Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Please come back Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

John - Are you still in contact with Marvel? I can only assume you must still receive some royalty checks. Do you have someone who can reach out to the company for you and are you genuinely interested in the idea  of "Hidden Years?"

I'm a PhD, a law student and negotiate teacher contracts. I believe I can help you get what you and the fans would want if you allowed me to do a little fact finding. May I look into it?
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

like David ... the return of "Hidden Years" would not only make me buy an X-Book again - it would make me buy A book again ... i have not even stepped into a comic shop in years!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm a PhD, a law student and negotiate teacher contracts. I believe I can help you get what you and the fans would want if you allowed me to do a little fact finding. May I look into it?

•••

Best not.

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

OK. I'm sure you know what's best for you.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

like David ... the return of "Hidden Years" would not only make me buy an X-Book again - it would make me buy A book again ... i have not even stepped into a comic shop in years!

•••

Sure, but would you find it there? Or would the book run into the self-fulfilling "Byrne's stuff doesn't sell" prophecy?

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My notion of a "pocket universe" wouldn't even be explicitly set in the (so-called) past.

It would just be whatever JB created it to be. The adventures wouldn't be "hidden" beyond never having been told before -- which is what all great comicbooks really are, eh? Timeless and new all at once! JB would have the power -- ah, the power! -- to accept or ignore anything.

And now watch Marvel and DC just run to give JB complete carte blanche!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Someone suggested -- was it here? -- a series modeled on MARVEL FANFARE, except instead of leftovers by other writers and artists, it would be new "flashback" stories by me.

Again, tho, this would run up against the anal fanboys who demand to know "why we weren't told this before?!?"

Dale E Ingram
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think it (Hidden Years) wouldn't sell. It wouldn't really have anything to do with you, but unfortunately you'd probably still get the blame for it.

The thing is, Marvel's gotten themselves into a real mess with the original X-Men team. Even if they're able to resolve it, I have a feeling those characters and time period will be hands off for a long time afterwards.

Edited by Dale E Ingram on 25 June 2018 at 11:14am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It was nice for awhile having the Marvel comics kind of all work with each other in a seemingly consistent 'universe'.But I turn back to the older DC comics where they'd have Jimmy Olsen marry Supergirl and then at the end it was just an 'imaginary' story for fun, a dream... well, didn't we all know they were all imaginary and made up? When did continuity become such a strangling prison? Was it the seemingly needed Crisis simplifying at DC in the mid '80s when things got complicated for them? Was it the Days Of Future Past story in X-Men becoming some kind of absolute has to fit thing? The issuing of no-prizes being taken too seriously by nitpicking fan readers?

I would love more Hidden Years, I enjoyed that so much it got me back into reading super character comics. I did kind of see references to things that were not 1969-70, but at a point I just said, it's a comic book, I'm just going to go with it. They can mention Mel Gibson movies or have PCs on desks with mouses. Do I need to know where Huey, Dewey and the other guy came from in Donald Duck? Or where the eggs Grandma Duck serves for breakfast on the farm come from? :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 June 2018 at 11:29am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Do I need to know where Huey, Dewey and the other guy came from in Donald Duck?

•••

As established in their first appearance, they are the children of Donald's cousin, Della.

Not sure how that makes them his nephews.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"As established in their first appearance, they are the children of Donald's cousin, Della."

An entire saga must lie behind this then; they're holding out on us! A tale that couldn't be told because of Junior Woodchuck security clearances even. :^)

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 June 2018 at 11:41am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Again, tho, this would run up against the anal fanboys we demand to know "why we weren't told this before?!?"

That fanboy mindset irks me.

I have a cousin called Paul. Why didn't anyone here know? Because I'm telling you for the first time RIGHT NOW!

When the JLA/Avengers crossover happened, I remember one person saying, "So why haven't they met before?" Because, like in real life, we meet everyone for the first time.

I "met" my mother after she gave birth. I met partners on a date for the first time. I will meet new friends in the future - for the first time.

Why is it so hard to grasp?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 25 June 2018 at 11:43am

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version