Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 52 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.10--Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Okay, so, I’ve decided to do this demon story, but be forewarned! In order to make the necessary elements fit—especially Kitty’s Xmas Eve adventure—I’m going to be playing a liiiiiiiiiiittle bit fast and loose with the timeline I’ve established thusfar in ELSEWHEN. Probably you won’t even notice, but I want to play fair.

This won’t be happening for three or four issues beyond where I am now (starting 14).

Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

JB, if playing fast and loose" with the timeline means more stories, please keep doing so!
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB,

I many ways, ELSEWHEN is making this pandemic a teeny bit more tolerable.

Thanks!!!!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"This won’t be happening for three or four issues beyond where I am now (starting 14)"

The fact that you are telling us Elsewhen is planning to be at least 18-20 issues is mind blowing.

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Great drawings John.

-D
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I love the new drawing!

Okay, long-winded ruminations time for me again... sorry but also thanks for putting up with it, like my thoughts really count in the grand scheme... but something to bounce your own off perhaps...

Lessee, Chris Claremont post-Byrne: The Judgement! I kept reading from #144 through to 193, then I tried #199 & 200, and then four issues around #206-209, and New Mutants up to #26 plus annuals... there were moments and stories that really did work. #151 & 152 with Kitty, Storm and Emma Frost wroked. The Starjammers plus Alien revisted story where they are going to go through the John Hurt thing was overly long but decent enough. #168 in a partial re-run of #143 focusing on Kitty and her finding Lockheed the dragon I thought worked pretty well (although I had to keep forgetting that earlier cutesy fairy tale thing with Lockheed... if it was ever explained how the made-up dragon in her story became real I missed that bit); I did think the 'real' alien Lockheed was very cool and had some mystery interest in his own right. There was a Morlocks story that also worked well, and then some Wolverine in Japan I don't recall so well, maybe it got mixed in with the Miller mini-series somewhat... a minor extension of what happened in that? Romita Jr. did not in my opinion bring much to the table after that, a lot of focus was on Rachel and her alternate timeline (on top of Magick and her alternate timeline) and when they seemed to have Wolverine pretty clearly kill her at the end of one story it was the last regular issue I bothered with.

There were two Art Adams annuals/specials that looked good but just seemed a bit like a rerun for annuals #3 & 5. Danielle Moonstar from New Mutants was damaged a bit by becoming a freaking Asgardian Valkyrie, bad idea to me, sorry. And there was a cutesy bit with goofy giants and a hit-you-over-the-head Martin Short Ed Grimley impersonation... which reminds me of something I hated about that whole Magik storyline to ake Illyana older in another alternate timeline thing... that S'ym character, a hit-you-over-the-head Cerebus 'tribute'. Just barf... hated every appearance of that.

I wonder if Steve Leialoha had input into the Spider-Woman comics he did with Claremont? I think those were genuinely awesome (minus one jokey Impossible Man issue anyway)! When he is in top form Chris Claremont is one of the best, but like Robert Heinlein got later one, given more control or lacking an artist or editor that cares enough... er, not so wonderful. I think he really needed an artist that wanted to contribute things that they wanted to do... full marks for him being open to that! If the artist was Dave Cockrum you sometimes got silly thrown-in things that (my opinion) didn't work long term, or even broke the suspension of disbelief. I can only think some of that was Cockrum because it didn't happen with other artists (unless you count Terry Austin having Popeye in a background). I guess I just don't like anything cute or self-referential if it intrudes, something in a background usually never does.

Jim Shooter did something cutesy once, having the Avengers have to take a city bus to get to Korvac. I thought that was a little too far and made the story such as it was (not a fave with me) seem cornier, and it might well have been intended as realism. The exposition thought balloon stuff can beome a parody of itself under any writer, but some of it, however unrealistic, is necessary... the every issue could be somebody's first issue factor in part.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Wonderful drawing. Definitely prefer the more Giger-esque version to the cyclopean Harryhausen-esque one.

It's weird, in my mind I kind of remember the N'garai as aliens -- probably because of the Giger influence -- rather than magical. False memory!

Darren Ashmore
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

WOW, just WOW.  Not enough that this 'series' is the best comic I've seen in many years but the prospect of at least 8 more issues to come is mindblowing. Thanks JB, we really are being spoilt.

Michael Genitempo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John, are you continuing the story just to keep us members sane during these trying times? LOL

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This is great - just to get the writer/artists' dedicated story - no editorial changes, no company push back, no ties to another comics storyline. It must really feel liberating to do the stories that is 100% you. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2020 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That demons picture is awesome! It's fun to see you interpret Cockrum's version, and to see you revisit your own.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 May 2020 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Googling, it seems my N’Garai demon has completely usurped Dave’s. Looking thru dozens of interpretations by other artists I didn’t see any that extrapolated from his cyclopean version. Which makes me a little sad, actually.

<< Prev Page of 52 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version