Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: October 07 2018 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yes, the “stealth marketing” received by HIDDEN YEARS is NOT something I would want to see repeated!!
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 07 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 2  

My guess is “no formal discussions” just means “you can’t act like I lied to you if this thing falls through.”

Although, I do like to imagine people getting together in tuxedos and ball gowns whenever I hear the phrase “formal discussions,” so perhaps CB is just bemoaning the lack of a black tie.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 07 2018 at 5:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

Yes, the “stealth marketing” received by HIDDEN YEARS is NOT something I would want to see repeated!!
+++++++++++++

I have the sneaking suspicion that "Byrne draws the X-Men/Wolverine again!" would be hard to market stealthily!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: October 07 2018 at 9:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

I was just sitting at the ol' drawing board, reviewing these pages one more time, and I realized something.

Many a time I have said these characters (except for Cyclops and X*) were not the "real" X-Men to me. That I took the assignment to pencil UNCANNY because if was SOME X-Men if not THE X-Men.

But as I look at these pages, I feel that something has changed, somewhere in the dark passageways of my mind. Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby and Warren are the X-Men -- but now, so are these other guys!

* Jean, under Chris' handling, did not feel like the real Jean, to me. And now we know why.......

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 08 2018 at 4:31am | IP Logged | 5  

Glad you now feel that JB.

For some, myself included, these guys are the X-Men. I only read the early team's adventures much later and what's come since has rarely been of interest to me so this team is the real deal to me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: October 08 2018 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 6  

When I started on HIDDEN YEARS I expected there would be much rejoicing in fandom. Byrne was back on the X-Men! And it was the REAL X-Men!

No such luck. And I realized that for most fans, like you, the All New, All Different X-Men are the REAL X-Men.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 08 2018 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 7  

I think ( and I've seen this in some articles and customers) That the original X-men failed. relegated to reprints before being cancelled.

Soon the "new" X-man had been around longer than the "old" X-Men! Which is why I set my sights on GS#1 to current for Colelcting back issues. (with 129 being my first back issue ever.) 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 08 2018 at 10:40am | IP Logged | 8  

John Byrne wrote:
...I realized that for most fans, like you. the All New, All Different X-Men are the REAL X-Men...

I must confess, that is true to some extent.

Even though I was first exposed to the original X-Men via reprints... "X-Men" #3 in "Marvel's Greatest Superhero Battles (Fireside, 1978), and  "Marvel Treasury Edition #18: Astonishing Spider-Man" (1978), which reprinted "Marvel Team Up" #4 with the original X-Men, sans the superhero outfits... I do still feel MY X-Men were the team I first read in 'Uncanny X-Men" #122 (1979). Not coincidentally, that is also the issue that made JB my favorite artist! I enjoyed the original team, but the then-new team was exciting to me, and I loved the story and art more than any other comic I was reading during that period.

Not only do I agree that for those of us in my generation that grew up reading your X-Men comics, that team is to us the "real" team for us, I also think "Hidden Years" came out in an era where fans weren't as appreciative as maybe they should have been for such a series. Now, however, the fans -- especially older fans -- have seen the characters mishandled and so poorly treated for so long, this series will be welcomed by a sizable portion of the readership. And, yes, it being the "All-New" team will make a difference to many fans.

It certainly will get many who dropped Marvel in recent years to pick up a Marvel comic again.

I hope Marvel can work something out with you, JB. I also hope they keep whatever agreement you both might make, and take proper advantage to promote this series as the event it is.

Edited by Matt Hawes on October 08 2018 at 10:44am
Back to Top profile | search | www

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 08 2018 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 9  

When I started on HIDDEN YEARS I expected there would be much rejoicing in fandom. Byrne was back on the X-Men! And it was the REAL X-Men!

No such luck. And I realized that for most fans, like you, the All New, All Different X-Men are the REAL X-Men.

For me, they both are. Then again I read the late '60s Thomas/Adams/Palmer stories after reading the '70s and '80s stories. I just prefer to ignore most stories after things started to get "convoluted for the hell of it" with the introduction of Rachel Summers as an X-Man of the mainstream timeline. 

(I now realize I'm just repeating what Leigh DJ Hunt already said. Mea culpa.)

Edited by Adam Schulman on October 08 2018 at 7:12pm

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 08 2018 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 10  

I was introduced to the X-Men with the new team fighting the old team, albeit it robot doppelgangers, in issue #100. It wasn't until much later I discovered the history of the team(s). That being said, I always enjoyed the cameos of the originals during the Claremont/Byrne run. To me, they're all the X-Men and I'm delighted when JB works with any and all combinations of the characters.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 09 2018 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 11  

These guys feel real to me

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: October 09 2018 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

JB, I really enjoyed the way you drew the Blob in XMHY. I don't have anything
against the super heavyweight version, but your "old school" Fred Dukes was
fun to see.