happy it's time to get serious
about killing Supeman."

Which iteration of Lex is this, I wonder? Seems like
most of the previous versions have been pretty darn
"serious" about killing Superman.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 19  

The way comics are marketed today confuses me.  This looks like an okay comic book, but the build up and anticipation makes me expect a nose-breaking unforgettable comic.  If this were just the next issue of Superman, I'd say it was slightly promising and slightly off-putting.  As an "event" I'd say this looks altogether slight.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 20  

"Slight" is a good word to describe many of the "events" we have seen in recent years -- largely because of the insistence that such things be packagable as trade paperbacks, and therefore at least six issues -- usually meaning stretched out to six issues. (What about the double page spread in these showcase pages really warrants a double page spread, for instance.)

I was giving an interview the other day, talking about X-Men and Dark Phoenix, and the question was asked about why the Dark Phoenix Saga is as "important" as it is. I pointed out that the thing that set Dark Phoenix apart from most of the "events" that followed, is that our story was not planned to be an "event". The Dark Phoenix story grew naturally out of the flow of the book -- and, of course, the death of Phoenix was not planned at all. The story was not hyped as a big "event", because it was not hyped at all. But since then, everybody and his uncle has tried to duplicate the impact of Dark Phoenix, and if there is one great truth in comics -- and this is something I used to say before Chris and I did Dark Phoenix -- it is that if you set out to do an "important" story, you will almost always fail. (The death of Supergirl, for instance, had none of the impact of the death of Phoenix, even tho Supergirl was a much longer established character, from a much "bigger" mythos with, presumably, a much larger fan base. But the fact that it was deliberate and calculated muted the power of the story. Didn't damp it out completely, but even at there time there was a vague "bin there, dun that" feeling --- because it was a deliberate attempt to ride the same thunderhead that had generated Dark Phoenix. And that particular lightning could only strike once.)

The biggest problem with "events", of course, is that they implicitly state that the other books and stories are not so important.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 21  

To paraphrase Eric Lund, I, too, will pass on this one. Morrison bores me to
tears.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 22  

Chasing the "Death of Phoenix" feeling is kind of what being a fan turned pro is all about.  Replace "Death of Phoenix" with whatever "event" you want, it amounts to the same thing.

As a fan, there is a wrinkle to the "Death of Phoenix" event that I think gets overlooked.  In retrospect, I think a poisonous related event was that Frank Miller appeared to chase that feeling so successfully only a little while later with his "Death of Elektra" story.  Not that it contradicts any of the above points because it was an "event" that came from story and not from marketing.  But I think it gave fans-turned-pro the impression that such events could be manufactured since two really good ones happened practically back to back.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 23  

John McMahon wrote:
Can't believe I'm gagging for a Superman book, Grant Morrison is the best writer in superhero comics right now - 7 Soldiers is kicking seven shades out of Crisis/HOM and this looks brill on toast.

I know it's personal taste and all, but I'm not a fan of Morrison's work on mainstream superheroes at all.  It would be as big a stretch for me to agree with the above as it would to say with conviction that I think GHWB is the best President the US has seen in the last 20 years. I think 7 SOLDIERS is a convoluted mess, thought his work on DOOM PATROL was god-awful, only liked the first four issues of his stint on JLA before it became convoluted as well.  Hell, the only thing I've liked of his was ANIMAL MAN and that was over a decade ago. His name on a book, for me, is so far away from a selling point that it actually detracts me from picking it up.

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 24  

I really liked the preview.
The colors are gorgeous (and appropriate given the closeness to the sun), although that's not Quitely's fault.
I enjoyed the eight word recap of Superman's origin, and the explanation for why the heat of the sun won't hurt Superman.

I'm glad I pre-ordered this.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 25  

As I've stated in other posts I haven't read much of Morrison's work. I've read the WE3, New X-Men run, and I'm currently reading 7 Soldiers (The concept is nice but the execution, so far, has left a lot to be desired). However, I plan on buying the All Star Superman because of Frank Quitely's art. His style reminds me of Geof Darrow and I don't consider that a bad thing. Superman has never been one of my favorites but I'm willing to up my Superman reading to two a month. (Action of course being the other)

Note to John McMahon, it's very refreshing to see you are excited about some comics.

Page of 32 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version