Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Please come back Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I didn't know that that was your intention, JB, but I like it. Their HQ should always be the Baxter Building-- the name is as iconic as the team. Thanks for sharing that bit of info!
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"I pointed out that their "meeting" was in the middle of a pitched battle, and anyway they had plenty of time to get "reaquainted" in the hours flying back to Westchester."

--

Cyclops made no reference to having met Sunfire and Banshee already in GSXM#1 either, so no reason for anyone to get their panties in an uproar.*

*I know that's an incorrect term, but it was ad-libbed on an early episode of Always Sunny, and it stuck with me.

Geoff Lander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I would love to read the untold Silver Surfer vs. Dark Phoenix story.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Graphic novels are a great source of collected Byrne material. No doubt, the medium has changed. While I enjoy the success of the McFarlanes, Liefelds, Portacios, Silvestris and company - with rare exception the art and stories just really pale in comparison. What's equally too bad is that as brilliant and entertaining and just outright enjoyable as his work is - Byrne can't seem to get along with anyone for long. He needs to be his own boss. Next Men, I read from start to finish and the ending was beyond good. And JB made the FF what they're meant to be - a dysfunctional family and the X-Men represent every minority there is. Like Kevin Durant or LeBron James... If you want Byrne, give him whatever he wants. He might be as quirky and difficult as people say, but he doesn't suffer fools and he mastered his craft and THAT is why we all miss him so much in mainstream comics. And no matter how many shows you go to. No matter what stories are told - I challenge you to find one person who knows this industry that says, "Oh JB his work just isn't any good." And if they do - they're right. He isn't just good. He's brilliant. "Nuff said!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Graphic novels are a great source of collected Byrne material.

••

I was talking with Scott Dunbier, the new Byrne Whisperer at IDW, about doing a NEW VISIONS trade paperback -- 100+ pages telling a single story.

Sort of NEW VISIONS - THE MOVIE.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think Marvel knows it's broken. I think
the E-I-C doesn't have as much control
over content like they used to. I think
there are a couple of bad eggs spoiling
the dozen.

As for the fix...I've said it before, drop
the line down to 25 titles and bring in
established talent to entice older readers
to come back and improve the distribution
model to snag new readers. Putting comics
in Wal-Mart and GameStop is a step on the
right direction. Oh and here is a huge
thing, no matter how loud some fans can
be; no matter how much you hate their
politics, don't be ugly with fans on
social media.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Before anything realistic can be done, the stranglehold of the DSM must be broken. Sorry, retailers. Once you were our saviors, but that didn't last long. Greed -- both in the Shops and in the Publishers -- turned something good into something very, very bad.

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2018 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I agree with JB on this point.

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Rereading Netx Men now. Honestly.. I don't know JB. We've had a few exchanges and he signed a few things for me in my teen and pre-teen years. I have heard the stories everyone else has heard - But the man just writes and draws great comics. I mean... Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, even better than George and Marv (both of whom I know and like very much) - He's just to good not to be doing this and profiting from it. If you're reading this - I wish you could come back to the MU in any capacity and just fix it. It's not horrible like it was in the mid late 90s but its like people don't know the characters. Maybe do something with Walt and Louise or old Joe Sinnott. I'd put your best work on par with anything Jack and Stan or Len and Bernie ever did, even in the context of the times in which they were written or drawn. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm not better than George. George is a National Treasure.

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

George is a treasure and a gentleman. I am just partial to your work and attention to details and character. But that was sort of my falling out with Liefeld - when he basically trashed George because he was supposedly angry Rob became more famous than him. That is NOT my experience with George, who has always been kind and generous to others and has a deep and abiding social conscience. 

PS - Who is your favorite inker to work with?

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

---is how many fans (and, more damaging, retailers) are resistant to stories set in the Past.---JB

Which strikes one as odd, since all the Hidden Years art seems to be resold at some fairly weighted prices. You'd think that speculators would be keen to get some more Byrne X-Men pages along with mint condition copies of the comic they appeared in.

I personally would love to see my Hidden Years or any such outing from you John.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version