Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Dave Cockrum Art Question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

JB wrote:
Roger Stern even went so far as to retcon one of the earliest Spider-Man stories so the Terrible Tinkerer was NOT in fact, an alien!

And Ditko once mentioned that in Stan's original synopsis for Spider-Man #14 the Green Goblin was an actual, mythological demon come to life.  Ditko felt that wasn't in keeping with the tone of the series and changed it.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A little outer space is good, especially near Earth as with Asteroid M, but a lot and I was wondering... "why the X-Men in particular?" The more a character goes into deep space the less earthy they feel, which is no problem for a Silver Surfer (ironically Earth bound most of the time)... they had the Hulk visit counter-Earth and a subatomic microverse in the '70s and it was an interesting diversion, but he has to come back among us to really function dramatically. Mutants among us needs an us to be among.

I don't think Killraven or Deathlok from the future worked well with the Marvel heroes, nor Howard The Duck or Captain Carrot, nor Dracula and famous company, but a character from the future created for the title, or Man Wolf and Morbius, seemed a better fit, and if someone had a stuffed animal of a comic character that could work too. I didn't buy Godzilla or Shogun Warriors to know how well they fit in, but Rom and The Micronauts seemed to work out for awhile (and they could tie in Micronauts with the FF's Psycho Man).

I see Nightcrawler as more fuzzy than furry, like a peach. The Beast would be furry (and probably go through a lot more shampoo).
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark McKay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

On the matter of "outer space", I'll have to offer a mea culpa too, as far as ELSEWHEN. Clearing up dangling plotlines has left me dealing a lot with the Shi-ar, and it ain't over.

If Elsewhen were really being published, maybe a Shiar: Aftermath limited series or one shot would take care of this?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Do you think Marvel would want TWO "alternate reality" series?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A little outer space is good, especially near Earth as with Asteroid M, but a lot and I was wondering... "why the X-Men in particular?"

••

When I was working with him, Chris was constantly inspired by whatever movie or TV show or book he saw/read last. (Can it be coincidence that Kitty became "Shadowcat" right after he read Heinlein's THE CAT WHO WALKED THROUGH WALLS*?) So he would bring into X-MEN any storyline that appealed to him, regardless of its "appropriateness" for the mutant theme. And Dave, of course, just loved drawing, and would happily draw anything he considered fun.

* Kitty's powers, of course, have nothing to do with shadows or cats. The name would actually work better for Nightcrawler!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB, was it Mr. Claremont then who was influenced by SHOGUN
in re Wolverine, Mariko, Japan, etc.?

(Kitty as Shadowcat was just a bit too on the nose.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB, was it Mr. Claremont then who was influenced by SHOGUN in re Wolverine, Mariko, Japan, etc.?

••

That began with both of us, tho Chris took it much further than I intended.

I wanted only to introduce a girlfriend for Wolverine who was diametrically opposed to anything the readers might imagine for him. Someone quiet and delicate.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 8:03am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Mr. Byrne, did you ever have any interest in the Futurians as a work of Dave Cockrum's? And would you have been interested in continuing it?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yes. No.

Not much more to say—except that the Futurians closely paralleled something I’d come up with in my fan days, which led Dave and me to wonder what common source had influenced both of us.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I purchased the Dave Cockrum Artifact Edition from IDW, and wanted to share a few images with you if you are on the fence about buying a copy. I highly recommend it.This is an Artifact Edition rather than an Artists Edition, meaning there are no complete issues. It is a shotgun approach of pages from various issues, but all within Cockrum's first run on the title.

I would like to share a few photos with you, but the file size is apparently too large to post here. Sorry.

Edited by Peter Hicks on 14 July 2020 at 3:32pm

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It's too bad Futurians didn't go to Epic, it would have had at least eight issues if it had I think, instead of three plus an unpublished fourth that did come out later (in two different formats). It was a good mix of characters. I do wish he'd not added in his earliest fan characters, there were three exceptionally straight superheroes and one Irish sage type Phantom Stranger sort of guy... it seemed too much/too many/distracting, and then we never got another story as it turned out. :^(

Alter Ego #163 recently had some great stuff on Dave Cockrum's work for and correspondence with ERB fanzines, lots of unseen and little seen art!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2020 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Peter, this blog has scans of the contents pages:

https://graphicpolicy.com/2020/06/25/preview-dave-cockrum-x- men-artifact-edition/

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version