Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I thought CIS covered "born that way"?
Back to Top profile | search

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
Trump is saying crap about statues of Jesus are going to be the next targets... that's how you get from some old stereotype pancake marketing character or a confederate 'icon' toppled to nothing to do with that I suppose. How many statues of 'Jesus' are there in the U.S. anyway outside church grounds... but then I suppose if reality mattered... well, he'd look middle eastern and not anything like a caucasian Robin Hood in the blue and pink baby blankets.

That's what they said when he predicted that Washington and Jefferson would be next after Confederate statues were toppled, and he was right. It's even spread to Francis Scott Key, Cervantes, abolitionists like Hans Christian Heg, the all black Civil War 54th Massachusetts Regiment, U.S. Grant, Churchill, Ghandi, and Abe Lincoln. Who would have thought anyone other than white supremacists would want to tear down the Emancipation Memorial?

Former New York Daily News columnist Shaun King (aka Talcum X) has already called for it. A Black Madonna has been defaced in the Netherlands, and a Virgin Mary statue was set on fire in Boston. Note that King said nothing about them being outside church grounds. St. John's Episcopal Church in DC was burned and defaced. Your last sentence seems to be setting the ground for the Law of Merited Impossibility: It'll never happen, and when it does, you'll deserve it.

Rebecca Jansen wrote:
No idea where things go from this kind of junk. I can't imagine how there is any legitimate other side to a statement like black lives matter. There should've just been a resounding yes.

As someone has posted, Black Lives Matter is a political organization with specific leftist goals. Their website lists them as bringing down capitalism and the nuclear family. One of its co-founders proudly confirmed: "We are trained Marxists." They don't even care about all Black lives, considered how their supporters shot and killed two unarmed Black teenagers in Seattle and an eight-year old Black girl in Atlanta.

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As for Cancel Culture: even committed leftists like Noam Chomsky signed an open letter to Harpers magazine saying it had gone too far.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Neil Lindholm wrote:
Yeah, I can see arguments for Trump over Clinton concerning policy and philosophy but corruption? Not even close.

I agree Trump's hands aren't clean.  But any acts of corruption he's been accused of as the President hadn't happened yet.  So in 2012 we would have been comparing Trump's conduct as a member of the private sector to the Clintons' history of political corruption and abuse of power. 

Not only was Clinton more corrupt (IMO), but the type of corruption she had engaged in was more relevant to the question of suitability to serve as POTUS 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Bill Clinton was a small time governor who did not manage to rise much above his origins. His wife came to the stage wrapped in what she clearly perceived as entitlements. (The Bob Dole effect--it was Her Turn.)

I won't go so far as to say I HATE Hillary Clinton, but I can see it from here.

That said, I would have voted for Harry Truman's mummified corpse over Trump. His pattern of malfeasance and incompetence was just too wide and obvious.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Jim Burdo & Rebecca Jansen,

I believe that when Trump mentioned statues of Jesus being targeted next, he was specifically referring to comments being made by Shaun King. 

King is the founder of the Real Justice PAC, a prominent civil rights activist, and vocal supporter of BLM (the political organization as well as the movement).

King has said "I think the statues of the white European they claim is Jesus should also come down.  They are a form of white supremacy.  Always have been.  In the Bible, when the family of Jesus wanted to hide, and blend in, guess where they went?  EGYPT!  Not Denmark.  Tear them down."  

Also: "All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down.  They are a gross form of white supremacy.  Created as tools of oppression.  Racist propaganda. They should all come down."

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In fairness to BLM (the organization), they kicked King out for various improprieties related to fundraising, so he does not represent them.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

QUOTE:
So in 2012 we would have been comparing Trump's conduct as a member of the private sector

So just:

- Discriminating against black rent applicants
- Using his charitable foundation to self-deal
- A history of not paying contractors and workers
- Establishing a fraudulent university
- Rumored Mafia ties

For the people that wanted a businessman in office because they thought America should be run like a business, I guess they got what they wanted.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

QUOTE:
Also: "All murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus, and his European mother, and their white friends should also come down.  They are a gross form of white supremacy.  Created as tools of oppression.  Racist propaganda. They should all come down."

I don't find this idea that radical.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It puzzles me that Black people continue to worship Jesus. The idea of Christianity was force fed to their ancestors when they were slaves, and their real history was being stripped away, but even a "Black Jesus" is still something alien to their heritage.

John Wickett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Whether King's view of Jesus has merit is a completely separate issue.  King is welcome to believe whatever he wants.  Jesus could be black, white, olive toned, or even a fictional character, as far as King is concerned.  

What doesn't have merit is the notion that people who share King's views can justifiably tear down statues that belong to other people with different views about Jesus.

If King was directing his remarks towards white churches and advocating that they taken down the statues themselves, I would have no problem with his remarks.  

But King was tweeting in support of protestors tearing down statues in the middle of the night, and suggesting those groups should begin targeting Christian churches.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 13 July 2020 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Christianity, thru its various cults, has caused more bad history than pretty much anything else. The Bible condones slavery, it encourages the killing of whatever isn’t “us”, it piles psychoses and neuroses on its adherents.

If every religion on Earth vanished overnight, it’s hard to imagine that the World would be any worse off—and it might be a whole lot better.

<< Prev Page of 24 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version