Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.15--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Something brought up elsewhere: not sure what the age difference was before, but Jean is now around 3 years younger than Scott, right?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

She was about 17 when she joined, and Scott was around 18-19.
Back to Top profile | search

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Aletys Forrester?

Hmmm.. She and Magneto were an item for a hot second during Chris' X-MEN run, correct?

Come to think of it, Magneto may have had a quick moment with Rogue and according to our host, in the What-If? story, Magneto was with Storm.

Damn he  sure does get around.....

Edited by James Johnson on 30 September 2020 at 12:07pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

not sure what the age difference was before, but Jean is now around 3
years younger than Scott, right?

No. Her birth year didn’t change while she was underwater.

David Haight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hi Jonathan, I'm not sure if my comments on your question will be helpful or not, but since Mr. Byrne indicated he didn't have anything to add to it, I thought I'd share since I distinctly recall thinking about this way back when I first read this issue - i.e. when it first was published back in 1980.  

As a reminder, the page you were citing was from X-Men #138 during a flashback Scott was running through in his mind while standing over the grave of Jean.  The top two panels precede a panel that covers issues 32-38, because 39 is when they get their new costumes as depicted in the bottom panel of the page.  

I recall at the time finding the reprint versions of the Juggernaut story (originally presented in 32-33, reprinted in issues 80 and 81) in a used book store right around the same time these issues came out; this was before the first comic book direct market store opened in my area.  

Issue 32 has a sequence that mirrors pretty closely with the scene of Scott and Jean walking together, although obviously they were dressed differently, and the conversation they have doesn't entirely play out the same way, but I always interpreted this clip from 138 as like an add-on to that same scene from 32, because the next paragraph of text on the following panel clarifies that the two panels from 138 take place right before Professor X is kidnapped by Factor Three, which happens right at the end of that Juggernaut story in issue 33.

Yes, I know it was pretty anal of me even as a kid to look for these sorts of connections between new issues and older ones, but that was part of the fun of continuity back in those days, before the MCU (and most of the creators) stopped really caring about connections like this. 

Anyway, hope it helps clarify.  

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Oh, I get it. Yes, PHYSICALLY Jean did not age while in that pod, but, as noted, her birth year remains the same.

If she was (arbitrarily) 21 when podified, physically and mentally (life experience) she’s still 21.

David Haight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Here's that two page panel from X-Men 32 to compare....

David Haight
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Hmm..interesting.  I would've figured her as a total Claremont creation in hindsight.  Was "Samantha Forrester" supposed to be a potential love interest for Scott before you left, or was she supposed to be introduced in a completely different storyline?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It seems sensible/sane that Jean would want a leave of absence from the super-heroing. Best laid plans can have a habit of getting thrown for a loop though I suppose.

I never thought about that #138 scene having been planned for a present when Phoenix-Jean wasn't gone... I guess they'd have been reminiscing (and in a thinner panel border)? But then the lobotomy... it doesn't make sense because of that, Scott would be talking to a damaged Jean... although the splash for the initial #138 showed them in the woods with Jean kneeling down by a pond. If there's a scene back around #31-33 it's covered as being a flashback anyway.

Interesting that there was a possibility of a solo Miss Marvel being Jean! The Captain Marvel tie-in version worked well enough though (and blonde + Danvers was reminiscent of Supergirl). I always felt Jean Grey was a reluctant superheroine, activity mostly connected to being with Scott. Ms. Marvel started out as a somewhat overplayed Gerry Conway women's lib character like Power Girl at DC, I can't see Jean being as much like that.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Thanks for the answers as always, JB. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There was much floundering around at Marvel back then. Thirty- something male writers trying to be hep and a go-go and turn various female characters into feminist icons. There was even talk of spinning Sue Richards into her own series as a private detective!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 September 2020 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

..interesting. I would've figured her as a total Claremont creation in hindsight. Was "Samantha Forrester" supposed to be a potential love interest for Scott before you left, or was she supposed to be introduced in a completely different storyline?

•••

Yes.

<< Prev Page of 55 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version