Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Join the X-Men! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2019 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

D’oh! My tired eyes somehow skipped over Eric’s post! Credit where credit is due!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Back in 1991 Marvel fired Chris Claremont to go with Jim Lee's vision for the X-Men then he left eight issues later and Marvel just used writer of the month to rehash Claremont's stories badly ever since.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB was on both the X-Men titles for a few months after Claremont. 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

JB was on both the X-Men titles for a few months after Claremont.

••

And what a nightmare THAT was!!!

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Jim Lee stayed until issue 11 as plotter/penciller, and then Fabian Nicieza wrote issues 12-45. 

There was a bit of stability.

Edited by Greg McPhee on 11 February 2019 at 9:51am

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 9:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Chris Claremont has said in interviews that knowing how things turned out with the Image exodus, he wonders if he'd played along with Bob Harris that he might have been a very valuable asset to Marvel after they all jumped ship.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Chris is perhaps misremember. Marvel has a long history of discouraging the talent from thinking themselves important. The characters are important. The keyboard tappers and pencil pushers are... fungible.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Chris is perhaps misremember. Marvel has a long history of discouraging the talent from thinking themselves important. The characters are important. The keyboard tappers and pencil pushers are... fungible.

=========================================================

True. And, perhaps, after 16 years and loyalty to Marvel, he did believe they should repay that. A sadly naïve view that I can understand why he took.

You only have to look back at what happened with Roger Stern on The Avengers to see this.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It certainly seems that loyalty is no longer a useful character trait.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 February 2019 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I recall that one of the first storylines to appear post-Claremont involved Forge proposing marriage to Storm. She asks for some time to think about it, and he, over the course of the issue, angrily comes to the decision that she will never place him above her leadership of the X-Men, and leaves in a huff, yelling at her on his way out. She then crumbles to her knees in tears and says, in a small voice, "I was going to say 'yes.'" 

I could tell that the books were going to be random globs of soap opera from then on. Lee, Nicieza, whoever it was who wrote that, had no idea who these characters were.

(Looking it up, it turned out to be Scott Lobdell, from whom I have never read a decent, well-written thing. One of those writers the credits serve to keep the reader from wasting money upon.)

Edited by Brian Hague on 11 February 2019 at 6:07pm

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2019 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Neither Scott Lobdell, who was writing Uncanny X-Men, nor Fabian Nicieza, who wrote X-Men, understood the characters. At times I was convinced that they hadn't even read an X-Men comic prior to writing one. 

I think the real problem of that era was Bob Harras. He seemed hell-bent on running Claremont off, and then once Claremont was gone, he himself had no plan or vision for the books. And in my opinion, he didn't seem to place much importance on hiring qualified writers with vision, either.

My new, mutant character would be called "Clod". Clod would have the ability to control the soil. Dirt, rocks, clay, mud, etc. 

Since he'd be a student at the school, I think it would be a lot of fun to watch Clod slowly learn how to use this power. Perhaps initially the manifestation would only be some very crude effect. His ability would feel like a curse, because when he was stressed, he'd inadvertently cause tremors and sinkholes to appear. He'd have no control over this, becuase he wouldn't even understand what he was doing. But over time, under Professor Xavier's tutelage, and a fair amount of study of geology and pedology, he'd learn stuff. We'd get to watch him try and fail, and occasionally learn something new and succeed.

When the New Mutants book first came out, I thought Claremont did a pretty good job of giving the students limitations to their powers that they had to struggle with. Sam couldn't steer, Bobby was strong but not invulnerable, and since he was solar charged, had a finite limit to the amount of energy he could expend. Dani's power was very unreliable. He lost track of it himself, and later writers didn't even bother, but I thought for a book that was in a school setting, it was a good story idea to give them something to aspire to and watch them learn. Rather than have Clod be just like the New Teen Titans' Terra, I'd rather watch the character learn very slowly and stay away from the fancy effects.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2019 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Fabian Nicieza is on record as saying that the 3 years he was on the X-Men was not the happiest time of his writing career due to editorial and corporate dictating more often than not what he should do. Lobdell seemed to play along, but Nicieza was eventually fired for not.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version