Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: George Perez Has Cancer. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2021 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A strange thing happened after my father was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. People began to refer to him in the past tense...straight to his face! Or they would want to reminisce about events long gone by when all he really wanted was to spend time together. He understood that people were just trying to process their own grief, but it put him in the awkward position of having to try to comfort others. It wasn't long before that was too much of a drain on him and he withdrew to mainly just family.

George's own message indicates that he feels more keenly alive right now more than ever. I hope fans voice their gratitude with that in mind and celebrate the human that produced their favorite works more so than just the work itself.
Back to Top profile | search

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 December 2021 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Very Sad News. Pancreatic cancer is, unfortunately, one of the most difficult cancers to detect because it shows very few symptoms: "Although pancreatic cancer is relatively uncommon, it’s the fourth-leading cause of cancer death in the United States. The number of new cases has also been rising. The disease rarely causes symptoms in its early stages, so it’s usually diagnosed only after it has metastasized (spread) from the pancreas to other parts of the body."

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2021 at 12:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I lost a love to esophageal cancer in the early '00s. We/he knew it was very bad odds but continued on with the possibility that even with one in a million odds there might still be that one.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2021 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Jim,

Yeah, the "dead man walking" situation is really hard to handle.

My Mom was claimed by Ovarian Cancer back in 2013, and we knew that she didn't have much time left to live at the point that I flew down to Florida to say my last goodbyes -  she was completely lucid up until the end - it was just her body that was shutting down. It was so hard to process when I and my sisters got together to take one final photo with her, with everyone knowing that it would be our last. She actually apologized to me that she didn't die during my visit when it was time for me to fly back -  because it meant that I had to fly back down again for the funeral, which I did weeks later. I didn't know how to handle that apology.

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2022 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

GP had someone post to his FB page that he was recovering in the hospital from an infection and was expected home soon.  However, the CGC Signing event has been "postponed indefinitely".  Since George was very keen on doing these final events for his fans, this can't be a good sign for his immediate outlook.

How terrible.  Breaks my heart.

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2022 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just like everyone else, I was (and am) so very saddened by this news, as George is universally known as such a nice man, as well as a staggeringly talented artist.

I also fear for what he has ahead of him; I watched my father succumb to advanced lung cancer in 2019 and it was an absolute nightmare to witness (I can only imagine what it felt like to live it).

I've heard lung and pancreatic cancers are especially tough because by the time there are any symptoms, it's advanced (esophageal, too). And that's even with my father going to his doctor religiously, taking every test requested, etc., trying to potentially catch anything in its early stages. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2022 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Very sad. My thoughts are with him.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mark Waldman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2022 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

George is one of the greatest artists the medium has ever known and from all I've ever seen and heard, a wonderful person. When I drew for a Titans fan publication a lifetime ago, George (in the height of his Titans greatness) took the time to draw a cover for our humble little publication. What an artist, but even more, what a kind, generous man. My thoughts go out to him and his family. 

David Teller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 February 2022 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My mother died of pancreatic cancer. It wasn't too painful as she was on the strongest painkillers in the end... but from diagnosis to death was under 5 months. 

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2022 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I am grateful that George knows how much he is treasured by fans and pros alike.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2022 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

https://www.comicsbeat.com/jla-avengers-the-hero-initiative- limited-edition-tpb/

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 16 February 2022 at 2:12pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 February 2022 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Wish it were a larger print run... 7,000 copies is gonna go fast. (Then sellers will jack up the price!!)

Still, glad Pérez gets to see this opportunity for the fans who love him & his work!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version