Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Who’d You Like To See Get Married? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

In issue #200 of the Superman Family title, we took a look into a possible future for the characters. Lois and Clark were married with a teenage daughter. Supergirl was a grown woman and the governor of Florida. In the brief scene with her at home, we see her romantic interest in shadow. He says he's planning on attending Lois and Clark's anniversary party and his profile matches Dick Grayson who does show up there. 

Of course, the shadowy fellow could be anyone from Dick Malverne to Jerro, the Mer-Boy, but neither of them were at the party...

I feel Dick and Donna are friends and that he and Helena over on Earth-2 share a brother/sister relationship. I could see him with Barbara Gordon, but deep down, I've long wanted to see that thing between him and Supergirl pay off somehow. :-)

Part of me perversely wants to see Tony Stark marry Whitney Frost a.k.a. Madame Masque ("Married to the Mob!") or have Steve Rogers wake up to find himself married to Madame Hydra, while Diamondback furiously tries to kill them both over it. Both marriages would only last as long as the storyline held out, but it could make for a fun, bumpy ride. If were we to marry Thor off to Lorelei at the same time, the Avengers could become a "breakin' up that old gang of mine" style book as the wives frown upon the riff-raff their husbands run around with and encourage them to form their own teams.

All of that represents a very archaic view of marriage in the popular culture, but I think it could still be fun, especially backtracking how Steve wound up in his particular predicament. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

She Hulk should have married JB in her book. (Hey he did appear in it, if I recall correctly...)

Seriously though there aren't many characters that I feel that should be married outside of Reed & Sue, and Lois & Clark. Those are the big loves to me. The only other I would consider would be Bruce Banner and Betty Ross. But that one's always difficult to imagine if the Hulk's still around. Would probably only really work as an imaginary ending where Bruce cured himself.

I mean apologies to those who like the Spider-Man MJ marriage, but I was never a fan of it. (Even though I do like MJ in the books.) I just prefer a Spidey who can have different romantic entanglements.

I guess there's some old fashioned part of me that sees marriage as something that characters do after their superhero days. Like the next big adventure in their lives, that has nothing to do with fighting crimes and the like. Where they get to live (and love) happily ever after..

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 3:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Mario, thanks for clearing up my error. Robbie, apologies if I gave you. Heart attack

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

She Hulk should have married JB in her book. (Hey he did appear in it, if I recall correctly...)

I wonder if they had gotten married if it would've stopped her from doing what she did to him in issue 50 <choke>. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The only characters I ever really wanted to see married are Captain America and Sharon Carter.  Ed Brubaker wrote a scene where Cap's future flashed in his mind, and it showed an older Steve at an older Sharon's deathbed, with their two grown sons there too, and it just felt right--of course that may be because I had already had a dream (or daydream) about that myself!

I don't want all the iconic characters to age, marry, have children, etc., but Cap has always seemed like a married man to begin with.  He hasn't had a lot of (non-Sharon) romantic plotlines, and the few he's had weren't that great.  It feels like a corporate decision to keep him "single and available" because that's what we expect from franchise characters.  Cap is my favorite character but I have to admit that "the private life of Steve Rogers" has mostly been dull.  (Is he a cop?  A comic book artist?  An old man who sits in a chair and looks stern?)  There's a lot of great potential for the right married couple and for a good man raising two children.

I'd much rather see Cap married than Peter Parker.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 15 August 2018 at 8:24pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The question of who is the 'right' character for another to end up with often feels like it depends on when you jumped on board. There are exceptions, of course: Superman and Lois and Reed and Sue are relationships that have been pretty much unchanging. But Peter Parker and Gwen/MJ/Black Cat (or even Liz Allen or Betty Brant) sort of depends on your personal vintage. Ditto Bruce Wayne and Vicki Vale/Silver St Cloud/Talia. The films tell me that Pepper Potts is Tony's true love, but from the comics I remember, she was married to Happy Hogan and Tony's missus was Bethany Cabe. Or Madam Masque.

It was probably only a brief thing, but from my own personal golden comics years, Cap's lady-friend was Bernie Rosenthal. 

