Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 291 Next >>
Topic: Pencil Practice -- and Beyond! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 1  

My apologies, as the inking doesn’t do the pencils justice, but I had fun inking these on my iPad and wanted to share...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

I tried some inking earlier in photoshop, I gave up.

That is pretty cool for ipad.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

X-MEN -ELSEWHEN.....even if it is just fantasy that would be very cool to see print. 

Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

Seeing these pages is wonderful. Thank you! I really, really want X-MEN ELSEWHEN too. If only the fantasy could become a reality! My suggestion for your fantasy future Marvel book was the John Byrne version of X-MEN FOREVER, but the ELSEWHEN with your take diverging at the Death of the Phoenix sounds even better.

Mal Gardiner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 5  

WRT the inking thread, the thing foremost in my head while having a go at this is “don’t redraw! Don’t redraw!!” Trying to stay faithful to the line without simply being a tracer is quite an exercise. Having said that, I’m loving the exercise. Thanks for treating us, chief.

One thing I’ve found - digital inking (on my iPad Pro) is a boon for making corrections to sloppy inking (edited) but is much, much slower than pen and brush.

Edited by Mal Gardiner on 02 July 2018 at 12:05am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 6  

John Byrne wrote:
...Looking around the web, I'm starting to see samplings of people trying their hands at inking the first post in this thread, and across the board there seems to be one thing that's consistent: the pages look dead...

Joe Smith wrote:
...JB- I gotta disagree with the 'pages look dead'
comment!

...Are we sometimes our own worst critics?...

Joe, I think you got JB's comment wrong (JB, please correct me if I am wrong)... He isn't critiquing his own pencils when he said the pages look dead, but how his page was inked by others in the examples he saw.

Unless, I misunderstand your comment, Joe, but how else would JB be his own worst critic in this context?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 3:13am | IP Logged | 7  

Mal Gardiner wrote:
WRT the inking thread, the thing foremost in my head while having a go at this is “don’t redraw! Don’t redraw!!”...

Listen to that voice in your head. ;-)

Seriously, while an inker should embellish, those that over power and even actually redraw what a penciller has done are infuriating to me. Especially when we are talking about inking an artist of JB's caliber. (He's had a tad bit of experience, so I am thinking he knows what he's doing.)  An inker trying to "outdo" his penciller smacks of a back-up singer trying to sing over the lead singer in a band. An inker is there to compliment and enhance the pencils, not recreate them.

I recall when there was a fun project on this board a decade ago where several of us inked JB's pencils from an unpublished Fantastic Four story that was originally a submission JB created in the 1970s. There was one particular person who decided to literally redraw the page he 'inked." It was insulting, I thought. Even a young JB as an artist, when drawing those pages had a better grasp on storytelling than this guy did, but apparently he thought he was better than Byrne. He wasn't and isn't. Not to mention, it looked very out of place in the story the rest of us were working on.

An inker IS more than a tracer, really, but if they feel the need to overpower the pencils, maybe they just need to take an assignment where they are the pencil and ink artist themselves.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 02 July 2018 at 3:17am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 8  

JB, the pages you are sharing with us are great fun! It's awesome seeing new work from you!

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 9  

JB, I am constantly amazed at the combination of how
fast you work combined with the detail and "little
things" in your pencils. Like, I'm struck by how you
can follow the line of Ororo's thigh along through the
hole in her boot. Clearly, "detailed" does not have to
equal "slow"!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Pedro Cruz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 10  

Thank you so much for sharing these pages, JB! It's very nice to see these familiar faces back in action.

Come on, Marvel Comics, make X-MEN: ELSEWHEN (or something close to it) happen!  

BTW, my own two cents: NO ONE inks JB like JB! Those leaves, the vegetation, the textures... those are begging for JB's inks.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 4:52am | IP Logged | 11  

For some ufathomable reason, my inks tend to be more "open" than my pencils. Less use of heavy blacks. So part of the experiment here was to produce work I had no interest in inking myself.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 12  

I love the idea of X-MEN ELSEWHEN!
Where might the story have gone, with Jean dead (and the Phoenix gone)?
Or... what if we went back a bit further and wrapped up "Days of Future Past" as intended, with a clear win for the X-Men instead of a big question mark hanging over them?
It's a terrific thought experiment, to consider how differently things might have gone.

<< Prev Page of 291 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version