Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Alternative Word To "Graphic Novel" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Pictome

Ah the heck with it , "graphic novel" does roll off the tongue rather easily but I still say "comic" most of the time.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Pictome? 

I think I'm gonna fall in love with you! :)

I can picture a "Pictome" section in my local bookstore. Doug, from now on, anything you do or say is okay by me! :D

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 6:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Important: the "new word" should not prompt anyone to ask "what's that?"

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Thanks Robbie!

I'll be extra careful what I say and do from now on. Don't want you to be guilty by association :-)

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2018 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Brazilian term is something like "Stories in Little Pictures" (or Stories in Panels). Can't get easier than that.

Of course, if any of you start using it, people will think you mean something different than Comic Books.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I remember when THE DARK KNIGHT was first released that the format became known as 'The Dark Knight Format' for a while which led DC to scramble to try to find an alternative.

When you had comics printed on Baxter paper, that became known as the Baxter Format.

I agree that they are all Comics and when I talk about them I talk Comics. I do mention trade paperback as a 'format' to mean many comics collected in a single 'thing' but only to produce clarity of what format I am talking about. But if a see a collection of such things, that is a collection of Comics to me, and I would talk about them as such.

Graphic Novel is just a ridiculous, pretentious attempt to discredit the beauty that is a Comic.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 1:50am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I used to read Tin Tin and Asterix as a kid. I think I simply called them books.

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 2:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Isn't Tintin and Asterix simply called albums because of the format?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Years ago, at a party, someone asked me if I'd ever done a graphic novel. I cited the She-Hulk book, producing a look of confusion. "No, I mean a graphic novel. Something serious."

Fortunately I understood the problem, and tried to explain that "graphic novel" described format, not content. But I realized I was trying to explain industry terms to someone who thought comic books were one thing, and graphic novels were something else. She'd read MAUS, but would never deign to read SHE-HULK.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 5:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There was a period in the 90's when the term "graphic novel" was adopted by the more snobby type of comic reader. There was a subset of fans who would read "serious" books like Sandman, etc. and looked down on super hero books as being juvenile in comparison. That gave rise to the whole "I read graphic novels, not comic books!" attitude. As Mr. Byrne noted above, the term refers to format and not content, but the misconception about the terminology leaked through to the civilian population who viewed comics in general as something that would never approach "real" literature. Over time, being a comic reader has become somewhat acceptable but the attitude is often still there. You even see it i the credits of shows like The Walking Dead that state it's "based on the series of graphic novels" by Kirkman, etc. 

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The term graphic novel seems to be more of a generic marketing term for bookstores, libraries and whatnot who think the word comic is too lowbrow. I have used it when teaching, as that is the term most students and other teaching staff understand. I guess this is because most kids only see comics as collections in school libraries these days and very few of them would know where to pick up a monthly title.

And count me in as someone who hates the term floppy. Comic is my preference, but I can also live with them being called periodicals, though that term is pretty non-specific and relates to most magazines. Floppy also suggests that comics are less important than collections/trades.

Edited by Rod Collins on 07 August 2018 at 5:46am

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2018 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Maybe it's also important to stores to make a distinction because graphic novels can sit on the shelf indefinitely where comic books are rotated.

But I do chuckle at how there is so much concern over high-brow terminology for different comic books and then this quote....

the misconception about the terminology leaked through to the civilian population

Civilian population...?
lol
Bring on the trekkie v treker wars

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version