Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 65 Next >>
Topic: All Star Superman and the Problem of Late Books (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Newsarama has a preview of Grant Morrison's new Superman.  I think it looks great, but budget means that I've got to wait for the trade.

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/issue1_previe w.htm

(Thread title modification)

Edited by JohnByrne2 on 09 October 2005 at 8:23am
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 2  

Looks like another art job where the colorist should
get 99% of the credit.

"Digital Inker"?

John McMahon
Byrne Robotics Member
Membership Revoked

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 3  

That looks fucking gorgeous - the Luthor dialogue is the business, it 'sounds' just like the chap from the cartoon mixed with the recent incarnation by Brian Azzarello in the Luthor mini-series.

Can't believe I'm gagging for a Superman book, Grant Morrison is the best writer in superhero comics right now - 7 Soldiers is kicking seven shades out of Crisis/HOM and this looks brill on toast.

"I'm getting older and - and he isn't"

Yes-bloody-please!

Edited by John McMahon on 30 September 2005 at 10:05am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:10am | IP Logged | 4  

If the book is going to be full of detail drawn with color, I'd rather the
colorist also "ink" in the blacks, too, if only to give a consistent feel.

That said, bring on the Grant Morrison Superman.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 5  

Calm down John M.. 

DC's version of the Ultimate Universe I guess.

I liked the coloring/art.  I enjoy seeing the Luthor of my childhood (mad scientist).

I'll check it out. if I can find a copy. Since i don;'t go on Wednesdays anymore, somehow I doubt I'll find a copy

Edited by Rob Hewitt on 30 September 2005 at 10:13am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leroy Douresseaux
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 6  

<<Looks like another art job where the colorist should
get 99% of the credit.

"Digital Inker"?>>

Sho'nuff.  And tho' I like Quitely, he's one of those guys who apparently can't do a monthly book.  Go figure.

I'm looking forward to reading Grant's Superman, at least for a few issues.  Not really sure what to expect - could be anything.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 7  

Honestly, I don't get Frank Quitely.  He's certainly competent, but his artwork is nothing extraordinary, and I don't understand why he can only do three or four issues of a "monthly" title a year (I recent put my New X-Men collection up on eBay because I own the hardcovers, and flipping through them, I got pissed off that even though Quitely was the "regular artist", most of the issues were drawn by Igor Korday, Phil Jimenez, or our very own Ethan Van Sciver).  I can understand why Alex Ross, Brian Bolland, George Perez et al would have problems holding down a monthly schedule, but Quitely?  There's not *that* much detail in his work.  Does he suffer from narcolepsy?  Was the hand he draws with replaced by a hook?  Is there any reason why he can't draw a monthly title?

That said, I'll definitely be picking this up.  Although I've kind of fallen out of comics, I'm a huge Morrison fan.  I heard him talking about his failed Superman pitch at the Chicago Comicon years ago and if even a few of those ideas make it into this book, it'll be something special.

EDIT to fix spelling of Korday's name. 

Edited by Gregg Allinson on 30 September 2005 at 10:29am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 8  

Is there any reason why he can't draw a monthly title?

Perhaps he doesn't want to?

Is the ASS ( heh) book listed as a monthly title?

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 9  

I don't know, Brian, but to the best of my recollection, New X-Men and The Authority were both (supposed to be) monthly.

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 10  

I'm kinda on the fence about Quitely's art...his Superman (and also, his Clark Kent) gives off a "big ol' farm boy in overalls with one shoulder strap undone and dangling" vibe which just feels...wrong.  Maybe I'm spoiled, but I like my Superman to look impressive, and the big goof on Quitely's pages doesn't get that across.  He looks more like the hired hand who sleeps in the barn...none too bright in the head, but dang if'n that ol' boy cain't change th' tire on a tractor, yessir!  Oh, and, by the way, the redesign of the "S" was completely unnecessary (in my opinion, of course).

Because I have a tendency to buy all things Superman, and #1s, I'm doomed to pick up at least the first issue, but if I don't see a hell of a lot more than I'm expecting, I doubt I'll get #2-on (All-Star Batman with Robin the Boy Wonder -->whew, I'm outta breath< has already suffered that fate.  Miller's young Batman is the most dislikeable, disagreeable, unpleasant bastard I've ever encountered in a comic, and the book itself seems without a genuine purpose or legitimate reason to exist.  What a wasted opportunity to reach out to the underserved audiences once coveted by this industry.  I'm bitterly disappointed.  And I seem to have strayed considerably from my original train of thought - sorry.)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 11  

Oh, I didn't realize that you were referring to those books. I don't remember the details concerning THE AUTHORITY, but for NEW X-MEN, I remember them stating he would be in rotating arcs much like what Alan Davis was doing during his tenure on UNCANNY. To my knowledge, it didn't ship late, but you are right Quitely didn't do all the art on the monthly title. Personally, I give M***** kudos for realizing he either wouldn't or couldn't do a monthly and planned accordingly. I wish all books were done this way.

Bill Lukash
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 12  

Well, I hate to be  a wet blanket, but that preview was simply craptacular.  Was it a poster or a comic?  Art was fine, but I expect more than 10 words on a page.  I'll reserve my own final judgement until the issue comes out.

Page of 65 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version