Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That's it! Thanks, and I hope you enjoy the holiday
weekend!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Since there is a New Mutants movie (TV series?) I suppose I should keep my eye out for a royalty check, to see if the current Marvel honors deals made by previous administrations.
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I remember Walter Langkowski dying in the pages of THE INCREDIBLE HULK just before JB took it over. That was in 1985. So this feels like a whole lotta nothing to me. And I don't believe for a minute that the Hulk is literally killing Sasquatch. He might die due to something the Hulk does, but that's different, of course. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Some folks don't understand the difference in this Marvel cash grab and JB killing Guardian in Alpha Flight #12. This is just a cheap way to sell a few more comics while Guardian's death was one of the defining moments in the Alpha Flight run which really made Heather Hudson a much more interesting character and brought her to the forefront of the title. Also I think it makes a huge difference when it's a character you actually created.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Has not all of Alpha Flight been dead at one time or another. I think there is a space on the back of the membership card that is for date of death, resurrection, and death again.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2018 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I saw some kind of Alpha Flight late '90s reboot in ads in some other comics and it was horrendous how exaggerated the drawing was, Sasquatch looked like some kind of sabre-toothed cross with Zabu. There was even a mini preview 'Flashback' comic where an insane slavering over-muscled Wolverine in yellow and blue all but killed 'Weapon Alpha' (Guardian) some time before Hulk #180-181. Maybe I'm against any extremes? I didn't like an extremely cartoony big-eyed 1997 X-Factor comic I just got at either even if the story was okay. If they want to do these extreme things they should say they are in some other extreme of super-cartoony universe of it's own. You can have a characters die, it's just the trumpetinging it all over that makes it look like a pathetic gimmick rather than something that will be satisfying as part of veracity in fiction.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 25 May 2018 at 8:01pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Has not all of Alpha Flight been dead at one time or another. I think there is a space on the back of the membership card that is for date of death, resurrection, and death again.

Multiple times dead for most of them. In fact, Brian Michael Bendis killed the whole team in a panel of New Avengers.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2018 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

There's little less enjoyable than having someone in your life die and turning to some entertainment just to see dead bodies thrown about indiscriminately for effect or attempted seriousness, no doubt worse the more you cared about the characters under a differentwriter. It's like getting a reaction with the most crude tools at your disposal when done badly. Maybe worse is the wisecracking desensitizing type of thing laughing about people getting killed.I saw some Lobo thing like that (plus he was preposterously monsterous and insane looking) with frag grenades or somesuch? I made the mistake of trying to watch the movies Get Shorty and Mr. And Mrs. Smith someone who liked them thought I might like at maybe the wrong time. Yuck.

I see broken toys mostly. If these characters are mere toys to a writer how much do they respect or care about their audience. Proceed with caution you'd think, but it seems like they've already lost most of us and almost all the kids frankly.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version