Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 65 Next >>
Topic: All Star Superman and the Problem of Late Books (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 1  

Michael, where's the f ? wrote:
I'm kinda on the fence about Quitely's art

I feel the same way. I really liked his AUTHORITY work and didn't care for his NEW X-MEN work. I loved EARTH-2 and don't much care for the ASS preview pages. And I hate how he draws everybody with puckered-up lips.

Edited by Brian Miller on 30 September 2005 at 10:56am
Back to Top profile | search

Jason Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 2  

How are they going to stretch it to twelve issues if they exceed ten words/page?

Eh, who am I kidding, I'll try it for an issue or two.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 3  

I liked it so far.

Sure, there weren't very many words on those pages, but a science vessel falling into the sun because Lex Luthor sabotaged it 8 minutes ago is a pretty cool way to start a Superman story.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 4  

There are parts of the dialogue that come across as very British to me:

"So if I want to die happy it's time to get serious about killing Supeman. Don't you think?"

Otherwise it looks pretty interesting.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 5  

I'll pass on this one...

Quitely bores me to tears

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 6  

"So if I want to die happy it's time to get serious
about killing Supeman."

Which iteration of Lex is this, I wonder? Seems like
most of the previous versions have been pretty darn
"serious" about killing Superman.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 7  

The way comics are marketed today confuses me.  This looks like an okay comic book, but the build up and anticipation makes me expect a nose-breaking unforgettable comic.  If this were just the next issue of Superman, I'd say it was slightly promising and slightly off-putting.  As an "event" I'd say this looks altogether slight.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 8  

"Slight" is a good word to describe many of the "events" we have seen in recent years -- largely because of the insistence that such things be packagable as trade paperbacks, and therefore at least six issues -- usually meaning stretched out to six issues. (What about the double page spread in these showcase pages really warrants a double page spread, for instance.)

I was giving an interview the other day, talking about X-Men and Dark Phoenix, and the question was asked about why the Dark Phoenix Saga is as "important" as it is. I pointed out that the thing that set Dark Phoenix apart from most of the "events" that followed, is that our story was not planned to be an "event". The Dark Phoenix story grew naturally out of the flow of the book -- and, of course, the death of Phoenix was not planned at all. The story was not hyped as a big "event", because it was not hyped at all. But since then, everybody and his uncle has tried to duplicate the impact of Dark Phoenix, and if there is one great truth in comics -- and this is something I used to say before Chris and I did Dark Phoenix -- it is that if you set out to do an "important" story, you will almost always fail. (The death of Supergirl, for instance, had none of the impact of the death of Phoenix, even tho Supergirl was a much longer established character, from a much "bigger" mythos with, presumably, a much larger fan base. But the fact that it was deliberate and calculated muted the power of the story. Didn't damp it out completely, but even at there time there was a vague "bin there, dun that" feeling --- because it was a deliberate attempt to ride the same thunderhead that had generated Dark Phoenix. And that particular lightning could only strike once.)

The biggest problem with "events", of course, is that they implicitly state that the other books and stories are not so important.

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 9  

To paraphrase Eric Lund, I, too, will pass on this one. Morrison bores me to
tears.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

Chasing the "Death of Phoenix" feeling is kind of what being a fan turned pro is all about.  Replace "Death of Phoenix" with whatever "event" you want, it amounts to the same thing.

As a fan, there is a wrinkle to the "Death of Phoenix" event that I think gets overlooked.  In retrospect, I think a poisonous related event was that Frank Miller appeared to chase that feeling so successfully only a little while later with his "Death of Elektra" story.  Not that it contradicts any of the above points because it was an "event" that came from story and not from marketing.  But I think it gave fans-turned-pro the impression that such events could be manufactured since two really good ones happened practically back to back.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

John McMahon wrote:
Can't believe I'm gagging for a Superman book, Grant Morrison is the best writer in superhero comics right now - 7 Soldiers is kicking seven shades out of Crisis/HOM and this looks brill on toast.

I know it's personal taste and all, but I'm not a fan of Morrison's work on mainstream superheroes at all.  It would be as big a stretch for me to agree with the above as it would to say with conviction that I think GHWB is the best President the US has seen in the last 20 years. I think 7 SOLDIERS is a convoluted mess, thought his work on DOOM PATROL was god-awful, only liked the first four issues of his stint on JLA before it became convoluted as well.  Hell, the only thing I've liked of his was ANIMAL MAN and that was over a decade ago. His name on a book, for me, is so far away from a selling point that it actually detracts me from picking it up.

Thomas Mets
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2005 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

I really liked the preview.
The colors are gorgeous (and appropriate given the closeness to the sun), although that's not Quitely's fault.
I enjoyed the eight word recap of Superman's origin, and the explanation for why the heat of the sun won't hurt Superman.

I'm glad I pre-ordered this.

<< Prev Page of 65 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version