Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2018 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

Those are both great choices!

JB, I ask this out of curiosity, not out of trying to generate anything, but what stands in the way of this becoming an actual comic we can buy (I'll buy 2, at least ;)  ) ? 
Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 12:22am | IP Logged | 2  

From the posted article: 

“That was more of me being a fan and saying hello,” Cebulski said during the panel’s Q&A session. “We haven’t really discussed anything formally. I just wanted to let John know the opportunity for discussion is open.”

Very enthusiastic about the possibility of this series. I do hope it happens. Sounds like there’s been no discussion since (based on the article). 

Edited by Nathan Greno on 07 October 2018 at 12:24am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 3  

JB, I ask this out of curiosity, not out of trying to generate anything, but what stands in the way of this becoming an actual comic we can buy (I'll buy 2, at least ;) ) ?

•••

Marvel has screwed me over twice. I just want to be absolutely sure I won’t be going three for three.

Charles Nelson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 4  

Understood, but does that mean you are talking to somebody over there, even if unofficially? 

Do questions about this topic make it less likely to happen? If so, I'll stop asking!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 5  

I’ve been bouncing emails back and forth with CB. Unfortunately, he has, himself been bouncing all over the place, this being convention season.

Ah, for the Good Old Days! Archie Goodwin got me on X-MEN in the first place with a handshake! CB and I could have taken care of that when we had breakfast in Boston. We even had Chris Ryall there as a witness!

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 6  

You've already answered more questions on the topic of negotiations than I probably would have, JB, so I understand if you don't want to answer any more, but I'm curious as to what would need to be in the contract in order for you to feel confident you wouldn't be going "three for three"?

I'm also interested on your thoughts about this quote from the article posted above: "With Elsewhen, Byrne is offering his take on where his X-Men run would’ve gone without Shooter’s influence." Is that an accurate reflection of your intent with this project?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 7  

Autonomy is my main concern. Since this project could obviously do no harm to the mainstream Marvel universe(s), I want to be sure no harm can be done to this project. This would mean a guarantee that there will be none of the editorial incompetence that vexed HIDDEN YEARS, for instance. That nothing would be changed without consulting me.

In Boston, CB seemed on board with that. We parted company with him wanting to check the sordid matter of coin (as I like to call money matters). That’s not actually a great concern to me.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 8  

If it ever were to become formal I will get the outfit I wore to my brother's wedding out, but I expect everyone else here to rent some tuxs, okay? :^)

I'm kind of high on Al Milgrom lately. Is he still working? I did a search but not very good at it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Wills
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 12:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...but now they're starting to cramp!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

WOW so emails have been exchanged, breaksfast has been shared...just wow...soon we'll hear of the inker's choice...I can't wait.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

I really really hope it can happen but I really really don't want you to have another bad experience/falling out with Marvel, JB. 

So I'm torn. I'd like to think things will be different this time. Maybe it should be a limited series? Get in, tell the tale that needs telling then get out. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2018 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Considering how many customers I speak with at the shop that are very dissatisfied with the current output from Marvel, if thus X-Men project becomes a reality and is promoted  right,  it could be more of a big success than some might think.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version