Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Forced Patriotism... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Divide and conquer is being used by people on both sides of police and race. Search some instances of false claims against the police. They may be fewer recorded examples but how many racial abuse claims may be false. False claims do not take away from the seriousness of Race/police issues but they do show some are wanting to feed the fire instead of fight it.I know, some people will think I am missing the point and a few instances are irrelevant to the big picture but if some facts are disregarded conclusions can be flawed.

Here are some incidences that were not widely reported, maybe because they may not fit the accepted National news narrative. 

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/us/texas-trooper-cleared-sex- assault-claim/index.html 

http://www.fox5atlanta.com/national-news/body-camera-release d-after-a-sc-naacp-president-says-he-was-racially-profiled

http://wtvr.com/2018/05/07/body-cam-footage-released-after-r acism-accusations-go-viral/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5718479/Police-relea se-bodycam-disputing-black-councilmans-claim-targeted-racist -arrest.html
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

some people will think I am missing the point

——

If you think the issue is police vs race, then you ARE missing the point. Pointing out instances of profiling and abuse on the part of police is not anti-police; it’s anti-racism. False accusations do not invalidate the issue, and the fact that they exist doesn’t mean there are two sides.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I guess you missed the "False claims do not take away from the seriousness of Race/police issues", part of my post. I also never claimed pointing out instances of profiling and abuse on the part of police is anti-police".  Is not making false racial claim against police, claiming racism, racist?

Edited by Michael Sommerville on 26 May 2018 at 5:15pm

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There is a part of me that likes the idea of an all-
knowing, all-powerful God who can still let himself
get into a football game enough to take a side.

---

Probably doesn't, but believing he does can be a
strong morale boost.

And now the Death Crawl scene from Facing the Giants

https://youtu.be/-
sUKoKQlEC4

Edited by Thomas Woods on 26 May 2018 at 6:37pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There are people who haven't been listened to. Why would you want to encroach on what they are trying to say by pointing at exceptions to the experience they are trying very hard to communicate about? A woman is raped by someone she is in real fear of you want to balance what she says by dragging out some instances of a woman lying about it? I don't get that. It doesn't feel balanced. It seems the balanced approach is to recognize and acknowledge not debate. "Vegetables are healthy", "No, not for this person over here with a rare allergy." Uh, yes, okay, thanks so much for that contribution. :^|

We have heard the white generationally privileged male majorities side of things for hundreds of years don't forget, most of the histories were written by them as poor men and women were kept tied dawn to dusk to physical labors to subsist, and many minorities were not allowed to go to school for a long time or only to substandard supposed equivalents... it will be a long time before there is a need to balance things back to when I guess this myth of when America being so great was.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So, the obvious course of action for people who are upset about this decision
is to do exactly what the Conservatives did for the last two seasons. Boycott
the product.

Without taking a side in this debate, I'd just like to point out that I know
quite a few people who decided not to watch NFL games this past seasons
because they feel Colin Kaepernick has been wrongly blackballed.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I did misread it.  Sorry, Peter!
---------------------------------------------------
No problem at all, Matt.

Edited by Peter Martin on 27 May 2018 at 9:05pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

So, with NFL owners stating under deposition that they felt pressured by Trump to address the protests, is this more clearly a First Amendment issue?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Trump uninvites Philadelphia Eagles to WH

Mayor of Philadelphia on Trump: “our President is not a true patriot, but a fragile egomaniac obsessed with crowd size and afraid of the embarrassment of throwing a party to which no one wants to attend.”

Would have been great if the players who didn't want to go, instead choose to show up and kneel during the anthem right in front of him!

-C!

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

After all the division Trump stoked up I'm glad the entire team will not be going to shmooze and photo-op with president loud-mouth wannabe-tough-guy.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 1:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This really gets me. Not as a fan of the NFL, which I am, but as an American.  Trump's decision today is petty, vindictive and wrong.  Nothing new, granted, but one that is disappointing nonetheless.  

Here is an opportunity for a president (cough::Obama::cough) to mention that although we want to celebrate a shared cultural experience, we can be divided on how to do just that.   And then, you know, hand out the rings.  Instead?  Trump once again makes it about himself.  If individuals don't accept his terms 100%, then he'll be a baby and turn it upside down. Where Obama would turn this into a celebration of American diversity and independence, Trump instead turns it into a referendum on himself.  That's what it is. He's a child.  Plain and simple.

Trump above America.

He's a president without regard for history. What is being more American than standing up for what you believe in without fear of repercussions that will surely come?  That should be celebrated rather than marginalized.  That, above all, is what it means to be American.  

But not in Trumpland.  Nuh uh.  Oppose and it's considered an insult and insults must be dealt with in the harshest of terms.  Follow lock step with your hand above your heart as if that means jack shit except to the 35% base of Americans you're trying to cull for your reelection campaign.  

Fucking sad and, quite frankly, embarrassing. 

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Trump is just morally repulsive.

The last 6 Presidents from Carter to Obama may have done things that people disagreed with domestically and internationally, but these 6 men all did believe in the Office of the President and had respect for it, stood by their people, and understood their fundamental duty to protect and defend the constitutional order and the rule of law.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version