Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Join the X-Men! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2019 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That’s where I quit too, Peter. I did come back when Jim Lee started penciling, tho. 
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2019 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was thinking of a mutant code-named Chop, who can take an amazingly large stack of paper and cut it in half with a paper-cutter.

Well, that's my real-life mutant power, anyway. Honest!

As for Claremont, his X-Men has highs and lows, but I've never been able to read anyone else's for very long.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2019 at 10:17pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My mutant power is that my right hand is usually colder than my left. (For the record, I'm left-handed.)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2019 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I did come back when Jim Lee started penciling, tho. 
------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------
So did I, very briefly! Then they split the team in two and I quit again.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2019 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The ongoing perversity of the title held my attention through the slow spots. That Kulan Gath story was seriously messed up, involving torture, bizarre physical mutations, and the like. I spent a good deal of my tenure as an X-Men reader unable to believe they were getting away with this stuff. Unfortunately, the characters were becoming increasingly more shrill and one-note, as everyone's power was a song within them, everyone's heart was that of a warrior born (except the guys, who secretly wanted to be housewives,) and every battle was one with no quarter asked and none given. The more I read these Claremontisms, over and over again, the less I could stand them. Keeping up with the team was no longer my heart's desire. When Ororo pwn'ed Scott, I held on for two more issues, actively disliking the book, and then with #204, I came to the bizarre, left-field conclusion that I could just NOT buy the thing for the first time in five years. No one would call me out on it. No one was coming by to inspect my collection to make sure that I had them all. I could... buy something else instead... I had found freedom, and in freedom, power. And that power was a song within me.

I did pick up the occasional issue after that. I was vaguely fascinated by Silvestri's looser, more newspaper-strip style, and bought a couple of those. The team berating and sneering at helpless, hapless Havok for not being a true warrior born; for not having earned his place beside this team of blood-bonded warriors and being a "boy" with much to prove, set my teeth on edge. Seriously, when you've been created by Neal Adams and served during the arguably most creative era in the team's history, you shouldn't have to take guff from the British side character in pink with the diaphanous flowing sleeves for how tough you are. The X-Men under Claremont often climbed ALL the way up their own asses. 

I revisited again during the Jim Lee period, buying a few back issues to catch up. Again, the art was interesting. Never was a second-or-third generation artist more obvious in taking from his inspirations. Issue #274, you're reading the story of Forge being tortured in a Barry Windsor-Smith from Weapon X basement, turn the page, and bam! You're in Arthur Adams' Savage Land with that cute, romantic couple Rogue and Magneto! Again, stuck around for a few issues, but the weirdness of the Shadow King turning people into his "hounds" (how does turning human beings into dogs get to become a cliche?) finally ended that renaissance. Since then, the gaps between issues have been years in length.

Steven, I like your paper-cutting mutant, Chop. Perhaps he can work with the mutant master of vibration and edge-alignment, Jog. There could be an entire team made up of Stitch, Fold, Gripper, Offset, and should we pursue the adult market, Stripper and Trim. We'll call the book, "The Bindery..."

David Schmidt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wow! I love reading you Brian.

And you're right. At one point (perhaps between Uncanny X-Men 200 and 210), the  X-Men weren't heroes anymore but soldiers (with that weird line: "We're X-Men, we endure") and they lost something in the process.

Before that they were teenagers or young adults who fought evil mutants to protect a world that hated them and then they were warriors fighting just everybody (even themselves when a Marauder took control of Polaris...).

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I kept going with the title, but after X-Men # 175 it did seem there was a big shift in the style and tone of the stories. And to be honest, it was the JR, Jr., Marc Silvestri and Jim Lee art that kept me on the title longer than I would give it nowadays.

It was under less than ideal circumstances that Chris Claremont was let go from a book he clearly loved although looking back maybe he did need a sabbatical. What we got after being so corporate, editorial and crossover driven was not an improvement.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 9:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I quit around the time Brian H. did, and I noticed something else that I hated. It seemed that the X-Men stories stopped being about super heroes on missions and more about a group of mutants who were constantly defending themselves from attack and assault. It's so long ago, so I don't remember many, "Sauron is attacking the museum! Let's go, X-Men" as much as "This-or-that group is attacking us! We have to defend ourselves!"

And Young Paranoid Superheroes (r) doesn't hold much interest for me.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Exactly, Eric! I remember discussing back in the late '80s how if I were to write the X-Men I would try to turn them back into super-heroes. The same for Daredevil, who was great with the ninjas and noir under Frank Miller, but was just lost when others tried to do it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

David, thank you, sir. I appreciate that. 

Eric and Steven, I agree. In time, the X-Men became all about the X-Men. Not the adventures they undertook. Not the missions. Not Professor Xavier's Dream. It was just the X-Men reacting to attacks from foes of the X-Men or X-Men going to conferences about the X-Men or X-Men playing baseball with X-Men when the home of the X-Men is suddenly destroyed by X-Men hating robots... Maybe the X-Men would meet a group of mutants and invite them to join the X-Men, but the proud members of the mutant sub-community that were not X-Men would tell the X-Men that not to be an X-Man could still be a proud thing, not that the X-Men believed them, since they knew that being an X-Man was a burden and an honor like no other... 

At a certain point, a Superman story is about a bank about to be robbed or an asteroid that needs to be deflected. Batman, however inbred it becomes, is still somehow about Gotham and crime and dealing with loss... The X-Men, however, became all-but-entirely about the X-Men.

Edited by Brian Hague on 08 February 2019 at 11:02pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 11:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Excellent point, Brian. Essentially, the X-Men went from proactive characters (seeking out new mutants and trying to build better relations between mutants and humans) to reactive characters (fending off direct threats to them).

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2019 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Greg, that was Eric's point. I was just agreeing with him.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version