Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Forced Patriotism... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:49am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

With Trump, it's all in the name. He's spent his whole life being conditioned to believe he must trump everyone and everything. His whole psyche is warped by this. He cannot even form a thought that isn't dominated by, well, this need for dominance.

If he wasn't such a repugnant ass, I'd almost feel sorry for him.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As usual another stupid tweet trying to protect his ego. I had read that less than a dozen people from the team, including non-players, were going to go. If that is the case realistically there was no reason to have the White House visit. The team basically said they do not want to come to the party so he said you are not invited anyway. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

ITEM: As opposed to Mr. Byrne, I feel awful for him. Trump lives in a world of isolation, lack of appreciation, frustration, and solitary effort. This is a sad old man who has needs, and apparently a mental issue or two, and he has stepped up to the hardest job in the world anyhow. His life must be Hell.

That excuses NOTHING that he has done - not one pen stroke, not one uttered syllable. He is still intolerant, insulting, supercilious, self-obsessed, and everything else that is wrong with him. I feel compassion for him; I do not pardon him for one second of his tenure up to the occupation of the White House.

ITEM: I believe the precedent has been established for major league sports, as well as any other group who has previously come to White House to be recognized. Don't even bother. MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL - shucks, even the college teams - can all see that if they have to attend a celebration on Trump's terms, it's not worth it. These teams all have parades and celebrations in their home towns. Do they need to come to be overshadowed by a speech which will almost certainly turn to self-aggrandization by 45 FOR 45? Quite honestly, it's sounds like another form of insult and ridicule - and no one needs that.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I love sports, but for the life of me I don't understand the need for things like the national anthem at sporting events, and visits to the White House for championship teams.

These both seem like pointless traditions to me.

So ridiculous that now we have the military paying the NFL for their participation in national anthem ceremonies and Major League baseball has gone to special uniforms to celebrate Memorial Day and Independence Day which leads to more more merchandise sales (supposedly benefiting charities, but without transparency, who knows?)

The NBA seems to deal with this the best - while they do require players to stand during the national anthem (which lead to a showdown with Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf years ago), the are very supportive of their players' rights to be activists or to take public positions on important issues.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not one Philadelphia Eagle ever kneeled for the anthem, except for one pre-season player who didn't make the team. Also they didn't stay off the field in any kind of protest either, Trump seems to have 'confused' them with another team (but will he even admit to a small mistake like that, ha).

P.S.: Trump says he's "a winner" on this 'issue', and seems to think it will win the mid-terms.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 05 June 2018 at 4:55pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There is nothing wrong with Trump cancelling/modifying the event because the majority of the team was making a political or personal statement against Trump. I am sure Trump's stance on kneeling was one of a multitude of factors in their decision. Yes it is a moot point to rescind and offer when most refuse it anyway.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There is nothing wrong with Trump cancelling/modifying the event because the majority of the team was making a political or personal statement against Trump.

-----

He could have hosted an event for the small number of players who were still willing to attend. Instead, he made it about himself and threw an alternate "Celebration of America" for the "Eagles fans", who apparently showed up in business suits and were unable to name the Eagles quarterback.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Instead, he made it about himself and threw an alternate "Celebration of
America" for the "Eagles fans", who apparently showed up in business suits
and were unable to name the Eagles quarterback.

Thanks to Michael, my laptop keyboard is now covered in sorbet…

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

WHAT'S WRONG with Trump is that ONCE MORE he makes the issue about "patriotism and the flag" while IGNORING the real issue the players protested. He won't talk about racial inequality, a racist criminal justice system, or the nearly 400 black Americans who have been killed by police since Colin Kaepernick first began his demonstration nearly two years ago.

At this point, he's basically saying, "f*ck those black lives, kneel for ME now, peasants!"

What a horse's ass he is.

-C!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Instead, he made it about himself and threw an alternate "Celebration of 
America" for the "Eagles fans", who apparently showed up in business suits and were unable to name the Eagles quarterback.

Thanks to Michael, my laptop keyboard is now covered in sorbet…

Sorry!

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It has been reported six people were going including support staff, that is a big waste of time. This was a statement by the team and by Trump. The "Celebration of America" was idiotic in my opinion. 

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So now the NFL owners are now seen as fools due to they instituted changes that players have to stand on the field for the Anthem or stay in the locker room. 

They did this to appease 45 (and their bottom line) and the Dotard still fucked them.

Those 30 old rich white men (and one rich Pakistani-American) were played. Got what they deserved.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version