Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Please come back Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don't really think JB would be a kind of Messiah who'd save the comic book industry, but I'm certain his comics would be real fun. I'd love to read anything new, not necessarily superheroes. His most recent comic books were among his best IMHO.

I don't lose hope.
(Should I say I don't lose Superman? I'm sure the "S" stands for Superman. ;-) )

Edited by Sergio Saavedra on 25 June 2018 at 11:44am
Back to Top profile | search

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

OR Batman Dark Knight wasn't supposed to a factual story. But it was so good- everyone just MADE IT THE FUTURE. So now, all roads MUST lead to Batman Dark Knight Returns.

I'm down for a Star Wars reboot where they stop this crap and bring back Han, Luke and Leia - - even if she's barely there, back turned to us often and mostly digital. lol, not lol.

So there can always be ONE MORE VERSION or universe.
It would be kinda cool to imagine a bunch of veteran legends get together and make their own company. Take it all back to the classics.
The first big meeting where they decide a timeline and basic origin or where the characters came from......

I would make a Beyonder-type, god-level that can suck characters out of their timeline and drop them into this new universe. So now, imagine different eras of characters interacting. Scrambled teams and unions.

What, wait, what am I doing?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They're from Disney Earth Two or Earth M if memory serves. And why is it when I start a new conversation.. I receive an email message any time anyone says anything?

Drew Spence
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You're subscribed to this thread. I see a link on the bottom left that says

unsubscribe from replies.
or
Watch this topic for replies...

Choose your pill.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dark Knight was a big turning point toward superheroes for serious adult sequential graphic narrative readers. I bought it at the time, was having so many people telling me I had to etc., and what i disliked about it was just that it was Batman. Albeit in an alternate future it was still taking this pre-existing character developed originally for twelve year olds and doing something at least a bit extreme and more like an underground comic. The huge fan sales made it an official version I guess, so you got the Year One darker remake. Somewhere there is a rasping movie Batman I found hysterical, could've been a parody of all the grittiness and supposed real violence, except as with First Blood where people took Rambo to be a hero, they didn't seem to really question a moral absolutist fascistic Batman that was now virtually The Punisher with a cape. I did see in some late '90s JLA comics that he was back to being the Batman I knew in the late '70s-early '80s. As long as these kids put all the toys back into their proper place at the end we're fine. :^)

Earth 1 and Earth 2: 1956
The Marvel Universe: 1961
Alternate Future X-Men: 1981
DC Crisis: 1985
Dark Knight and Watchmen: 1986
Professor Xavier And The X-Men: 1995
Hidden Years X-Men: 1999
DC Rebirth: 2016

I think my list is missing a lot of other major pieces.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 6:46pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB states the two most crucial factors at play:

Comic companies that don't realize they are broken and need fixing.

And retailers who won't order enough copies to meet the demand.

Even if Marvel would miraculously admit they need JB's input, they would likely tamper with his storylines to include their continuity or crossovers. Rather than let him do what he does best, they'll want to have control. His craven editor will take all the credit for success or blame JB if it doesn't live up to the internet's expectations.

Sight unseen retailers cut their orders by 50% from issue #1 to #2, and again to #3. Before the first issue is even on the stands a title's fate is decided by the retailer. This is what killed DANGER UNLIMITED. There are few retailers who will order copies above what regular customers pre-order. There needs to be shelf copies for random customers to discover this series.

That being said: PLEASE DO IT, JB!

This world needs more JB comicbooks.
(Kick out 8 or 12 issues as a limited series and if you still feel like maybe you've already done your share, so be it.)

DISCLAIMER:
I know full well that I suck at persuasion and I'm probably just irritating you, but dangit, it would be glorious!

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It's true. And as I said, I don't care if others think JB is a prickly pear. I've never picked up anything he wrote or drew and thought, "Well that wasn't any good." When I was growing up, I'd be hard-pressed to find anything as fine as his work. Even his new takes on old characters paid homage to the great artists and writers who came before. That Fantastic Four story where the Puppet Master tries to give Alicia Masters and the FF a normal life, it was so good I think it made me cry. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

...it made me cry.

•••

Now THAT'S a compliment!

Paul Gibney
Byrne Robotics Member.

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jon Levin wrote:
And why is it when I start a new conversation.. I
receive an email message any time anyone says anything?

In your profile you have selected YES to Notify me of replies to post.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Again, tho, this would run up against the anal fanboys we demand to know "why we weren't told this before?!?"

+++

That fanboy mindset irks me.

I have a cousin called Paul. Why didn't anyone here know? Because I'm telling you for the first time RIGHT NOW!

When the JLA/Avengers crossover happened, I remember one person saying, "So why haven't they met before?" Because, like in real life, we meet everyone for the first time.

I "met" my mother after she gave birth. I met partners on a date for the first time. I will meet new friends in the future - for the first time.

•••

One of my most frustrating experiences of this mindset came when I had Ororo appear in HIDDEN YEARS. Many X-Fans howled that this was "impossible" since Storm and Jean had not recognized each other in GSX-MEN 1.

I pointed out that their "meeting" was in the middle of a pitched battle, and anyway they had plenty of time to get "reaquainted" in the hours flying back to Westchester.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"It saddens me how a whole generation of comic book fans have no idea who he is."

I don't think that's true.  Aren't we told that the graphic novel/trade paperback side is half the industry now?  Every time I go into that section of a bookstore, I can probably find half a dozen to a dozen different books full of Byrne material.  And I'm sure that JB's art style (and willingness to stay on a series for a good amount of time) makes his books very welcoming to old and new readers alike.  They're reprinting these things left and right for a reason!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"i have not even stepped into a comic shop in years!"  "Sure, but would you find it there? Or would the book run into the self-fulfilling "Byrne's stuff doesn't sell" prophecy?"

I finally bought STOWAWAY TO THE STARS (yay!), easily finding it because my LCS had it prominently displayed.  (Boy, I sure miss this squarer graphic novel format!  I like the wider pages.)

It also is always fully stocked with STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS.  Some shop owners know what they're doing.

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version