Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Alternative Word To "Graphic Novel" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Oh, and I call my stuff(s) a 'graphic comic' and also, I do the opposite, I break my graphic novels down into individual 'floppies' which I call episodes.

comiXology STILL calls them a collection.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 6:10am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Civilian population...?

••

"Civilian" is a common term in businesses of all kinds, used to refer to those who are not part of that business.

"Keep it simple. There are civilians in the audience."

Back to Top profile | search

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've only heard police, martial artists and military use that term.
Learn something new every day.

Actually what I hear most is "regular people".
Musicians and artists use that term....mostly creatives....

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"Years ago, at a party, someone asked me if I'd ever done a graphic novel. I cited the She-Hulk book, producing a look of confusion. "No, I mean a graphic novel. Something serious."

Something "serious". So to be called a graphic novel, only content like social commentary, realism, metaphors and allegories aimed at so-called mature readers is allowed?

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I liked when Bone was first published; he named the company Cartoon Books.:^)

Yes, European, often volume numbered, collections which usually stay in print are 'Albums', pretty vague as a term though. Many outside Europe might not realize that most of these Albums get put together from serialized pages and half pages that initially ran in cheaper dated weeklies, like Donald Duck Weekblad or Spirou. When they collect up a bunch of thinner U.S. comics in a trade paperback it's the same thing to me. In Japan they collect up the stories from the Shonen Sunday Weekly or Margaret Weekly into smaller paperback sized 'kan' or volumes that stay in print.

SF/F fans used to refer to non-SF/F readers as 'mundanes'. I suppose Harry Potter's 'muggles' term may've been drawn from that. I don't care for either.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 07 August 2018 at 10:56am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I've heard "civilian" used in many contexts online. Also, the quotes are important. 

I've never watched UFC. If I became interested in it (not likely), until that time, if a passionate, hardcore UFC viewer described me as a "civilian", I'd not have a problem with that. Not saying they would use that terminology, just that I wouldn't mind.

I also welcome non-readers. Nothing better than getting a person to pick up a comic or trade! 

Speaking of terminology, the word "annual" makes me smile. Here in the UK, a superhero annual is (or was) a hardback book with at least 3 US reprints inside - and often puzzles, text stories, fact files, etc.

This 1986 annual, for instance, reprinted an issue of SUPER POWERS, an issue of THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, and an issue of DC COMICS PRESENTS:

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I love the hardcover British annuals! The home grown ones would be all new material, some of which would be more generic puzzles and non-fiction features, but later they tended more toward reprints. I have some for Doctor Who, Countdown and Century 21. Some comics would be in just two colours though, not four. The U.S. character annuals were collections of comic reprints, but so were the British titles reprints of the U.S. comics sometimes with a new cover or splash page. Sometimes when two colour the colours didn't seem to relate at all to the U.S. comics' colour schemes. I remember how impressed i was though with an early '80s British X-Men annual that reprinted Neal Adams Sentinels stories in colour!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I am a comic book collector. I have been a comic book collector since I was 7. When I describe my self to the un-anointed I say I have a giant collection of comic books. I use the term because it is accurate and because I want to breakdown the term as a pejorative (or being childish). I am a 52 year old man who reads comic books. 

I wonder if this term, comic book, is a little bit like Superman's red trunks. The trunks may seem like a barrier to new readers but if the term comic book (or Superman's red trunks) stops you from exploring serialized fiction this medium may not be for you? 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

New readers are not bothered by Superman's red trunks. They only bother elist fanboys who are trying -- and failing -- to be cool.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Trunks were a total non-issue when I first got into comics. Or any other attire, for that matter. I just enjoyed the stories like most of us did.

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Trunks????
Aren't trunks what wrestlers wear?

Can't wait till you guys cover the tons of "wearing their underwear on the outside" - I used to hear that all the time.

And Men in tights.....but that one is  whole 'nother thing.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There's a word here - "Bookazine" - which I dislike. It's basically a very thick magazine, usually a special edition of a magazine. Not sure why they can't just do what they did years ago, which was give a magazine extra pages and call it "Summer Special" or something.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version