Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: fixing continuity Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2019 at 10:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I remember a few years back when Jonathan Hickman said in an interview that he understood that his comic stories were dense but cited Wikipedia as a reason readers shouldn't complain about doing homework to catch up on his stories.

IMO, Hickman has written some of the worse superhero comics that I have ever read. He embodies all of the bad qualities of a fan turned pro. His stories were not new reader friendly,he literally turned the Avengers into a carbon copy of the Legion of Superheroes and the JLA,he revealed what Doctor Doom's face looked like,he never explains what the powers of the characters (especially the powers of new characters that he co-created and introduced) are,most of his Marvel stories were basically a retelling of older DC stories,and his stories were long and padded with very little action.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2019 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I remember a few years back when Jonathan Hickman said in an interview that he understood that his comic stories were dense but cited Wikipedia as a reason readers shouldn't complain about doing homework to catch up on his stories.

IMO, Hickman has written some of the worse superhero comics that I have ever read. He embodies all of the bad qualities of a fan turned pro. His stories were not new reader friendly,he literally turned the Avengers into a carbon copy of the Legion of Superheroes and the JLA,he revealed what Doctor Doom's face looked like,he never explains what the powers of the characters (especially the powers of new characters that he co-created and introduced) are,most of his Marvel stories were basically a retelling of older DC stories,and his stories were long and padded with very little action.

========================================================

Too many writers can't write action now. They want to show that they can write dialogue, but fail to understand that comics need to move and keep moving. If I see 4 pages of 9 panels of talking heads, the writer is doing something wrong.

Mike W. Barr gave an interview where he spoke about his approach to writing, and he said that dependent on the artist or how he wanted the story to flow, he would either go full script or Marvel method, yet, the reader should never be able to see the difference between the two methods if he was doing his job properly.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2019 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Another way in which comics have turned a corner they aren't coming back from was underscored for me yesterday in conversation with a modern comics fan. I enjoy talking with the guy, but our tastes are not the same. When describing Batman as one of his favorite characters, he agreed with me that the mysterious, frightening effect of his disguise is lost if everyone can see that its just a guy in kevlar, he went further and said there is nothing of the detective left in Batman, since all he has to do now is tie in with his computer systems to accomplish just about anything he needs to do or access information. He doesn't have to know anything, he just has to be able to look it up, which is something of a commentary on society in general, I believe.

The moment when I realized we were clearly discussing two entirely different characters, however, came when he said that what he really loves best about the character is that he doesn't have to kill you if you're a bad guy, and then demonstrated what he meant by smiling and putting his thumbs in position to push them through my eyes.

Batman, you see, will push a criminals eyeballs in. He will blind someone he doesn't like. Or spiral fracture their leg. And then come back and do it again the next night. Over and over. He will break you and scar you and hurt you until he feels justice has been done. And that's what is good about Batman.

No amount of continuity repair is ever going to fix that.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2019 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

He doesn't have to know anything, he just has to be able to look it up, which is something of a commentary on society in general, I believe.
+++++++

I’ve been joking—or maybe not joking—for years that if an EMP wiped out our technological infrastructure, people wouldn’t be able to Google “how to start a fire”, and humanity would be doomed.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2019 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Batman, you see, will push a criminals eyeballs in. He will blind someone he doesn't like. Or spiral fracture their leg. And then come back and do it again the next night. Over and over. He will break you and scar you and hurt you until he feels justice has been done. And that's what is good about Batman.

No amount of continuity repair is ever going to fix that.
+++++++++

I have great affection for Frank Miller and THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, but it must be said that the long-term damage that book did to Batman is staggering. Not that it’s the book’s fault, per se, but rather the effect the book had on so many people who didn’t get it. People who tried again and again to hitch their wagons to its depiction of Batman as ruthless and sadistic. 

The military pouches on the utility belt, the batarangs-as-shurikens, the Batmobile-as-tank, Batman crippling people, etc., etc. These are all elements which worked well in context, but have had a very long shadow over the character which they really shouldn’t have.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2019 at 12:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Agreed. But I feel the overall tenor of comic fiction has turned vicious and ugly as well. Back in the day, "comic-book violence" was the type in which no one got hurt, supposedly, and that was a bad thing. It hurt the type of story which could be told, critics said, and made the characters lame and unbelievable. 