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 12:04am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Mr. Fantastic <--- yes ---> Invisible Woman
Vision <--- yes ---> Scarlet Witch
Hawkeye <--- no ---> Mockingbird
Ka-Zar <--- yes ---> Shanna the She-Devil
Superman <--- no ---> Lois Lane
Elongated Man <--- yes ---> Sue Dibny
the Thing <--- no ---> Alicia Masters
Henry Pym <--- yes ---> the Wasp
T'Challa <--- no ---> Storm
Spider-Man <--- no ---> Mary Jane Watson
Black Bolt <--- yes ---> Medusa
Veronica Lodge <--- no ---> Archie Andrews <---no---> Betty Cooper
Hulk <--- no ---> Betty Ross
Batman <--- no ---> Catwoman
Cyclops <--- yes ---> Jean Grey
Doctor Octopus <--- no ---> May Parker
Luke Cage <--- yes ---> Jessica Jones
Green Arrow <--- yes ---> Black Canary
Hawkman <--- yes ---> Hawkwoman

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Marriage is almost always a mistake, mostly because so many writers seem to think the automatic next step is a baby, which complicates matters almost beyond measure.

Marriage also takes the romance out of stories. The will they/won't they element is very important, and, again, too many writers fail to realize it should be left alone.

And, yes, I know I have stumbled on this path myself.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Another thread asked us what's the ideal age of a comicbook reader. Most said comics should be all ages, and I don't disagree. But I actually chose an age: 12 years old. I think that if comicbooks were made primarily (not exclusively) in mind for a 12 year old reader, then characters marrying wouldn't ever be an issue. Marriage is just not that important or relevant to a 12 year old, and it shouldn't be for superhero characters in comicbooks. A 12 year old is mature enough to begin to understand and appreciate romance, and a good writer will be able to make stories that have romantic elements that older readers will also enjoy -- not merely tales of puppy love. But marriage is for moms and dads.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brian H. "[Dick Grayson] and Helena over on Earth-2 share a  brother/sister relationship."

If you read the some of the last Huntress stories, there was an attraction a little beyond that.

As for Dick and Donna - that was in the imaginary part of my suggestions. It just struck me as a pretty natural pairing. And more than once, both characters professed their (platonic) love for each other. If we're walking the "What If-" path... it intrigues me.

I don't know if Superman should marry or not. When I've seen the Lois/Clark or Lois/Superman dynamic, I'm not sure I've ever seen her act in a manner that would be desirable to most men. Granted, Kal-El isn't most men, but still... she's long seemed like a pushy shrew to me.  There are other women, of course, but it just seems to me that Superman works better as a single man.

As for Batman, I think falling in love and marrying a normal woman would either blunt his edge, or make his wife a little nuts. As for Talia... well, that's far from normal ANYHOW. Attraction and sexual tension makes the character a little more interesting. Consummating it doesn't seem to match up wit Batman's mission. 'Corse, I haven't read a Batman story in a dog's age, so it may be far different by now...

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 August 2018 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think the Bob Newhart/Suzanne Pleshette marriage (without babies) could work in comics, or Hart To Hart. It can be something different and interesting to have married characters. Part of the problem with the X-Men introducing all these future Summers kids into their comics is it pretty much locked down any kind of developments for Cyclops or Marvel Girl/Phoenix as pretty much having to go there as they showed all these other futures where it went there. Boring.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2018 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric, I've gone back over the Huntress back-up series from Wonder Woman and still cannot find any reference to the Dick/Helena attraction you mention. Near the end of the Huntress TPB (which reprints the series up to #275) she's shown to be romantically involved with District Attorney Harry Sims. Some time around #268, she refers to Dick as her step-brother. She does so while stepping out of the shower, but the relationship between the two isn't shown to be anywhere near as steamy as the room itself was just a moment ago. 

It took awhile for me to find blogs that reprint pages from the series after that point, and I still cannot find anything that places the two in a relationship. Looking over pages and reviews from #276 up to #320, her love life appears to remain centered around the on and off again thing she had going with Sims. Can you point out what it is you're thinking of when you say they became more romantic? 

As for Batman's marriage to Talia, that was already taken care of back in the 70's when Talia told Bruce in an issue of DC Special Series that they were already wed, since in her culture it only requires the consent of the bride and her father to make a legal marriage. 

Rebecca, something very similar to the Bob Newhart situation you suggest already existed at DC with the marriage between Ralph and Sue Dibney, whose relationship was vaguely patterned after that of Nick and Nora Charles (The Thin Man/ The Elongated Man.) 

As for parallel futures locking down events in our timeline, theoretically both Rachel and Cable cannot both exist as they come from different versions of the X-Men's future. Both only establish that at some point in those characters' histories, Scott and Jean wound up together. In our timeline, everything is still up in the air. Granted, writers seem to want to play the notion that "our" world could still become the disaster that is the DOFP timeline, and so continue to lay into the similarities, allowing "foreshadowing" to play a large part in their stories, but really, we've already passed the point where either Rachel or Nathaniel's futures diverged. "Judgement Day" can't occur the way that it did in their histories. 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version