Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Superman Unmasked! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As Greg Rucka said in a 2014 interview:

Denny was fond of saying "We don't ask why the Batmobile doesn't get caught in traffic." That is apparently the corollary to the Archie Goodwin saying about how the entire DC Universe is an inverted pyramid built on a secret identity that's a pair of glasses. If you want to tear it apart, you can do so with ease. You're not nearly as clever or smart as you think you are if you decide to go and nitpick it and tear it down, because there are loose threads everywhere. All that proves is that you're a killjoy. If you want to take it apart, it's very easy to do, but that's not the point. You either accept the world you're in or you don't. If you do, you're going to have a blast. If you don't, you better find something else to read, because you're going to be very unhappy.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 5:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think this is another example of what's plaguing both Marvel and DC these days.  When the editors get together for their "fabled" big planning sessions, they have to say something new!  "What if Thor were a woman?"  "What if Peter Parker became a tech millionaire?"  "What if Batman had a kid?"  "What if Superman had a kid?"  "What if Superman got married?"  "What if Superman and Lois weren't married?"  "What if Superman walked across the country for a year?"  "What if Superman's Fortress of Solitude was in the Amazon Rain Forest?"  Unfortunately, Superman is a big target for such "big thinking."  I bet nobody at those planning sessions ever says "What if we just told the best Batman and Superman stories we can?"

That's what Denny O'Neil and Neal Adams did with Batman so many years ago.  They didn't set out to rock fandom with wild changes, they wanted to get back to the core of the character and do the best Batman stories they could.

Next up: "What if Alfred died?"

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It occurs to me that - as Mr. Byrne has noted - there are stories that are about the characters, and stories that are writer's stories using the character. That is, "This is a Superman story" and "This is a BMB story in Superman."

It occurs to me that there are two types of stories one can tell with a character; stories that have the character in them, and stories actually about the character and his basics.

I'll take Spider-Man as an example. There are stories with Spider-Man fighting some villain or stopping some disaster. Then there are stories that actually change the character himself; his parents were spies. Aunt May died. Mary Jane has always known Peter is Spider-Man. Peter didn't get his powers accidentally from a radioactively charged spider, but from a long predicted destiny (and Lord Chaos and Master Order, I'm lookin' at you two too!) Spider-Man is Iron Man's apprentice and runs a company.

To me, it's like cars. The basic remains for a while - four wheels, two or four doors, I.C. engine that runs on gasoline, etc. Then, instead of coming up with modifications to that model, the model itself changed. Five doors, diesel or electrically powered, engine in the rear instead of the front, three wheels only, etc. Some good ideas, some horrid ideas.

Changes about and around the character are what comic books are about. Changing the basic model... that's kinda chancy.

This occurred to me as a problem with the Charlie's Angels and recent Bond movies. They weren't just stories with the characters in them - they are actually stories ABOUT the characters. That can work in comics - I'm thinking of Deadman or the New Teen Titans - but you have to have a master writer who can blend the two seamlessly.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There was a time (long ago) when comic books had room in their library for stories like this... Superman marrying Lois, Superman's secret identity being revealed, Batman marrying Batwoman, etc. etc., but these were "imaginary" stories.  No one thought it would be an even remotely good idea to cement them into continuity.

Marc

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Once upon a time, the question “What if...?” was followed by “But then what?”

I don’t think that happens much any more.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Up next: Bruce Wayne decides to give all his money away and fights crime from a homeless shelter!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

How are Green Arrow’s finances these days?

Brian Tait
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They used to have a whole series about "What If?" and they were able to tell them in single issue stories.
Now it's a two year story arc with specials and cross overs to tell essentially the same story.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

That's Bendis' speciality, though. He can take a story that could be done in two issues and milk it for a lot longer.

Heaven help us if Bendis and Claremont ever team up on a project. (And if they already have, I don't want to know.)

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Heaven help us if Bendis and Claremont ever team up on a project. (And if they already have, I don't want to know.)

At least Claremont's gives you lots of action with his dialogue and caption heavy stories and you actually get your money's worth from a single issue of a Clarenont story, even if it is part of a multipart story. A single issue of a Bendis comic, OTOH, will just have the characters standing around talking and repeating each others dialogue.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I find Bendis to be almost unreadable. He has no ear for dialog or a sense of structure or flow. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2019 at 11:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Irony -- apparently Greg Rucka and Bendis are good friends.

Their writing styles have NOTHING in common.

Put Rucka in charge of the Superman titles and I'll be a happy boy. He'll find a way to undo Bendis's damage -- or at least he has the ability to do so.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version