Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Who’d You Like To See Get Married? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

@Peter Martin: I think Scott and Jean got married about 15-20 years back.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

think the oldest one must be Bulletman and Bulletgirl.
Were they married in the Golden Age? I though they were just dating.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2018 at 8:09pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They did get married sometime in the '40s. "Shortly after Bulletman began his crime-fighting career, he created a second helmet for his girlfriend and later wife Susan Kent, daughter of Police Sergeant Kent who adopted the name Bulletgirl."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 1:03am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't know that anyone else would read the book, but I'd like to see a series featuring Mon-El and Shadow Lass from the Legion, together, absent the rest of the team, as they explore the galaxy in one another's company. Back in the original "Adult Legion" story, Mon-El was out on the fringes of the galaxy alone, clearing the path for colonists, because Shadow Lass had died saving the Science Asteroid at some point in the past. A title featuring just the two of them in love would be encouraging while having the potential for tragedy hovering just off-panel. If divided timelines and all that multiversal rot the LSH keeps regurgitating is to have any meaning at all, allowing us to see a happy ending where only sadness prevailed originally might provide it.

I'd also like to see an issue of What If built around the premise of Ben having married Alicia around the time Diablo came up with a "cure" for Ben's condition. Keeping Ben in a half-Thing, half-man state with the possibility of occasional returns to full humanity and thus a family, Ben's progress through the Marvel Universe could have taken a different course altogether. 

It's odd to think of it now, but nearly all of my favorite characters have experienced marriage at some point or another in their history. Jay and Joan Garrick, Mr. & Mrs. Superman, the Batman and Catwoman of Earth-2, and even Plastic Man has had a bad marriage or three outside of strict continuity. I was a fan of that Ka-Zar and Shanna book from the 80's, and as a kid I read the JLA story wherein Adam Strange married Alanna. I enjoyed Garth and Imra getting together as Chuck and Luornu had before them, and then all four of them coming back during the Earthwar saga, forcing the Legion to drop its prohibition of married team members. 

I like to see characters dedicate themselves to something greater than themselves & to aspire to what might just be a foolishly idealized state, yet making that work on their terms, as a couple. I like seeing them accept responsibility and become parents. It was easy for me as a kid to enjoy such tales because Earth-2 was right there, filled with heroes who had already put off life for too long or had grasped hold of it years before and we were only just finding out about it now. I liked the young twenty-something Legionnaires grappling with their various romances. It grounded the characters and made them more real; more human to strive for romance, love, and lives spent in one another's company.

Since the beginning, I've preferred my heroes to be human beings rather than wind-up battlebots. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Robbie - Aunt May DID marry J Jonah

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 6:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I always thought Batman and Wonder Woman might make a nice couple.
--

I actually shudder at the thought. 
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

In general I don't think superheroes should get married unless they've been introduced as married (Katar and Shayera) or almost married (Reed and Sue). In some cases it's OK, because once they get married, nothing really changes (Bruce Banner and Betty Ross). 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Brian H. - Sign me up for a subscription to "Lar and Tasmia - The Shadow of Justice"

IMAGINARY:
I'd like to have seen Dick Grayson and Donna Troy get married. 

If we can be mature about it, I would want to see Kara Zor-El and Barbara Gordon get hitched too.

Controversial as it would have been (and would still be), after the breakup with Reed Richards, I'd be interested in a marriage between Sue Storm and Ben Grimm. In fact, considering the way Marvel went way down the hill, I wonder that no FF writers ever did a storyline where Sue and Ben had an affair. That seems about the level of their plots over the past few years.

Dick Grayson and Helena Wayne (of Earth-2): This was being set up in the Huntress strip just before the Crisis. Dick is what, maybe 10 or 12 years older than Helena? It's not unheard of.

CANON:

This is REALLY hard for me because I'm not reading current comics, so I don't even know who's alive or not, or if they're good or evil. But what the hell... you'll all correct me, I'm sure!

Freddy Freeman and Mary Batson - this one seems like rather a natural match up, but when the stories were done, romance wasn't really on Earth-S.

Kitty Pryde and Peter Rasputin - this seemed to be set up from day one, and it's about time to follow through with a story set up, I feel.

Rokk Krinn and Lydda Jath - same as Kitty and Peter. From Night Girl's first appearance, she had a crush on Cosmic Boy. Consummate it already.

I'd want to say Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter, because it's so natural, and so ingrained. I just don't know if that would make interesting stories. Then again... they're made for each other.

I'm gonna ditto that previous one for Thor and Sif.

There's a few ideas for you anyhow...

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
Robbie - Aunt May DID marry J Jonah

Blimey, how out of the loop am I, eh? 

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Aunt May married Jonah's father. Because we all spent so much time wondering about his parents. So yes, Peter and mayor Jonah are (or were, I don't know) stepbrothers.

Edited by Mario Ribeiro on 15 August 2018 at 10:56am

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm old enough that I do not demand any marriages of my favorite characters.  That said, I am a hopeless romantic, so I would be disnhonest if I said there were not some I would enjoy.

Ben and Alicia immediately come to mind.
I was pro Peter and Mary Jane
I only really know Pepper due to the movies, but I wouldn't mind seeing her and Tony.  But that relationship is ten years older than when it "began".

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2018 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I'm more in the "miss old marriages" category. Pete and MJ; Vision and the Scarlet Witch; and the Hawks mainly.

I'm certainly in the "marriage is a perfectly acceptable story development" camp, but I can't think of any specific current characters where I like the relationship enough to want to make it "permanent."

I guess Cosmic Boy and Night Girl would be nice, if nothing else because it means there would be a Legion of Super-Heroes comic for them to get married in. :-) Pre-New 52 Nightwing and Oracle would have worked for me with sufficient build up.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version