Now that we have unlimited, wall-to-wall violence coming out of our ears, the stories have never felt more limited and one-note. Even if it isn't every character, it's off-putting to have Squirrel Girl in the same panel with someone who hangs out with Venom or Ares, vicious, slavering murderers who just happen to be killing the "right" people this month. Next month, who knows? The world of comics is now an ugly, mean-spirited, petty little back alley and that isn't just Gotham. 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2019 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Greg Kirkman wrote: "I’ve been joking—or maybe not joking—for years that if an EMP wiped out our technological infrastructure, people wouldn’t be able to Google “how to start a fire”, and humanity would be doomed."

Two starship captains, eighty some odd years apart from one another,  each beamed down against his will to face off with the alien captain of another vessel. Communication between the opponents is limited. The terrain is unfamiliar and potentially hazardous. On one world, the danger is from the carnivorous, reptilian alien captain. On the other, it is from an invisible carnivorous, reptilian creature. 

The first captain is able to save himself by devising a diamond-firing cannon from the surrounding mineral deposits and limited plant life. The second would literally have frozen to death overnight due to his inability to start a simple campfire. 

Seriously, how is "Kirk vs. Picard" even a thing? :-)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2019 at 12:54am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The world of comics is now an ugly, mean-spirited, petty little back alley and that isn't just Gotham. 
++++++++

Absolutely.

One of the great joys of comics was that the people making them had a sense of decency and good taste (and the CCA keeping them in line, from time to time). The books were FUN, and didn’t (usually) cross the boundaries of appropriateness for an all-ages audience. Now, decency and good taste no longer seem to be major considerations. Anything goes. 

Let’s not kid ourselves. The fundamental construct of the superhero archetype (beginning, of course, with Superman himself) serves the exact same purpose as mythology and fairytales: to impart basic morals and values to kids via an exciting and colorful fantasy package.

Now, comics are too often used as a tool for creeps and pervs to get their sick thrills by depicting things like sadistic torture and rape. Storytelling goes by the wayside in favor of one-dimensional exploitation, shock-value stunts, and graphic depictions of gore and horror.

Having a beloved, once-all-ages comic character like Dick (sorry—“Ric”) Grayson say “F*** Batman!” and stab a guy in the crotch with scissors in the TITANS streaming show illuminates just how wrong things have gone. Bad enough to see that sort of stuff in the comics themselves, but to have it bleed over (Ha!) into live-action adaptations underscores just how inappropriate it is.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2019 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The first captain is able to save himself by devising a diamond-firing cannon from the surrounding mineral deposits and limited plant life. The second would literally have frozen to death overnight due to his inability to start a simple campfire. 

Seriously, how is "Kirk vs. Picard" even a thing? :-)
+++++++++

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 January 2019 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

“Kirk vs Picard” is KEWL. A way of the johnny-come-lately who came aboard with NextGen to claim superiority.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2019 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Dark Knight Returns* was a classic, and an exciting examination of a possible future. Maybe if it had been labeled as an ELSEWORLDS, it might have avoided being the target that it seems that every writer now advances Batman towards, and it almost seems a race; "I can make Batman into 'The Dark Knight' in just two years!"

I see the Dark Knight as someone that Batman and Robin would have gone after - not to aspire to. Strip the bat from the Dark Knight and you have an old, bitter, revenge and rage based villain. He mutilates his foes; he is overbearing; he uses deadly weapons in his fight; he seems to have no sense of perspective of criminals, and would shuriken a jaywalker as soon as an arsonist.

And as noted, this cannot be fixed. Even if DC Comics were to start Batman over completely - as in, going back to the performance of Zorro - some writer or two would not only not come up with something new, but would see it as a clear path to recreate Batman even closer to the Dark Knight.

*I will not speak to the sequels. There are some things decent men just do not speak of. Yes, I hated them; they seemed to lack the solid story that TDKR had to build on.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 28 January 2019 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric — I just want to be sure you understand that “Zorro” was not part of Batman’s beginnings until Miller put it there.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version